• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Are you thinking his actual position is striker? 

I'd go the other direction, he's a backup fullback for me.

I don't even like him at fullback because I don't think he anticipates anything.  He just runs.  In a defensive position, you must be able to anticipate.  Either 1v1 or off the ball. 

I think Muyl is in his best position, just that he's not particularly great at it.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

I think he has decent instincts. He GETS into spots. The problem is that the final ball or touch just are not there! This is why it's very frustrating watching him toll away on that wing. The thing is, for us to win something this season, we need more from that position. That position is a key offensive provider that needs to balance out Royer/BWP, and the more I've see this season, the more I think Muyl's minutes will plummet. Other guys are more deserving.

I'll give you an example even though they are not like for like in terms of position. Last year as per American Soccer Analysis, Veron had in 889 minutes, 7.53 xG+xA. Muyl in 2068 minutes had 8.6 xG+xA.  Veron absolutely should have been getting more minutes over Muyl. The more I've dived into the advanced statistics this off-season, the fact Muyl was getting that much time last year (at the expense of Veron as an example, who has some really high metrics on some other stats like passing chain, meaning being involved in sequences that created a shot)), makes me really wonder why Marsch rides this horse so much. 

Every coach has their blindspot and players they lean on. Muyl is Marsch's. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Are you thinking his actual position is striker? 

I'd go the other direction, he's a backup fullback for me.

Outside utility bench player. Zizzo 2.0. Can come on due to injuries or necessary rotation. Wont win the game for you, but unlike Zizzo he wont lose it either.

You need guys like him on your team. Im happy to have him and even happier hes a homegrown.

But no he shouldnt be a starter.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Outside utility bench player. Zizzo 2.0. Can come on due to injuries or necessary rotation. Wont win the game for you, but unlike Zizzo he wont lose it either.

You need guys like him on your team. Im happy to have him and even happier hes a homegrown.

But no he shouldnt be a starter.

I like the Lade comp better. Zizzo is harsh.

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Supports:metro
Maybe if he cuts off that stupid man bun he can get back to being just okay.
He is only 22 so he does have the chance to develop/improve just not at the expense of better options proving themselves.

And Olsen didn't turn DC into a bunch of whining, diving.. oh, nevermind

-MetroSquard

Slomojones

Slomojones

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
Hid biggest issue is decision making. A little composure and confidence could go a long way.
This post is dedicated to all the slow defenders of the world. Godspeed! my brothers

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Hid biggest issue is decision making. A little composure and confidence could go a long way.

He needs to see a head doctor. He does well and then seems to forget everything just when it is time to strike the ball. In HS our coach made us run laps if we shot a ball over the bar. Why he can't be taught how to kick a ball to keep it on frame amazes me, which is why i have to believe it is some kind of mental block.

Barcaredbulls

Barcaredbulls

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Muyl is a very good young player who has been an integral part of JM system since he took over. Has been contributing straight out of the academy since he was 19. Fantastic goal tonite along with Adams, Etienne, etc a tribute to the best MLS academy.

I am tired of reading barely literate posts from mental midgets like McSoccer who cheer on mediocre journeyman players like Veron whole disrespecting Muyl. One has to wonder was McSoccer born this stupid or was he dropped on his head as a child. FU and your offspring McSoocer !!

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Muyl is a very good young player who has been an integral part of JM system since he took over. Has been contributing straight out of the academy since he was 19. Fantastic goal tonite along with Adams, Etienne, etc a tribute to the best MLS academy.

I am tired of reading barely literate posts from mental midgets like McSoccer who cheer on mediocre journeyman players like Veron whole disrespecting Muyl. One has to wonder was McSoccer born this stupid or was he dropped on his head as a child. FU and your offspring McSoocer !!

I found Muyl's mom.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Very nice goal from Muyl tonight. That said, you did watch Muyl play against Tijuana, correct? Where Marsch had to make a halftime sub. Something Marsch almost never does. I give him credit for what he did tonight, but its one goal.

And, my critiscm was never of Muyl himself, it was always of Marsch for only give Alex a chance and never guys like Etienne, also an academy player.

Appreciate the shoutout, though. Peace to you and yours.

karbaz

karbaz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Football(soccer), Boxing, Tennis
  • Supports:Red Bull New York and FC Barcelona

when he's on his game...that.

"There is a myth that says you can't win by playing beautiful"

- Carles Rexach, Barcelona Legend

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

His touches in the final third are often infuriating and he shouldn't be a starter, but the perception is way worse than his actual ability. He's a solid rotation player. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

His touches in the final third are often infuriating and he shouldn't be a starter, but the perception is way worse than his actual ability. He's a solid rotation player. 

Solid rotation player is right, but he's been an ironclad starter for 2 seasons now. He's definitely not that, yet.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

the final ball or touch just are not there! 

Tonight we were fortunate to see both. Good goal, sublime assist. Need both to happen more often.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
I'm the first one to critique and even bash Alex Muyl...

I've aaid he isn't good enough to start for any MLS team.
And if NYRB want to win a championship then NY need better starters than Muyl..

But good for him scoring

Great hard low shot.. I give him some credit.

I hope he keeps it up and keeps improving.
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users