15 replies to this topic

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Supports:Metro Liverpool Lokomotiv Sounders

Pardon me for adding yet another stick into the I hate RB bonfire..... but why not put the power back into our hands via the sport it'self.

Why not get together and form our own club, put it in the NPSL or PDL and brand it, Garden State Metrostars or something of the like.  It's road already travelled in numerous other leagues and with a touch of patience and the right energy involved, this could be a great club, run by people who love the sport and the identity of being NJ based football club.

I have a personal history of being involved with lower tiered US football and I have to say that something like this could be rather successful.  It surely wouldn't lead to a new MLS club but there are numerous other positives to be acheived.

Metrostars FC -- "The hardest FC in the world"
Метро Красное Общество Звезды

If only all footballers were like David Bentley

MetroBlknWht

MetroBlknWht

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Supports:metro
I've talked to my group of friends about this very idea several times. I think its a great idea but not something that would gather enough momentum at the time being. People are invested into the team and history we have. The #RedBullOut movement is all about doing as you said and "bringing it back". Worse case scenario, if Red Bull refuses to sell, continues to prove absolutely incompetent in providing a winning team or forming a connection with the fan base, and the MLS fails to step in and do what is best for the league, then I think you would have the right circumstances and support to do what you mentioned. Right now I think the best opportunity we have for attaining the goal of having a representative and authentic soccer team is to focus our energy on getting Red Bull to sell.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Detroit City FC cost ~20k to start up. USL Pro is much more expensive, NASL more so.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
So I've giving this idea a lot of thought and I want to begin moving on it, all be it slowly.

My desires to potentially begin this venture didn't start when Red Bull took over, it started in 96 when I stood for the first time with many of you. Unfortunately that journey was abruptly halted and now I believe is the time to continue the journey, with yourselves.

I don't seek finances only acceptance & input. The Metrostars of yesteryear can't be rekindled nor will MLS match nights return but we can act as proper custodians of the history & memories all the while creating new ones. From simple beginnings to unthinkable heights, I want this to be our team and what better way to respect the inception of such a club then by having it here.

The initial concept....

1 season in NJ Adult Soccer League, 4 months.
This would help get the team from paper to pitch. The league or another similar league would also allow for various home fields to be used/tested with the intention of using the one that ranks best as the main stadium for the next season. Entry into US Open Cup would also be tested to acclimate for following season. Formulate alliances with other supporter created clubs for player sharing & strategic values.

Ideally Season 2 would take place in the same season as 1. Season 2 would see entry into either the NPSL or PDL. The ownership & supporters would will all have input as to which league is selected. Begin player loan strategy, differing times of league play could ensure an enviroment of 365 days of competitive football.

Season 3 would be depending on financial strength, stay in current 4th Div or move upto USL pro.

Season 4 is cemented as USL Pro & a respectable run in the Open Cup.

Season 5 same as 4 or achieve NASL status.

USL Pro / 3rd division would be a heck of an accomplishment but regardless if the club plays below or above it, the club will always respectfully uphold the virtues of which it was founded on, a true club for the community to support.

Many questions and answers still need to evolve but the first item of business is getting as many voices and hands involved as possible. The second order of business is getting our identity back, a name and crest need be agreed on. As of now I've been leaning on Garden State Metrostars w/ altered GSP logo as the crest.

So my fellow supporters.... I ask for your thoughts.

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

-

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

-

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

-

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

-

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

I think it is a great idea, personally, even if the timeline is very aggressive.

I friend of mine runs the NJ Lions (mens, womens and over 30) sides. They are an amateur club in the local NJ state leagues. That is probably the best place to start initially, perhaps even present a business plan where eventually the team sets up youth ranks an a senior side. You'd need a "home" location to play and train. You can hire local coaches and college players, alumni to part time coach and charge parents small fees to join the team to fund operations.

