Zero Cool

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Figured this would be a good place to start the new thread.
Rick Nash has reportedly been traded to the NY Rangers for Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinsky, Tim Erixon and a 1st Round pick.
Twitter exploded... at least if you follow the same nerds I do.
Posted Image

Expensive. It's as if the Rangers forgot that their primary asset last season was solid depth in every position.
So now they've given up that depth for a star piece. Don't care if it works out for them or not.
I like them as much without Nash as with him "Eh, alright."
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#2 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Tottenham hotspur

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

per the LA Kings twitter:

RUMOR: Rick Nash traded to the @thenyrangers. Wants to watch #LAKings raise the Stanley Cup banner opening night.

oh those guys.

a quick troll of the BJ boards seems to have them feeling they got bent over.

I feel the rangers saw the Weber offsheet and thought F Philadelphia, we must one-up them.

on the return:

Anisimov, 24, skated in 79 games with the Rangers last season, registering 16 goals and 36 points In three seasons with New York, he has recorded 46 goals and 62 assists for 108 points, along with 86 penalty minutes in 244 career regular season games. He was originally selected by the Rangers as a second round choice, 54th overall, in the 2006 NHL Draft.

Dubinsky, 26, played in 77 games with the Rangers last season, registering 10 goals and 34 points. In five seasons on Broadway, he has 81 goals and 132 assists for 213 points. The Anchorage, Alaska native was originally selected by the Rangers as a second round choice, 60th overall, in the 2004 NHL Draft.

Erixon, 21, skated in 52 games with the Connecticut Whale of the American Hockey League last season, registering three goals and 30 assists for 33 points, along with 42 penalty minutes. He also tallied two assists in 18 games with the Rangers.

#3 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Last year I felt NY's greatest strength was depth in all position... so much for that shit
Nash will offer some serious firepower going forward though. Should be interesting.
This upcoming draft is supposed to be deeper than the last one
But I can't imagine NY will land anywhere worth my interest.
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#4 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

don't mind him going to the eastern conference, and not say, san jose.

thats Glen Sather for you.

does NY have any 1st rounders in the upcoming draft? I thought I read they only had a 2nd.....but can't remember.

on to columbus..

Posted Image

#5 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

Nashville matches offer for Weber

#6 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

for $33.99 this could be yours

Posted Image

#7 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Another shortened season? No CBA by September 15th, means a lockout.

I hate Bettman

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Twitter: BigTony_42

#8 gala_usa

gala_usa

Noob fo' lyfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles, USA, Bud Light

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Tick, tick, tick, tick...

http://www.theglobea...article4531122/
Lakers (16x Champs) Dodgers (6x Champs) Galaxy (4x Champs) Broncos (2x Champs) LA Kings (2012 Stanley Cup Champs)
USMNT (One day, one day...)
Budlight (Weekend Champ)

It doesn't matter how simplistic you make your point, there will be someone who misunderstands you.

#9 projectx

projectx

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

I hate Bettman

Why?

This is a legitimate question. I'm not being sarcastic. His job is to represent the owners, like Fehr's job is to represent the players. The owners are his bosses, they have given him his orders. What exactly has he personally done, other than his job?

#10 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Why?

This is a legitimate question. I'm not being sarcastic. His job is to represent the owners, like Fehr's job is to represent the players. The owners are his bosses, they have given him his orders. What exactly has he personally done, other than his job?

In my opinion, he is a major part of the profitability problems the league has been facing for a while. When he was brought in to the league back in '93, he treated it just like the NBA. He got rid of the traditional divisions (egregious insult to hockey fans), and encouraged expansion to the point that the league still is over expanded, and the quality of play top-to-bottom is worse than what it used to be. The over-expansion of the league diluted the talent pool too much and we witness a lower overall level of play. He encouraged teams to move to bigger media markets, which did not have the fan base to support a team. The NBA mentality that he brought to the league led to a drastic rise in players salaries (blame goes to the owners, agents and players as well), which is one the main reasons for the financial problems they suffer through now.

I'm not even going to mention the rules changes to "make the game more exciting". He wasn't a hockey guy - he doesn't get the sport.

