2014 replies to this topic

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

I would hope both sides approach the game with full respect and seriousness. I know that won't be an issue from the Cosmos side, as they expressed last season that they want to focus in 2014 on the USOC, Red Bull and Metro before them have been mostly notorious for treating the USOC like a rec league tourney. We will see if the prospects of losing to the Cosmos will motivate them to take it seriously.

Nonetheless, a match up between the MLS's area franchise and the most decorated soccer club in american history here in NY this summer should be a marquee event. I'd prefer Hofstra, due to the home pitch advantage, but a return to RBA after a couple years absent would be nice too.

RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

Jeremy Thunder

Jeremy Thunder

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I would hope both sides approach the game with full respect and seriousness. I know that won't be an issue from the Cosmos side, as they expressed last season that they want to focus in 2014 on the USOC, Red Bull and Metro before them have been mostly notorious for treating the USOC like a rec league tourney. We will see if the prospects of losing to the Cosmos will motivate them to take it seriously.

Nonetheless, a match up between the MLS's area franchise and the most decorated soccer club in american history here in NY this summer should be a marquee event. I'd prefer Hofstra, due to the home pitch advantage, but a return to RBA after a couple years absent would be nice too.

What's the latest the new stadium?

__    __   ______Spirit_of_96 __ __     _____    
 /_/\  /\_\ /\_____\/\_______)\/_/\__/\  ) ___ (   
 ) ) \/ ( (( (_____/\(___  __\/) ) ) ) )/ /\_/\ \  
/_/ \  / \_\\ \__\    / / /   /_/ /_/_// /_/ (_\ \ 
\ \ \\// / // /__/_  ( ( (    \ \ \ \ \\ \ )_/ / / 
 )_) )( (_(( (_____\  \ \ \    )_) ) \ \\ \/_\/ /  
 \_\/  \/_/ \/_____/  /_/_/    \_\/ \_\/ )_____(   
                   Red Bull Out                                 

beefyT

beefyT

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Supports:Taco Tuesday

Nonetheless, a match up between the MLS's area franchise and the most decorated soccer club in american history here in NY this summer should be a marquee event. 

Agreed - the crowds always turn out when the Galaxy's in town. 

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

Galaxy are not even most decorated club in MLS, let alone the history of professional soccer in the US. Nice try though.

Gene Wolters

Gene Wolters

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Bethlehem Steel?

cryforburke

cryforburke

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I'm going to legally change my name to "Manchester United" so I can start calling myself one of the most decorated clubs in all the world, considering that's all it takes.

DP3

DP3

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Fulham

Galaxy are not even most decorated club in MLS, let alone the history of professional soccer in the US. Nice try though.

Serious question, why are you still posting here? Why not post on a Cosmos forum instead?

fifty7

fifty7

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Supports:US soccer, Cosmos, Everton

Actually, the Cosmos and DC United both have 12 majors, while Galaxy have 11.

I'm going to legally change my name to "Manchester United" so I can start calling myself one of the most decorated clubs in all the world, considering that's all it takes.

Aside from the fact that the precedent has been set by multiple clubs, and not just in soccer, there is the fact that the Cosmos have been the same legal entity this entire time. That's something not even Vancouver, the only club with history extending before the inception of MLS to have not had an extended hiatus, can say. All these things are just technicalities though. Even if you disregard ownership of the rights and history and trophies and trademarks, spirit of the club and its supporters is what matters, so it's kind of silly to poke fun.

Anyway, while sack's opinion about Hofstra and homefield advantage is totally valid, I'd still prefer RBA. A much more rare opportunity. I just hope this match actually happens. Should be a lot of fun for everyone involved.

Red or Green, at least we're TRUE not Blue

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

... Even if you disregard ownership of the rights and history and trophies and trademarks, spirit of the club and its supporters is what matters, so it's kind of silly to poke fun.

Anyway, while sack's opinion about Hofstra and homefield advantage is totally valid, I'd still prefer RBA. A much more rare opportunity. I just hope this match actually happens. Should be a lot of fun for everyone involved.

The real Cosmosdidn't play a single game during the lifetime of most of its current  "fans."  There is no "spirit."  I am thrilled when any soccer team gets support, but they are NOT the Cosmos in anything but name. 

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I thought DC had 13.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

The real Cosmos haven't played game during the lifetime of most of its "fans."  There is no "spirit."  I am thrilled when any soccer team gets support, but they are NOT the Cosmos in anything but name. 

Keep telling yourself that. NY's most famous soccer team is back, and picked up where they left off. Winning championships.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

Serious question, why are you still posting here? Why not post on a Cosmos forum instead?

Serious answer. Its a free a country, i am still friends with people that post here, and this isnt Big Sucker.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

Bethlehem Steel?

Not sure, a lot of their time playing was in amateur leagues and some in pro leagues. I know they played in ASL and won a couple titles and won 4 of 5 USOC's when they were amateur. If they have more than fair enough.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

Cosmos have 17.

6 Soccer Bowls (equivilant to MLS Cup), 7 NASL Season Titles, 1 NASL Fall Title (same as SS)  and 3 Trans Atlantic Cups

DP3

DP3

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Fulham

Cosmos have 17.

6 Soccer Bowls (equivilant to MLS Cup), 7 NASL Season Titles, 1 NASL Fall Title (same as SS)  and 3 Trans Atlantic Cups

We are counting winning in the 2nd Division as a major title? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users