Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,269 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I wanted Woly to get the job over Armas when Marsch left - he knew the system and the team didnt need a shakeup.

Now though, I think Thelwell needs to go outside.

yup, they gotta find someone not connected with RBNY. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I'd be fine with Woly as a very temporary coach until Thelwell finds a proper replacement. I don't want him as the full time head coach, while he's definitely a better coach than Armas, we just went down this road and I don't want to go down it again.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,546 posts
  • Supports:Metro

This year is a wash anyway, let Carnell manage the team the rest of the way and see if he can take us into the playoffs. 

Use the rest of the time to scour the globe for a full time replacement.

I'm struggling to think of any viable candidates from the world of MLS be it current assistants or former head coaches. Leads me to believe we're going abroad for this hire. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
Woly has coached 133 players since 2015 (taking the team to the playoffs every year, including the USL Cup in 2016 and 2 other Semi-Final appearances). A dozen of those guys (about 10%) signed pro USL deals then moved up to a MLS contract, not including HGP signed players that started with the USL team on academy deals before their HGP deals (Etienne Jr., Mines, Tolkin, Fernandez, etc...).

Find me a coach that gets that many guys to the MLS level with so much turnover and still makes the playoffs every year.

Woly has coached every player on this team except 8. Jensen, Parker, Pendant, Kaku, Rza, and Royer. In normal years he would have coached Seagrist and McIntosh by now. Excluding Tetteh and Yearwood for now given they haven't even played yet.

If anything he deserves a shot at the next level, he's given the majority of our roster theirs.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Woly has coached 133 players since 2015 (taking the team to the playoffs every year, including the USL Cup in 2016 and 2 other Semi-Final appearances). A dozen of those guys (about 10%) signed pro USL deals then moved up to a MLS contract, not including HGP signed players that started with the USL team on academy deals before their HGP deals (Etienne Jr., Mines, Tolkin, Fernandez, etc...).

Find me a coach that gets that many guys to the MLS level with so much turnover and still makes the playoffs every year.

Woly has coached every player on this team except 8. Jensen, Parker, Pendant, Kaku, Rza, and Royer. In normal years he would have coached Seagrist and McIntosh by now. Excluding Tetteh and Yearwood for now given they haven't even played yet.

Im guessing Woly going to be the interim. If it was going to be Carnell why would they wait to announce it? I imagine there are a few more ts to cross and is to dots with moving Woly up.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
Woly deserves the interim more than anyone.

Does he want it?

If he does, then Im perfectly fine with an audition. If he can get this team to perform at a high level then give him the job.

As for the Marsch stuff earlier discussesd...yes. Clearly he was an excellent coach. I was EXTREMELY critical of the Petke situation and extremely critical of Jesses playoff failings but to be fair winning in the playoffs takes a good deal of dumb luck. Even team that are stacked with talent get booted. Jesse was excellent. Id take him back in a heartbeat.

I do think Marsch only had one gear and that was ultimately our demise in the playoffs but I also feel that he probably had his hands tied to a degree in terms of how much he could spend to make the roster 110% rock solid.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
Carnell announced as interim
https://twitter.com/...306655347060736

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Carnell announced as interim
https://twitter.com/...306655347060736

If Woly isnt a candidate for the permanent job, then this makes the most sense. I doubt Carnell has a chance of being hired as the permanent coach.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,252 posts

Our second South African born coach ever! Go figure.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,717 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
Can someone remind me what Carnell's connection was to come here in the first place?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Can someone remind me what Carnell's connection was to come here in the first place?

Overlapped with Ralf at Stuttgart

https://www.onceamet...orlando-pirates

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,692 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
https://www.onceamet...d-bulls-manager

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

odsum25

odsum25

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
That is some pretty underwhelming speculation, although I'd take Nigel Pearson. Rob Edwards could be interesting too.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,870 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

Fuck it, you want to have a blast form the past, hire Albert Celades, ex Metro, if you won't give the job to Woly... 

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,717 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Overlapped with Ralf at Stuttgart

https://www.onceamet...orlando-pirates

So a Manchurian Candidate thing.    Makes sense for him to be named as the interim guy.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users