1178 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Atlanta got knocked out last night. Only KC left. I'm not on board with the root for the other MLS teams nonsense. I'd rather see Independiente win the whole thing at this point.

As long as its not a rival (despite USOC, I don't consider SKC much of a rival),  I would like to see Liga MX humbled 

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Finishing quality was definitely the biggest difference between the two teams, in both legs. Lade had a very similar chance in the 1st game, and attempted the same type of shot, with a very different outcome...

Haha very similar, actually. That's the difference between us and them. They have a quality RB who buries that shot. And we have Connor Lade who completely bottles it.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Valot and Fernandez deserve a ton of credit here. Yes, they were dog tired and started to make some mistakes, but they were working hard, getting back on defense and really Santos pressured but could not create good scoring chances until they were subbed. We were what - 20 mins away - from PKs, then we sub in two forwards, with tired BWP dropping to midfield and not being able to cover as much ground as Valot and Fernandez did. The midfield, which was barely holding, just lost two guys and completely collapsed. Not the finest coaching job by Armas, but much respect to Valot and Fernandez.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Haha very similar, actually. That's the difference between us and them. They have a quality RB who buries that shot. And we have Connor Lade who completely bottles it.

Lade's angle was much better and it was basically empty net shot, while their guy had a sharp angle and had to beat Robles, but we are talking about Conner Lade here. We did have Duncan available. I get that Lade works hard and coaches like that, but Duncan I feel is a few steps above in terms of talent.

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

IMO, the SS does mean something: league supremacy.
It also carries admission to the CCL, as does either Cup.
Those with a European background or interest understand the importance of being best.
A cup is more luck.
As for the club, the FO touts the Shield because there is nothing else. It would prefer MLS Cup.

The CCL admission and now, home field advantage, are the only things to be excited by when winning a SS.

Those with a European background understand that there is something called a balanced schedule. We do not have that here. That's a HUGE difference. 

We keep celebrating the SS like it's this massive achievement (it's an achievement, of course) and we keep letting the club off the hook for not adding a 3rd DP or for their moneyball approach

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

The CCL admission and now, home field advantage, are the only things to be excited by when winning a SS.

Those with a European background understand that there is something called a balanced schedule. We do not have that here. That's a HUGE difference. 

We keep celebrating the SS like it's this massive achievement (it's an achievement, of course) and we keep letting the club off the hook for not adding a 3rd DP or for their moneyball approach

i kinda like seeing lots of wins when i'm at the stadium.  at least i get some enjoyment during they year between the cup failures :-)

as much as I was thinking we should get a DP3 Omir and Valot and quite good in that right wing role and bring something different from Myul who helped us win the SS.  Good luck for us we have all 3! 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

The Shield winner is a Champion!

European ... balanced schedule. ... a HUGE difference. 

The proper pronunciation is Huuuuuuuge!
Unless we extend to 10 months and 46 games,
a perfect balanced schedule is unattainable.
Meanwhile, our divisional formats are finally balanced,
until the next expansion. I have no idea what MLS has planned for 26, 28, or more franchises.

We keep celebrating the SS like it's this massive achievement (it's an achievement, of course)

It IS massive!

we keep letting the club off the hook

Nobody lets RB off the hook. Everyone wants a cup.
Even if they signed Messi, some would still whine.
Dont be like that.

He would probably get hurt, anyway.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
KC dominated that game last night, could have easily been 10-0 if that keeper didn't make some great saves and KC could actually finish better. It's the first time they have advanced this far.

Not sure who hosts the first leg in the next round but it's Kansas City vs Monterrey and Santos vs Tigres.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Nice write up about omir

https://www.prosocce...his-mother-cry/

also - he just turned 20 last month.  Does that make him to old for U20 or maybe he can be a possibility for U 23.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

KC has a great coach but they don't have the talent.  No way they win 2 more games against those teams.  KC is a tough out for anyone though.  That team is crazy tough.  Don't think I've ever seen so many guys on the field, all from the same team, that play an extremely physical style of play.  Maybe if they get favorable refs.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

They'll advance if they grind it out, and maybe the physical play might be the way to do it. Tough it out and win on PKs, just like the '12 and '15 USOCs and '13 MLS Cup. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Just agree to disagree Jake! Nothing but love for ya anyway 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Just agree to disagree Jake!
Nothing but love for ya anyway 

🍻🍻. See you at the game tomorrow!
I will be the one wearing the Shi3ld t-shirt! 😁

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
3-0 Tigres over Santos in leg 1, they scored those 3 in the first 37 mins and didn't give up an away goal so it looks like Tigres will head back to the finals this year. I don't think we would have done well against Tigres with the way they played.

KC at Monterrey tonight.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

vamos Tigres! and Monterrey I guess...count me firmly outside the "rah rah go random MLS team" camp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users