Captain Obvious

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:17 PM

Other points:
Strict EU requirements to get a visa to play football there will serve as an Immigration wall to most Americans and Africans.
Still the vast majority of players who don't get national team caps are basically stranded here.

But the Africans get an easier shot at playing in Europe and more specifically England because so many of them hold European passports because the fucking French tried to conquer the world at one point and made most of Africa French territories.

I honestly think a strike if it happens will be the end of MLS. The NHL was obliterated off the map with their lockout and most would argue it was a "major" sport before that. Something similar in MLS... oh my.

#32 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy dickheads! Arsenal

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:52 PM

I honestly think a strike if it happens will be the end of MLS. The NHL was obliterated off the map with their lockout and most would argue it was a "major" sport before that. Something similar in MLS... oh my.

As a hockey fan, I'd have to counter that the NHL was not obliterated off the map by the lockout.

It's kinda like Barstow. Sometimes literally on the map, sometimes not but some people occasionally go there because it's in between all the other stuff and some people actually like it and sustain it. Although I'd like to think otherwise, it was never a "major sport" and basketball only achieved that status in the early 80's.

MLS would be hurt more at this stage of it's life as it's a far less entrenched entity and the sporting landscape is a far more crowded than before. But then the Quakes came back so never say never.

#33 saltydog

saltydog

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:08 AM

Posted this in another thread, but thought it made sense posting here since the issue of salaries and possible labor unrest has been raised:

The list of MLS Player Salaries is eye opening. You can start to see where some of the problems in lockeroom develop. Clearly we need to dump some overpaid people. These guys either rode some serious pine or barely performed during the season:

Buddle - $150,000
Pavon - $141,000
Vagenas - $131,000
Kirk - $117,000

While folks like this helped carry the team:

Randolph - $17,700
Tudela - $17,700
Roberts - $30,000
Harmse - $40,000

The problem of no "team" in LA ain't too hard to figure out when you look at whose performing and whose getting paid. Not saying that Randolph, Tudela, Roberts, and Harmse are indispensible, but holly shit I'd be pissed off in their shoes.

NOTE: LA is not unusual. When you compare other teams on the MLS Salary List, you see this same issue on a number of teams ... Houston is a good exception (and gee ... that seems to have earned them some hardware). Clearly, player/salary management in the MLS is sorely lacking in most front offices.

#34 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Pizza and Boyzzzz! And Galaxy! And BEER!
  • Supports:no one...they support me!

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:12 AM

MLS marketing plan flawed?

These are the exciting and energetic grassroots efforts that flourish when fans are seriously engaged, truly bonded with the Danny Dichios and Ronnie O'Briens, entwined in the fabric of the work. This is what happens when fans are truly fans, and this is how the game will grow virally.

an interesting read...

hey, I have organic growth!
STEVE SAMPSON; STILL THE GREATEST COACH OF THE LA GALAXY. EVER. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT. NUF SAID. JAJAJA!

#35 L.A. Brigade

L.A. Brigade

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Boca Jrs, Man City, Celtic

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

MLS marketing plan flawed?
an interesting read...
hey, I have organic growth!

I agree with some points in this article. A downtown stadium for the G's would have been awesome.

The trip to Carson is quite annoying. I know quite a few people who don't go to G's games or stopped following the team as closely for this reason alone. I guess we're just hardcore.

#36 Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:42 AM

A downtown stadium for the Galaxy would make no difference. We are an odd market out here and I don't think the urban style deal really exists in SoCal like it does in say Portland or Chicago or Toronto.

And let's be honest, the trip to Carson or a trip anywhere in LA is annoying. When you have an old breaking freeway system and 15 million people, it doesn't matter where you go, it's annoying.

#37 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:51 AM

A downtown stadium for the Galaxy would make no difference. We are an odd market out here and I don't think the urban style deal really exists in SoCal like it does in say Portland or Chicago or Toronto.

And let's be honest, the trip to Carson or a trip anywhere in LA is annoying. When you have an old breaking freeway system and 15 million people, it doesn't matter where you go, it's annoying.