His job is not to work only for the owners, it's to work for the good of the league. 5 years ago, we lost hockey for a full season. We are facing the same situation again. His job is get the players and owners to work together to come to an agreement that is best for the league, and in my eyes, he has failed in the past, and continues to fail today.

#11 projectx

projectx

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

In my opinion, he is a major part of the profitability problems the league has been facing for a while. When he was brought in to the league back in '93, he treated it just like the NBA. He got rid of the traditional divisions (egregious insult to hockey fans), and encouraged expansion to the point that the league still is over expanded, and the quality of play top-to-bottom is worse than what it used to be. The over-expansion of the league diluted the talent pool too much and we witness a lower overall level of play. He encouraged teams to move to bigger media markets, which did not have the fan base to support a team. The NBA mentality that he brought to the league led to a drastic rise in players salaries (blame goes to the owners, agents and players as well), which is one the main reasons for the financial problems they suffer through now.

I'm not even going to mention the rules changes to "make the game more exciting". He wasn't a hockey guy - he doesn't get the sport.

His job is not to work only for the owners, it's to work for the good of the league. 5 years ago, we lost hockey for a full season. We are facing the same situation again. His job is get the players and owners to work together to come to an agreement that is best for the league, and in my eyes, he has failed in the past, and continues to fail today.

All things that needed approval from the owners. The owners approved the division name changes to align better with ALL the other major sports which had geographical divisions.

Expansion was approved, ironically, to save the Kings. McNall wasn't making enough money with the Gretzky era Kings, but was spending drastically on a loaded roster. With a need for money he sold part of his market to Disney, and the demon spawn were born.

Over expansion happened because the owners became seriously obsessed with the expansion fees being paid by the new franchises.

I disagree with the dilution of the talent pool. Sure, every team could be overloaded with stars with less teams, but the fact is that expansion coincided with the rise of the European nations in hockey, in fact, I would say that expansion led to the need for more players, and for the league to look in unconventional places. I would even venture to say that without expansion we may never have seen Anze Kopitar.

The rule changes have to be approved by not only the owners, but also the players association. As an example, the new 4 conference alignment the league was looking at was blocked by the NHLPA.

As for what his job is... he's not an arbitrator. He was hired by the owners, and can be fired by the owners. While it's true that the betterment of the league is his duty, making sure the players get the best deal possible is not.

The league is far more profitable than it has ever been. It's now a league that's watched and followed worldwide. It now has one of the most watched sporting events in the country. It has one of the best television contracts it's ever had. His deal with the Olympics has skyrocketed hockey back to the top spot at the Winter Games. Even the Frozen Four has been riding the coattails of the NHL lately and gaining popularity through them. When you know what his job duties are, he's done an exceptional job.

#12 gala_usa

gala_usa

Noob fo' lyfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles, USA, Bud Light

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

I hate Bettman

http://deadspin.com/...vancouver-riots
Lakers (16x Champs) Dodgers (6x Champs) Galaxy (4x Champs) Broncos (2x Champs) LA Kings (2012 Stanley Cup Champs)
USMNT (One day, one day...)
Budlight (Weekend Champ)

It doesn't matter how simplistic you make your point, there will be someone who misunderstands you.

#13 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Day 2 of the lockout, and no talks have taken place, and nothing is scheduled.

However the league has posted on their website:

Despite the expiration of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the National Hockey League has been, and remains, committed to negotiating around the clock to reach a new CBA that is fair to the Players and to the 30 NHL teams.

Not so much, I guess.

#14 projectx

projectx

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Not so much, I guess.

It's all PR, who gets fans to fall on their side. In theory it would be great for them to come together and negotiate, but with neither side offering anything new at this point, there's really no reason to meet. Same thing happened last time at the beginning of the lockout.

#15 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

It's all PR, who gets fans to fall on their side. In theory it would be great for them to come together and negotiate, but with neither side offering anything new at this point, there's really no reason to meet. Same thing happened last time at the beginning of the lockout.

I saw a quote from Ovechkin saying based on how far apart both sides are right now, he expects the lockout to last a year.

Fuck. I want hockey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users