regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

I-95 rivalries are so MLS 1.0

This was probably tongue in cheek, but it's true.  I remember people used to get worked up about the DCU rivalry games, and even to a lesser extent the New England games.  Now it's all about the blue team, and also Toronto IMO. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

This was probably tongue in cheek, but it's true.  I remember people used to get worked up about the DCU rivalry games, and even to a lesser extent the New England games.  Now it's all about the blue team, and also Toronto IMO. 

Bullshit, the scum will ALWAYS be at the top of the hate list. They are a real rival we have a real history with, not some fake plastic bullshit "rival". Fuck the DC scum. Then. Now. Forever!!!
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Bullshit, the scum will ALWAYS be at the top of the hate list. They are a real rival we have a real history with, not some fake plastic bullshit "rival". Fuck the DC scum. Then. Now. Forever!!!

The attendance shows who the real rival is now and it's definitely not DC.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I still hate DC number one.  I am not sure the attendance shows NYCFC has surpassed them so much as it shows it easy (shocking) for NYCFC fans to get to RBA.  I hate NYCFC second.  After that there are a bunch of teams in the mix for me (Toronto, NE, Columbus, and Chicago).  However, the fact that DC United has been garbage for a number of years now and NYCFC are currently very good, hating NYCFC feels more urgent and easier to summon.   The current garbage DC team is not a real rival on the pitch to our very good team.  NYCFC is currently a rival in that they are a real threat to beat us.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I agree, but it is understandable for younger fans, those that havent been around since 96, to hate more. Or even old fans that have come to soccer or MLS late. Personally, I have enough hate to spread out to both DC and City.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

if the team had any foresight, they do another 3rd jersey next yr. red and black vertical stripes, have the team wear it when they play DC, and maybe New England and Chicago. no one else. 

"How come the team has a 3rd jersey and only play against DC, Uncle Rob?"

"Cuz the team finally respects the history...maybe you should too. Your choice."

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

I agree, but it is understandable for younger fans, those that havent been around since 96, to hate more. Or even old fans that have come to soccer or MLS late. Personally, I have enough hate to spread out to both DC and City.

I hate them both too but a lot of my DC hate was let go for the moment when we finally knocked them out of the playoffs a few times. If we lost those 2 series my hatred would still be full force.

Personally I now have friends who I could never get to come to metrostars/ red bulls games with me who are now nycfc fans and it pisses me off. I don't actually know any DC fans so yeah nycfc is definitely my number one.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I now have friends who I could never get to come to metrostars/ red bulls games with me who are now nycfc fans and it pisses me off.

No surprise. The next question is, whether they are NYC natives, or newcomers who act like they came here with the Dutch.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle
To each their own, I dont begrudge anyone for putting NYCFC #1. To me, DC is far and away my most hated and I dont think that will ever change. My dozen or so closest friends, who are all natives of the area, are all Metro/RBNY supporters, with varying levels of dedication, on top of their English and Italian league clubs. Even those who are more passionate about their English/Italian clubs dont look down on MLS and Metro, nor are any strangers to coming to games. I know only a couple of people at work who are casual NYCFC fans (I work in Manhattan) and they are both transplants. Hence why my personal view of the NYCFC fanbase is that theyre transplants, not so much the Euro snobbery types. I have plenty of hatred for that club, but itll never reach DC levels.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

No surprise. The next question is, whether they are NYC natives, or newcomers who act like they came here with the Dutch.

NYC natives

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

To me, DC is far and away my most hated and I dont think that will ever change. I have plenty of hatred for that club, but itll never reach DC levels.

That can easily change if we meet in the playoffs a bunch of times and don't have the results go our way.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

I'm not worried about NYCFC at all. To me, it's a fanbase full of people who went to reject high schools in LI, NYC and Westchester. I mean, listen to the songs that they sing, there are ZERO geniuses over there, just idiots who front that they're hard core NYC when they were raised in the 914/516/631 area codes. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

i think what vaults NYCFC to #1 is not so much their team, but their fans. They have an easy to hate fanbase. 

Anecdote: during one of last year's RBNY @ NYCFC games, I was catching a lot of flak during the game for wearing red to their baseball field. Fine, that's fair.  Then as I was on the subway platform waiting for the subway, an adult NYC fan was teaching his two young kids (probably 6-8 yrs old) how to heckle and harass NYRB fans on the platform.  The kids could barely speak but were already shouting "go back to Jersey" to anyone in red. 

There is something innate about the rivalry between us and the blue team given our geographies. It's not plastic at all.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

And given those geographical differences, our team has had its 1st and reserve team play on the actual island of Manhattan. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
One word:"Flipper".

Two more: "Peter Bockman" (who to me is STILL the greatest hero in the history of our club).

FUCK DC UNITED.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users