Ding ding ding.

And for every Valley/Pasadena person we lost moving to Carson - we gained one from the South Bay and the OC.

The main thing here in SoCal - no weeknight matches!

The article's analysis is pretty facile. I agree that a downtown stadium in Portland would be a winner - but that's because Portland has a very developed urban culture. We just have hipsters moving from neighborhood to neighborhood every few years. Following his logic, the G's should have played in Silverlake their first few years, and then moved to Echo Park. Kinda hard to pull that off.

That said, his initial analysis, that building your support on suburban soccer people is flawed, is right, of course. His prescription still needs work.

#38 Jeremy aka super jew price

Jeremy aka super jew price

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Supports:The G's and West Ham

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:54 AM

Ding ding ding.

And for every Valley/Pasadena person we lost moving to Carson - we gained one from the South Bay and the OC.

The main thing here in SoCal - no weeknight matches!

The article's analysis is pretty facile. I agree that a downtown stadium in Portland would be a winner - but that's because Portland has a very developed urban culture. We just have hipsters moving from neighborhood to neighborhood every few years. Following his logic, the G's should have played in Silverlake their first few years, and then moved to Echo Park. Kinda hard to pull that off.

That said, his initial analysis, that building your support on suburban soccer people is flawed, is right, of course. His prescription still needs work.

Hey I am moving to Echo Park :D
FIRE BRUCE!!

#39 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

Hey I am moving to Echo Park :D

Pshh..

Dude, that's so 2003. :rolleyes:
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#40 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:23 PM

Osorio Leaves Chicago; Expected to Join Red Bulls

#41 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:49 PM

Osorio Leaves Chicago; Expected to Join Red Bulls

This is pretty amazing. This is the second time they've done this, the first was with Bradley. With Osario combining with Angel, they've got the Columbian demo sewed up. If only they played in Miami...

#42 projectx

projectx

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:16 PM

This is pretty amazing. This is the second time they've done this, the first was with Bradley. With Osario combining with Angel, they've got the Columbian demo sewed up. If only they played in Miami...

On the bright side for Chicago, Conde can't follow Osorio to RBNY.

#43 ESCO

ESCO

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Supports:LAG | LFC

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:58 PM

FCD opt not to retain Denilson for '08

#44 We Own You

We Own You

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Supports:LA GALAXY

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:32 AM

FCD opt not to retain Denilson for '08

That is nuts. 2nd bad decision made with that guy. Bringing him in midseason, having him start games and expecting him to make a difference was a stupid idea, should have just brought him in for 08.

#45 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Pizza and Boyzzzz! And Galaxy! And BEER!
  • Supports:no one...they support me!

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:19 AM

Red Bulls steal Chitown Coach...we are all FUCKED!!! SERIOUSLY!

Osorio's agent Ron Waxman said he had "absolutely no comment," even refusing to confirm that his client was in negotiations with the Red Bulls.

The Red Bulls have been looking for a coach since former U.S. national team manager Bruce Arena resigned Nov. 5 after 1 1/2 seasons. They reportedly were denied permission to speak to Chivas USA manager Preki.

Osorio would be the 11th manager in New York's 12-year history -- the most of any MLS club, and fifth since the start of 2005 -- including interim manager Richie Williams.

Golden Balls meet golden boy...

De la Hoya to cheat on his wife again and then pick up the dynamo????

Enter Golden Boy Promotions, owned by boxer Oscar De La Hoya. The company is interested in acquiring the two-time MLS champions. The team is valued at at least $30 million.

The company is also interested in being involved in the growing Hispanic market in Houston.

De La Hoya formed Golden Boy Promotions to give back to boxing but also capitalize on the growth of Hispanics in pro sports in the United States.

De La Hoya understands the appeal boxing and soccer have to Hispanic sports fans.

STEVE SAMPSON; STILL THE GREATEST COACH OF THE LA GALAXY. EVER. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT. NUF SAID. JAJAJA!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users