156 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
Id go with Carnell because he shouldnt even be a candidate for the permanent position. Too many times teams get a bump from firing a coach, the interim coach gets credit for it, and then gets the permanent job, when there were better candidates out there. Better to have a guy that will follow direction from the front office (play the right guys, play the formation, play the right tactics) and knows he has no chance to get hired at the end of the season.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

Id go with Carnell because he shouldnt even be a candidate for the permanent position. Too many times teams get a bump from firing a coach, the interim coach gets credit for it, and then gets the permanent job, when there were better candidates out there. Better to have a guy that will follow direction from the front office (play the right guys, play the formation, play the right tactics) and knows he has no chance to get hired at the end of the season.

Could use Richie Williams right now.

LONG LIVE METRO

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,252 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Could use Richie Williams right now.

For interim role, sure. For full time gig, there is a reason he hasn't risen above #2 after 15 years.

Listening to him talk in cliches last week was worse than Armas.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,603 posts

Yep, agree.  I said that beforehand with Armas replacing Marsch too.  There's almost always a new coach bounce and that things wouldn't look bad for the end of that first year.  Then entire offseasons go by and players learn what they can get away with and what expectations are.  Then you get the real picture.

I think we are safe though.  Fully expect Thelwell to go outside.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

I said that beforehand with Armas replacing Marsch too.

The bump usually comes from a coach being fired, not from one leaving for a new job.  I think Armas did well because Jesse had the 2018 team all set up for him and they played well in the second half despite Armas.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,603 posts

The bump usually comes from a coach being fired, not from one leaving for a new job.  I think Armas did well because Jesse had the 2018 team all set up for him and they played well in the second half despite Armas.

Disagree.  I think it's human nature to try hard for any replacement regardless of the circumstance.  I've heard/read coaches speak on it even during their first full year about players being on their best behavior and not testing boundaries.  Can't remember for sure, but I believe that was in one of Parcells' books.  Fully agree with your second point though.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Disagree.  I think it's human nature to try hard for any replacement regardless of the circumstance.  I've heard/read coaches speak on it even during their first full year about players being on their best behavior and not testing boundaries.  Can't remember for sure, but I believe that was in one of Parcells' books.  Fully agree with your second point though.

Players being on best behavior, not testing boundaries isn't a bump.  You don't see a good coach with a championship level team move that often in midseason, I don't think there are lot of examples of this.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,603 posts

Players being on best behavior, not testing boundaries isn't a bump.  You don't see a good coach with a championship level team move that often in midseason, I don't think there are lot of examples of this.

Agree to disagree.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
* Promote Woly in an interim role to see if he can work the magic he did with NYRBII.

* Promote Sekagya to head coach of NYRBII.

* Hire Sacir Hot as the asst. coach of NYRBII.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Id go with Carnell .

Kaku as player/coach in the interim?

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Agree to disagree.

https://www.bangtheb...l-games/466416/

Not a perfect comparison, because its college and not all interim replacements in the link above replaced coaches that went on to better jobs, but many of them did. So basically from the 2003/04-2018/19 seasons 70 College Bowl games were played with interim coaches, many replacing coaches that went on to better jobs. The results were flat, 35W-35L, no bump.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

---------jorgensen

royer-------kaku----valot

-----CCJ--yearwood

pendant--parker--neallis---duncan

--------------meara

Tetteh off the bench

Barlow back at Menlo Park Mall Abercrombie and Fitch store

Win 2-1

I like this. Another alternative:

---------jorgensen

royer-------kaku----mines

----ccj--valot

pendant--parker--nealis---duncan

--------------meara

Yearwood, Tetteh I don't think will start yet, might be coming off the bench though.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

You dont make the right run you see what happens

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

You dont make the right run you see what happens

He only has 5 subs!

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If this means he kicks a ball at Ben Olsen next weekend I'm all for it.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users