What would you argue would be the worst decision since '96?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts
I know this shit has been discussed over and over on this board (and Dan has some put together his incomparable lists that leave one dumbfounded). However, I always find it humorous to go back and wonder "WTF."

just a couple off the top of my head.

Diego SERNA in the allocation draft. Ralston was picked two choices after, which would have been a win win for this franchise. He was a known commodity at that time (Serna was scoring goals, but he was also known for being flakey at the time as well). The worst part about it is that we actually traded MARK CHUNG to get fucking Diego Serna. The fact that OZ is getting a job in MLS is questionable solely based on this decision.

Steve Shak over either Nick Garcia or Carlo Bocanegra. Nick Garcia was the big guy coming into the draft that year. There were SI articles on him and everything. Kansas City must have wet their diapers when that happened. Adin Brown. Carlos Bocanegra. OZ you suck.

Sergio Galvan Rey getting a second year guaranteed. For me this is the decision that ultimately crippled the Bradley era (which in my opinion was generally positive in its sanity, effort, and quality of play; an oasis amidst the bullshit of the past decade and a half). If SGR was a Freddy Montero, the history of this franchise probably would have been re-written for the better (especially considering that we usually had decent midfield play).

Those are three that have always irked me that I immediately thought of. There are a lot more.

Octavio Zambrano in his three years has so many fuck-ups whole treatises could be written.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,379 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Those are up there. The idiotic trade that gave DC Eddie Pope and us Edsucko is up there, as it set the stage for both franchises. Dumping Gio for a phantom allocation is up there. Dumping Michael Bradley for nothing is up there. Firing Bob and Arena is up there. Using a DP on Reyna is up there. Paying a king's ransom for Osorio is up there.
MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
the whole VDB situation

cleaning house to get Lothar

steve shak

5 year plan

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Those are up there. The idiotic trade that gave DC Eddie Pope and us Edsucko is up there, as it set the stage for both franchises. Dumping Gio for a phantom allocation is up there. Dumping Michael Bradley for nothing is up there. Firing Bob and Arena is up there. Using a DP on Reyna is up there. Paying a king's ransom for Osorio is up there.

Solid choices. This is like picking your poison. I always thought OZ not picking the local kid in Edson Buddle was comical. The entire off-season after Bradley was fired, where Molalas were going to transform us into a machine with a 3-5-2, where Pete Canero would be lined up as a winger with Marvel Wynne overlapping him from the right center back position to be one of most idiotic periods of my life. What was scary about it was that a sizable group of our hardcore fans, not to mention many beat writers, weren't skeptical about that bullshit at ALL.

KDyer1012

KDyer1012

Well, he's no Michael Lewis...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Supports:One of those bogus Euro or S.A. teams
I may be alone in this, but firing this guy:

Posted Image

He always said it was a four year plan and during his three years with the team, you'd be hard pressed to find a MLS team that had more wins - the franchise was just incredibly consistent.

Mistakes were made, but there was stability.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,005 posts
Trading Eddie Gaven for E. Buddle.

Gaven was a fan favorite and a kid who was very successful given his age. He had a crappy last few months here, but Buddle was terrible in NY.

Paying a ridiculous salary for the waste of space known as Polish Vallo.

The Claudio Reyna DP was probably one of the five worst decisions made.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,041 posts
Letting Donadoni go with a year left on his contract so he could rot on AC Milan's bench while Etcheverry, Cienfuegos, Valderamma, etc rolled on.

Trading Brad Davis so we could pick Magee. Not a top 5, but even Bradley couldn't help but tamper with a good thing.

Some of our blunders look worse in 20/20 hindsight, but for me it is hard to beat Shak and trading DVDB since they seemed completely and entirely uncalled for.

I would have to say that Osorio did the most individual dammage, but only in hindsight. I didn't see that coming when we hired him, but I believe that firing Bradley was the worst of all. We had been in a vicious cycle of trading away tomorrow (our draft picks) to spend on midseason "saviours" that almost always disappointed. We had gotten into a pretty deep hole. Bradley had a plan and had finally restocked us with some quality young Americans and had mostly gotten us back to where we had our early round picks back on a yearly basis, and then boom! Suddenly we had Mo the day trader at work and that was that. Arena with time probably would have gotten us back on track, but that too was not to be.

The Metrologist

The Metrologist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
Doing Jaime Moreno a solid by hovering Saigon '75 style over RFK's rooftop, dropping a rope ladder, and gesturing "come on!" is the single worst thing the Metros ever did. It led to the end of the Metros.

It's bad enough we took on a DC icon. It's worse that we - Bob Bradley, namely - got taken by a DC icon.

If Jaime takes a couple fucking Doan's Pills and performs in 2003, instead of being the consummate goldbricker while waiting for Ray Hudson to get lost before tootling back down 95, then that Metro team has a legitimate threat up top. Then there's no need to go after SGR in '04, much less get locked into that stupid, crippling 2 year contract. The team is altogether stronger (we can only guess at results) and that redheaded fuckwit Lalas doesn't arrive on the scene. Or if he does, at least it's not nearly as easy for him to undermine Bradley and scatter that young, promising team to the winds. Counterfactual histories are always a bit of a reach, but I say a Metros team on the rise at the end of '05 - perhaps they win a playoff series or more in this alternate reality? - isn't so easily flogged off to the soda people in March '06. After all, winning MLS Cup once kept a team from being contracted. But as it was, that Metro team staggered to the end of '05 under an interim coach. And we know what happened within months.