After establishing yourself, find investors (preferably fans and local people and some businesses) and look into the feasibility of moving to USACA, PDL or NPSL. The Brooklyn Italians are currently NPSL (and have a great history) and to be fair if this project could get to that level it would be a great success.

My old club team in college uses this business model and have been hugely successful, http://www.bavariansoccerclub.com/

After that you need real money men to push this to a professional grade operation like USL Pro or NASL. The US Soccer guidelines require a lot of ownership capitalization and at least one owner with real money (but a LLC oe Corp. majority could pass the test).

RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

I think it is a great idea, personally, even if the timeline is very aggressive.

I friend of mine runs the NJ Lions (mens, womens and over 30) sides. They are an amateur club in the local NJ state leagues. That is probably the best place to start initially, perhaps even present a business plan where eventually the team sets up youth ranks an a senior side. You'd need a "home" location to play and train. You can hire local coaches and college players, alumni to part time coach and charge parents small fees to join the team to fund operations.

After establishing yourself, find investors (preferably fans and local people and some businesses) and look into the feasibility of moving to USACA, PDL or NPSL. The Brooklyn Italians are currently NPSL (and have a great history) and to be fair if this project could get to that level it would be a great success.

My old club team in college uses this business model and have been hugely successful, http://www.bavariansoccerclub.com/

After that you need real money men to push this to a professional grade operation like USL Pro or NASL. The US Soccer guidelines require a lot of ownership capitalization and at least one owner with real money (but a LLC oe Corp. majority could pass the test).

Nice to see the Bavarians link..... I lived in Milwaukee for a short time and I'm somewhat familiar with them....the Rampage were the top team in town when I was there, Uhelin Soccer Park was a cool place to catch a match. The Wave were also a top notch team then as well.

I agree on many of your points. An interesting idea with the youth team would be branding them Metro Black as an homage to yesteryear.  The jump into the PDL or NPSL would certainly be note worthy but I think a realistic goal would be one tier up..... perhaps nostalgia strikes the right deep pocketed investor and things move further up the pyramid, NASL and a rebuild of Hinchcliff Stadium would be my personal could 9 but realistically a team representing Metro playing in any league from 4th Div up would indeed be a great accomplishment. 

I think an investment goal of 20k for a guaranteed 2 season run from local leagues to NPSL is feasible. Baring any monumental shake up's in the NPSL conference set up, travel wouldn't be too hampering unless the club went to the Championships. First off though my goal is create a kickstarter type of set up and a minimum of 30 Metro supporters who want to play a small or large part in this endeavor.

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Forever Metro....

https://twitter.com/GSMetrostarsFC

https://www.facebook...842030485856528

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

Is it me or does the FB account seem hacked already?

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers
  • Supports:Metro

I dont know but I like it!

Also I think there was a movement way back in 2006 when the takeover happened where some fans actually had a Metro FC team in a league in NJ. I cant remember the details but I think it would be worthwhile to talk to them about some of the failures/success of that. 

I think soccer in this country is in a different place now than it was in 2006 so it might be more ripe for something like this. Specially since in 2006 people didnt really understand what RB was about and just swept the whole thing under the rug rather than leave. With the latests incidents people are more willing to let go of RBNY or atleast try and support something else that isnt Cosmos or NYCFC.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

What do you see that makes you think this ?

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

I dont know but I like it!

Also I think there was a movement way back in 2006 when the takeover happened where some fans actually had a Metro FC team in a league in NJ. I cant remember the details but I think it would be worthwhile to talk to them about some of the failures/success of that. 

I think soccer in this country is in a different place now than it was in 2006 so it might be more ripe for something like this. Specially since in 2006 people didnt really understand what RB was about and just swept the whole thing under the rug rather than leave. With the latests incidents people are more willing to let go of RBNY or atleast try and support something else that isnt Cosmos or NYCFC.

The time is certainly now.... and it will happen due to supporters like you.  A simple "like" or "follow" is all it takes or you can lend a hand or a voice. Metro was and will be again, our team..... no more, no less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users