803 replies to this topic

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

There's no place for Rafa, and Dax the Destroyer won't have to work nearly as hard with with Henry, Luke/KFC and Kaka in front of him.

Cooper

Henry----Kaka---Richards

Rafa-----Dax

Lade----Pearce----Conde---Solli/Barklage

Meara

Its not hard to fit them on the field together (3 DP's) and still have them playign in their strongest positions. It is true this set up would leave our left flank a bit exposed but as long as Dax and the defnders can rotate coverage over when needed it can be minimized.

Henry is a strong left channel, cut inside to goal player and could move up to play a secong forward and have Lade push up and Dax pull back and Peace wider.

Kaka could roam the center and use his size, pace and techincal skill to carve open the defense.

Richards can stil play wide and use his pace to unsettle the backline.

Rafa could actually play his best position, deep lying playmaker and not have as much defensive responsibility as Dax and hit those great deep balls and through balls. Lindpepre could always come in here if we are up against a team exposing Rafa's lack of mobility.

The back line is unchanged and Cooper can play the target #9 centerforward role.

All that said, i don't believe Kaka rumor at all. So kinda moot point.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

hackmeister

hackmeister

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Interests:Futbol, linux, hunting, drinking beer
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Cooper

Henry----Kaka---Richards

Rafa-----Dax

Lade----Pearce----Conde---Solli/Barklage

Meara

I'd prefer this:

Henry--------Cooper

Lindpere/Lade----Kaka----Richards/Solli

Dax

Lade/Miller----Pearce----Conde---Solli/Barklage

Meara

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
-----Cooper----Henry-------
Lindpere---Kaka----Solli------
--------McCarty/Tainio---------
Pearce-Conde-Marquez-Barklage

Richards as a 60 minute sub each game to drive tired LB's insane.
Rodgers as a 60 minute sub to do the same.
Rafa's back line would be fine with Dax playing very, very deep to cover, just would leave the responsibility of the offense solely on our front five
"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

HarryRoberts

HarryRoberts

Reserve Team

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Supports:Notts County and New York Red Bulls

I'd prefer this:

Henry--------Cooper

Dax

Meara

Mate why would you not include perhaps one of the best purveyors of balls from a defensive position in the last 15 years in your line up??? Rafa has never been more than an adequate defender anyway, but his distribution is 2nd to none... you boys really don't understand football.

hackmeister

hackmeister

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Mate why would you not include perhaps one of the best purveyors of balls from a defensive position in the last 15 years in your line up??? Rafa has never been more than an adequate defender anyway, but his distribution is 2nd to none... you boys really don't understand football.

Rafa is a liability. Defensive players who can't defend are generally useless unless their name is Roberto Carlos. The occasional long ball out of the back does not make up for this basic deficiency.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

For every goal he creates through his excellent long range passing, he gives up two by not tracking a runner defensively or giving the ball away in a dangerous position by being too casual in possession. Just look at the Philly game a few weeks ago. He set up 2 of the 3 goals with his passing, but let Adu run rampant all game and got stripped in our defensive half multiple times. If Adu didn't get tossed and Philly's strikers didn't stink out loud then we would have lost that game. You'd be comfortable playing that style every game of the season?

Osack's lineup isn't bad because McCarty is there to babysit him defensively, but leaving Rafa as the lone defensive midfielder puts way too much pressure on our back line.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

I'd prefer this:

I really dont give a crap what you prefer. I was only pointing out that you could easily devise a way to get all 3 Dp's on the field in a manner that respects their strengths and doesn't unbalance the side to a ridiculosu degree.

I get it, we all hate Rafa Marquez and he is unfit to play the sport. :rolleyes:

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

For every goal he creates through his excellent long range passing, he gives up two by not tracking a runner defensively or giving the ball away in a dangerous position by being too casual in possession.

Just look at the Philly game a few weeks ago. He set up 2 of the 3 goals with his passing, but let Adu run rampant all game and got stripped in our defensive half multiple times. If Adu didn't get tossed and Philly's strikers didn't stink out loud then we would have lost that game. You'd be comfortable playing that style every game of the season?

Well the big issue with Rafa is his lack of mobility. At this stage of his career he simply cannot cover the ground he used to. So if you leave him as the "d-mid" he simply is going to get exposed over time. He does have good insticts and positioning, but he cant react with the pace he once did.

His positives are his touch, forward vision and deep passing. That is a great role for a holding mid player who can rely on a more workman defensive mid behind him and talented attackers in front and on the flanks.

Rafa can be useful in a formation like I mentioned in a prior post. Your post below seems to acknowlegde that.

Osack's lineup isn't bad because McCarty is there to babysit him defensively, but leaving Rafa as the lone defensive midfielder puts way too much pressure on our back line.

hackmeister

hackmeister

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

I really dont give a crap what you prefer....

... and Happy Wednesday to you fucktard! At the end of the day whatever any of us write on these boards mean absolutely squat. It's fun to discuss the possibilities but ultimately the coach decides who plays/sits.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I'd prefer this:

Henry--------Cooper

Dax

Meara

Keeping Rafa off the field is pretty unlikely as long as he is here (and not on a red card or faking an injury), but leaving the vice-captain out of the lineup is going too far.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Well the big issue with Rafa is his lack of mobility. At this stage of his career he simply cannot cover the ground he used to. So if you leave him as the "d-mid" he simply is going to get exposed over time. He does have good insticts and positioning, but he cant react with the pace he once did.

This is something I wish more RB fans would acknowledge. So many people chalk his performances up to 100% mental issues, when in reality its more that his legs simply can't carry him around anymore... I remember in one of our games against Colorado last year he gave the ball away in the midfield and attempted to catch up to their counter attack, and you could tell that he was giving it his all but god damn it looked like he was trudging through 3 feet of mud.

boburuncle

boburuncle

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, USMNT, USWNT, Bayern Munchen

This is something I wish more RB fans would acknowledge. So many people chalk his performances up to 100% mental issues, when in reality its more that his legs simply can't carry him around anymore... I remember in one of our games against Colorado last year he gave the ball away in the midfield and attempted to catch up to their counter attack, and you could tell that he was giving it his all but god damn it looked like he was trudging through 3 feet of mud.

Remember that play and also remember people saying that he lollygagged back to cover. I agree, just doesn't have that in him anymore.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT
Coming to MLS would do nothing to help his chances of getting selected for the Selecao (sp?). With the World Cup in his native country in 2014, I wonder if he would risk missing out by coming here (question: is he even an automatic selection anymore?)

JerseyFan

JerseyFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA

Keeping Holgersson off the field is pretty unlikely as long as he is here (and not on a red card or faking an injury), but leaving the vice-captain out of the lineup is going too far.

FYP

AS LONG AS I'M BREATHING

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls

You , obviously have not seen Crap play for us this year, have you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users