793 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Klimala had a solid game, unlucky he didn't get a goal.

A glimmer of hope, unfulfilled.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

THE BEST STRIKER IN THE HISTORY OF RUNNING CHANNELS, EVERYONE. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Here is where I lost you. He is so awkward.

I am just quoting what I see a lot of people post about him. I do see a lot of aborted runs into the box from him.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Don't understand Shep's undying hope of Klimala. "The goals will come." When? It's been 13 games.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
Send him down to RB2. Perhaps he scores a few and gets some confidence. The first team wont miss him at all. Not even kidding.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Social media doesn't tend to do nuance well, two things can both be true at the same time:

1) Struber has gotten decent results given the level of talent and experience on the roster

2) Struber's offensive game plan has been inefficient and inflexible, and that would be the case regardless of the talent and experience on the roster

I don't personally have Struber on the hot seat, but I do think there is legitimacy to #2. I'm not super confident we'd turn into an attacking powerhouse just by swapping Klimala for another #9, the issues are deeper than raw talent at that, or any other position imo.

i think his offense game plan works. Klimala has been getting a lot of opportunities.  As a comparison, lets compare Klimala to Ebobisse (who was traded from Portland to SJ for 1.167m) since they have similar shot stats.  the difference is the outcomes.  

Klimala in 90 minutes

- avgs 2.8 shots per game

- avgs 0.7 shots out of box

- avgs 0.2 shots six yards out of box

- avgs 1.9 shots penalty area

- 4 goals from in side the box

- 58% of shots on target

Ebobisse in 90 minutes

- avgs 3.1 shots per game

- avgs 1.1 shots out of box

- avgs 0.2 six yard box

- avgs 1.9 shots in penalty area

- 12 goals inside the box, 2 goals outside the box, 1 goal direct free kick

- 60% of shots on target

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I appreciate the comparison elf, and as much as I like tinkering around with stats too, in this particular scenario I don't think they tell much of a story. There are so many factors that go into what should be considered a primo scoring opportunity that aren't taken into account, I lean towards the eye test here. I have not seen Klimala get too many obvious chances this year.

I did try to see if anyone published "big chance stats", I know Opta used to at least record them from my brief time working there. I only found this from FotMob, who don't say where they got the data from or how big chances are measured, but they have us at 21st out of 28 for big chances created.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

I appreciate the comparison elf, and as much as I like tinkering around with stats too, in this particular scenario I don't think they tell much of a story. There are so many factors that go into what should be considered a primo scoring opportunity that aren't taken into account, I lean towards the eye test here. I have not seen Klimala get too many obvious chances this year.

The reality is when we picked up Klimala he wasnt a proven goal scorer (except for 13 in 27 games in the Polish 2nd division). He is another expensive, failed project like Jorgy. Red Bull thinks they can repeat the BWP experience (lets face it, just by DNA alone you take a chance on BWP). One of these days Red Bull needs to go into the market and purchase a real proven goal scorer. This $hit is getting old.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I did try to see if anyone published "big chance stats", I know Opta used to at least record them from my brief time working there. I only found this from FotMob, who don't say where they got the data from or how big chances are measured, but they have us at 21st out of 28 for big chances created.

any shot within the box is a big scoring chance. so if struber system is giving our forward many of those chances, then it is a failure of the front office for not getting him a forward that can convert.

the fact that Klimala only has 4 goals compared to Ebobisse who has 14 goals is alarming. as the stats show, the shots within the box was there. i am not expecting klimala to score 14 goals or be like ebobisse but  if klimala had 9 to 10 goals everyone on this board would be happy. the reality is that it is not and i dont think that will change.  

if we fail to make the playoffs, it is because we dont have a forward that can convert. 

also the fotmob stats have a flaw on how they determine big chances.  look at Minnesota, they scored 40 goals but only created 31 big chances. wouldnt goals be considered big chances?

i define big scoring chances whenever a shot occurs inside the box. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

i define big scoring chances whenever a shot occurs inside the box. 

The goal box? Not every shot inside the penalty area is a big chance. In addition to distance from goal, chances also depend on where and how the shooter receives the ball and how well they are being marked. This statement is NOT in defense of Klimala.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Klimala wasnt a proven goal scorer (except for 13 in 27 games in the Polish 2nd division).

At one time, I thought it was a good idea to pick up goalscorers from lower divisions, figuring that they had a nose for goal. Except for BWP, it has not panned out.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Klimala is a decent player who is in the wrong system, more a 2nd striker who is not great at finishing/pretty decent crosses, in a bad slump and is not getting great chances.

Hoping the Austin/LAFC/Orlando 1st half player returns as I recall this was his best work all year.

That being said the need for another striker now and in the future is quite obvious.  Please get well soon Serge.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
I'll give him this- he seems lately to be making an effort to stay on his feet.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

At one time, I thought it was a good idea to pick up goalscorers from lower divisions, figuring that they had a nose for goal. Except for BWP, it has not panned out.

That's the way to do it, but the key word is goalscorer. Klimala didn't have numbers that showed a nose for goal like our boy Dylan Vente does.

Buying players that teams are reluctant to lose vs surplus underachievers. How we get the Verons and Klimalas of the football universe.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I'll give him this- he seems lately to be making an effort to stay on his feet.

Yeah, he wasn't terrible lately. Came close to scoring earlier but just couldn't put one in. Then last two games we forgot how to play attaching midfield, and he didn't have a chance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users