But no. Jaime Moreno is a fucking reprehensible dog. Alexi Lalas is a fucking asshole. Together, they prepared the ground for the death of the Metros. Not enough tragic things can happen to the two of them.
No one makes TV commercials to get people to look at their billboards.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

Trading Eddie Gaven for E. Buddle.

Gaven was a fan favorite and a kid who was very successful given his age. He had a crappy last few months here, but Buddle was terrible in NY.

at the time it wasnt a bad trade..buddle was a year removed from a great season and he was only 24 at the time. IIRC we needed a forward bad too. No one expected him to suck that much in NY.

the bad moves that we saw comming pisses me off the most

Fk fan favorites....my favorite players are the ones that help us win

5 year plan

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts
  • Supports:New York
Becoming a fan?*

(*just kidding)

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Doing Jaime Moreno a solid by hovering Saigon '75 style over RFK's rooftop, dropping a rope ladder, and gesturing "come on!" is the single worst thing the Metros ever did. It led to the end of the Metros.

It's bad enough we took on a DC icon. It's worse that we - Bob Bradley, namely - got taken by a DC icon.

But no. Jaime Moreno is a fucking reprehensible dog. Alexi Lalas is a fucking asshole. Together, they prepared the ground for the death of the Metros. Not enough tragic things can happen to the two of them.

I actually didn't mind the Moreno trade. I really think it was a risk worth taking. He was injured though, and although he's been decent with DC since, he really hasn't regained his magic from the first 4 or 5 years in the league. The fact that Bradley let him go to me was actually a classy move on his part. Moreno wanted to leave. He didn't want to play here. It would have been nice to get more in return (I think it was something minor), but that wasn't the singular deal that killed us.

But yea, if Moreno worked out back then how differently everything would have worked out.

Buddle for Gaven was a bizarre trade, because since then they've kidn of tracked each other. Neither has really dominated nearly as much as their talent suggest. Gaven has been decent with C-bus and Buddle has been all over the place. At the time I was outraged, but in hindsight it seems kind of a wash.

The Brad Davis for Magee is another interesting deal. Magee honestly was so highly touted coming up, I don't think it necessarily was a bad gamble. The other thing with him is injuries. He was never the fastest, but they've really sapped some of the nimbleness and trickiness that made him a joy to watch his first year up. I'll say this about him, he's a really good soccer player the way Razov is a really good soccer player. Differnet types of players, but they really know how to play the game.

The Metrologist

The Metrologist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Moreno wanted to leave. He didn't want to play here.

Yes and that's the endlessly aggravating part. Bradley treated him with class both bringing him in and letting him go. He basically gave Moreno a year's rehab assignment on the Metro payroll. All he needed Jaime to do was to try, and Jaime fucked him over completely.

If you're a DC fan, you just laugh at what ends up being an astonishing subversion and then return by one of your team's heroes. Agent Moreno was one of the main inside players in the literal end of your rival. It's ridiculous.
No one makes TV commercials to get people to look at their billboards.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Yes and that's the endlessly aggravating part. Bradley treated him with class both bringing him in and letting him go. He basically gave Moreno a year's rehab assignment on the Metro payroll. All he needed Jaime to do was to try, and Jaime fucked him over completely.

If you're a DC fan, you just laugh at what ends up being an astonishing subversion and then return by one of your team's heroes. Agent Moreno was one of the main inside players in the literal end of your rival. It's ridiculous.

I have to admit that was a while ago. I don't remember much about the surrounding events. Yes, it was dissapointing he left like that and didn't give us his all. What was the trade even? Was it Petke? Something else?

The other thing is that the surgery that he had, herniated disks or whatever was very very serious. I have a cousin who had similar procedures done, and the recovery etc was difficult. There must have been substantial questions at the time whether or not he could even make a roster.

The Bradley era has to be amongst the most bizarre in Metro history. He is basically the anti-Metro. Selfless, no ego, etc. Yet he is so polarizing amongst the fanbase for whatever reason.

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Supports:Metro Liverpool Lokomotiv Sounders
Posted Image

Metrostars FC -- "The hardest FC in the world"
Метро Красное Общество Звезды

If only all footballers were like David Bentley

Elseth7

Elseth7

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT

Posted Image

really?
as much as I hate rooting for a team with such bull shit corporate ownership and name, they haven't exactly wronged us. Would JPA be playing for the metrostars? Would we be looking forward to playing in a place thats not giants stadium next year if we were the metrostars? I'm fucking embarrassed when I tell my friends who my "favorite" team is, but red bull buying the team was definitely not the worst thing that ever happened.

I guess it depends on how you look at it.
"I'm sure we won't hear much from [Philly] because of the quality of our fans, of how loud and how boisterous they are," Petke said. "They're probably going to drown them out. But I welcome it. I love it..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users