What would it take for Red Bull to sell?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,010 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
We just want RB to support NY at a fraction of the rate they do for RBS and RBL. 25%? 10%?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

As I have said repeatedly, the new owners could certainly be better but no one has actually made a case for why a Red Bull sale to an unknown buyer is more likely than not going to lead to an on field improvement. I personally do not advocate for things that in my estimation more likely to turn out poorly than well but that is just me. 

If your main issue with Red Bull ownership is soft drink advertising, then yes a sale is almost certainly going to fix that issue.  However, you could still end up with an even more morally bankrupt owner like our blue neighbors.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,589 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Or we can end up with an owner like KC, who changed a shit organization into one of the best ones in MLS.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

nymetrofan90

nymetrofan90

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

So we will put our trust in Don Garber to find a better, more competent owner than an owner who runs two Champions League level soccer teams in Europe? Who is going to have a better resume to run a successful soccer team than an owner that already runs two incredibly successful soccer teams?

I am not saying a new owner would be worse. I am saying they are more likely to be worse than better. Columbus, DC United, Orlando, Austin, Real Salt Lake, Montreal, Houston, and Cincinatti have all either entered the league or changed ownership since 2010 and have worse owners than Red Bull.  

Now that I think of it, I cannot think of a single time in MLS history when a the sale of a team has translated into increased success for the team besides when Red Bull bought the Metrostars. That is to say, the best precedent for having a new owner improve your team in the history of MLS, is for Red Bull to buy your team. The best owners (LAFC, LAG, Seattle, Portland, Toronto, Atlanta) in the league have all either been the original owners of the team.  

There is simply little reason to believe a new owner would be an improvement, other than blind faith.

Okay... Columbus's owner has only been around for like, a year, so it is way to early to say what will happen there. The new owners do seem a lot more committed though to turn that franchise around. If you want to reference Precourt, I doubt MLS today would a) only have that 1 offer for Red Bulls like they did with Columbus and b) would allow any potential owner to move 1 of the New York teams.

Austin FC haven't even started yet and Precourt does seem to be doing the right things for that team. Real Salt Lake have a good owner. The side have won 1 MLS Cup, been to another, were runners-up in the Champions League, and have remained somewhat competitive while also investing in their USL team and NWSL side. Cincinnati is also too early since they only had the 1 season and they recognize that they didn't make the right moves and if I was a Cincy fan I would have confidence in ownership trying to right that ship.

And yeah... Red Bull have 2 successful European based sides, that is great and ideally I love that but do you really see them doing that here in New York? First, this is New York, we shouldn't be #3 behind Leipzig and Salzburg and second, they do a lot more for both the Euro sides than they do us. The game-day experience for Leipzig is a lot more energetic than in New York, the signings are more strategic but don't come across as cheap but as if there is a plan, same with Salzburg. In New York, we are stuck with a coach barely a resume, a sporting director who has yet to prove himself, and an organization that treats us very cheaply.

Like another user said, if they would put like... 30% of the effort they put into the European teams into us, that would be great.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

As I have said repeatedly, the new owners could certainly be better but no one has actually made a case for why a Red Bull sale to an unknown buyer is more likely than not going to lead to an on field improvement. I personally do not advocate for things that in my estimation more likely to turn out poorly than well but that is just me. 

If your main issue with Red Bull ownership is soft drink advertising, then yes a sale is almost certainly going to fix that issue.  However, you could still end up with an even more morally bankrupt owner like our blue neighbors.  

You haven't made a case either as to why you think new ownership would be worse, other than your vague feelings and 'estimations'.

Look at it this way, Red Bull isn't working here. Why not roll the dice? Even if it doesn't work out, I'd rather roll the dice then stick with what isn't working.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Look at it this way, Red Bull isn't working here. Why not roll the dice? Even if it doesn't work out, I'd rather roll the dice then stick with what isn't working.

Because it is a roll of the dice with bad odds. Under the current ownership, we have been one of the best teams in the league for the better part of a decade. The last decade has been far better than the teams first decade, when winning MLS Cup and Supporter's Shields was far easier as there was far less competition. Red Bull has worked much much better than what preceded it. 

The prospect of a bad odds dice roll is not enticing to me when the current owners have proven they are capable of building a team that has won Supporter's Shields in three of the last seven years and was consistently among the best teams in the league.  

If the team fails to make the playoffs for a few seasons, then I would certainly take a dice roll.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
KC is a model for what could be with an organizational rebirth.

A new owner is of course a risk, but there are new standards for ownership every year now, and you'd expect any new group of investors to come in to this area and this club with some serious ambition. Looking at the big picture, this is an AWESOME club to buy and invest in! Riverbend area looking more lively every year, and MLS is a good investment, inevitably expanding to 40 teams in two leagues with pro/rel. A dope KC-like Metro in Harrison would help get it there.

Imagine an ownership group as hungry for cups and lasting excellence as we are. And a team with an actually iconic, not super lame name and crest. Es posibile!

RED. BULL. OUT.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users