45 replies to this topic

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Man, this dude Thelwell from England better be the bees fucking knees or we're so fucked it'll make 2009 look like a good year. 

It is hard to have any faith in what they are doing, where they are going, or whether they'll even still be around by the time we get there. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

In regards to the message, it's irrelevant. I get that it may put Armas in an awkward spot but the end result is the manager insulting our intelligence by trying to pass this off as a legitimate belief he has. 

I think Armas is a bad coach, but I just dont see what he said wrong here. He never said these guys were as good as Vela or Chocharito. He doesnt pretend like this is a MLS Cup winning quality side. What he said was all garbage and nonsense, but us fans arent the only listening to what he says. He has to consider the players and what their reaction will be to his words.

Hes trying to get guys to play over their heads so they can be competitive.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

What can you expect from Armas except spin and coach speak. He can only talk up his guys, he's not in charge of building the squad. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I think Armas is a bad coach, but I just dont see what he said wrong here. He never said these guys were as good as Vela or Chocharito. He doesnt pretend like this is a MLS Cup winning quality side. What he said was all garbage and nonsense, but us fans arent the only listening to what he says. He has to consider the players and what their reaction will be to his words.

Hes trying to get guys to play over their heads so they can be competitive.

We're talking past each other. I agree that he said what he needed to given his job and the implications of what the players will respond to. That doesn't change the fact that it's insulting to our intelligence. That's the position Armas has been put in.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

We're talking past each other. I agree that he said what he needed to given his job and the implications of what the players will respond to. That doesn't change the fact that it's insulting to our intelligence. That's the position Armas has been put in.

Its only insulting to our intelligence if we cant figure out why hes saying what hes saying - we know what hes doing. Could you give a better answer that wouldnt demoralize the players?

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Its only insulting to our intelligence if we cant figure out why hes saying what hes saying - we know what hes doing. Could you give a better answer that wouldnt demoralize the players?

No, I cannot. It's like a defense lawyer offering up an implausible scenario for his clearly guilty client. The defense lawyer is saying what he can given the circumstances, but it's still an objectively absurd statement.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
Saw someone pointed this out on twitter:

Armas in theory doesn't have control over player signings, that's on Hamlett and higher ups.

But after Taxi leaves essentially because he says the organization doesn't care about being competitive, going into the new season saying "yeah, we arent thinking about the playoffs" is a terrible look for any team that actually wants to attract players.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Did none of the people on this call ask Armas to define what the "process" is?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

No, I cannot. It's like a defense lawyer offering up an implausible scenario for his clearly guilty client. The defense lawyer is saying what he can given the circumstances, but it's still an objectively absurd statement.

Agree. I think Armas is a bad coach, not a bad guy. I dont think hes shoveling this shit to fool us, I think hes shoveling it to fool his players.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Did none of the people on this call ask Armas to define what the "process" is?

I think he said the process is to continue to confuse and infuriate Grelladinho.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

https://twitter.com/...6467980288?s=19

"Asked Chris Armas what his expectations are for 2020 season given that much of team that finished in sixth place last year is back.

He said he's not thinking about the playoffs or MLS Cup and no one is talking about. He added his focus is on excellence & the process."

Well I'm glad nobody is thinking about the playoffs, because with our roster now, we're probably a good 2-3 spots out of it.

I really have no problem with this.   Do the work, and the results will come.   Be the best you can be.   One drill at a time, one half at a time, one game at a time.   Its fine and appropriate for us to here to bemoan whether we have the talent to win it all, but that stuff is just a distraction for the coach and players, especially in pre-season.  Keep the boys focused on the work.   At some point maybe it will be time for a big rah-rah inspirational, aspirational speech about keeping an eye on the prize, but we are far from that point.      

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

What would you like instead

Its do or die in mid Feb because if we don't win MLS Cup (for the 25th time) its a disaster of the highest order.  Everyday I berat the team because they are weak and remind them of their past failures through posters and videos throughout the training facility.   

its Feb - coach speak.  ehh

that being said looking forward to real game soon!

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
Two things I found of note there. He admitted us being interested in a number 9.

2. There is nothing imminent and that sucks

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

What would you like instead

Its do or die in mid Feb because if we don't win MLS Cup (for the 25th time) its a disaster of the highest order.  Everyday I berat the team because they are weak and remind them of their past failures through posters and videos throughout the training facility.   

its Feb - coach speak.  ehh

that being said looking forward to real game soon!

It is coach speak and you're right, it doesn't matter.

But I get the sense the fan base wants someone to own up to the current state of the roster and explain why it is what it is right now at this point in the offseason. No one in the front office seems to be taking note of that.

One of these two scenarios is happening behind the scenes:

1) Red Bull has given the front office plenty of cash to spend, but Hamlett and the scouts are too stupid to identify targets and/or get deals across the finish line.

2) Red Bull has not given the front office cash to spend and Hamlett/Armas are too scared to speak up and complain to get more of what they need.

Someone needs to show some accountability. Doing that instead of speaking about the mystery "process" would go a long way I would think.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

It is coach speak and you're right, it doesn't matter.

But I get the sense the fan base wants someone to own up to the current state of the roster and explain why it is what it is right now at this point in the offseason. No one in the front office seems to be taking note of that.

One of these two scenarios is happening behind the scenes:

1) Red Bull has given the front office plenty of cash to spend, but Hamlett and the scouts are too stupid to identify targets and/or get deals across the finish line.

2) Red Bull has not given the front office cash to spend and Hamlett/Armas are too scared to speak up and complain to get more of what they need.

Someone needs to show some accountability. Doing that instead of speaking about the mystery "process" would go a long way I would think.

Would Armas or Hamlett still have a job if either of them did what you suggested?  That's not to say Armas is getting enough out of what he has or that Hamlett is doing a good job with the resources he is given.  I don't think either deserve a passing grade. 

Both guys are only in their current positions because Marsch put them there before he left.  I can't see Armas or Hamlett ever getting another MLS job head coaching or running a team.  This is it for them. We really can't expect them to get up there and say the owners suck and aren't providing RBNY with the funds needed to sign the players needed to compete for MLS Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users