25 replies to this topic

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Not sure how you guys don't get bored of making the same "we're not signing anyone" joke 500 times per week. It's like Spongebob ripping his pants.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Not sure how you guys don't get bored of making the same "we're not signing anyone" joke 500 times per week. It's like Spongebob ripping his pants.

It's gallows humor and will continue until actual bona fide talent befitting a major team in a major market is acquired. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

It's gallows humor and will continue until actual bona fide talent befitting a major team in a major market is acquired. 

Yeah i'm all for gallows humor but eventually the gallows get fucking bored of the same joke. At least be original.

Also we're in 4th place. Not exactly the "gallows."

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Yeah i'm all for gallows humor but eventually the gallows get fucking bored of the same joke. At least be original.

A better description might be pillory humor.  

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
The strange part is that we are E4 with the third worst home record in MLS, due to the best away record.
The sad part is that our FO probably views this as another successful season of low-budget soccer.
Its philosophy of not spending works in a league full of lousy teams who trip over each other in futility.
So, making the playoffs for several consecutive years somehow justifies our commitment to mediocrity.
It is enough to make more STHs cancel.
Meanwhile, RBS have won 9 consecutive league titles.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

So, making the playoffs for several consecutive years somehow justifies our commitment to mediocrity.

Amen..in all honesty, making the playoffs in MLS is almost a freebie if you have half a decent team. That should not be a litmus test for success. Success at the end of the day is fucking winning a damn trophy! Which our Team continues to fall, excruciatingly short from. I would rather not make the playoffs because we all know it will end up on a first round loss!

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Not bad, could definitely be much worse. Making the playoffs sure beats not making the playoffs.

The sad part is they've done plenty right, yet refuse to spend a couple of extra million on offensive pieces to get us over the top - and when they have spent, it's often been a swing and a miss.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Not bad, could definitely be much worse. Making the playoffs sure beats not making the playoffs.

The sad part is they've done plenty right, yet refuse to spend a couple of extra million on offensive pieces to get us over the top - and when they have spent, it's often been a swing and a miss.

It's not even "making the playoffs." Pretty sure most MLS.com predictions had us 6th-8th, and I'm not even going to bother with some of the predictions here. We're solidly in and probably a Tier-2 contender for MLS Cup.

EDIT: The Athletic's poll of readers had us finishing 9th in the East and only 35% had us in the playoffs.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I'm not even going to bother with some of the predictions here.

The winter was a dark time on here :lol:

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

EDIT: The Athletic's poll of readers had us finishing 9th in the East and only 35% had us in the playoffs.

You're burying the lede with that Athletic article. In that same poll of readers, when comparing how much higher fans ranked their own team compared to fans of other teams, RBNY came in dead last! We are officially the most pessimistic fan base in the league!

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The strange part is that we are E4 with the third worst home record in MLS, due to the best away record.
The sad part is that our FO probably views this as another successful season of low-budget soccer.
Its philosophy of not spending works in a league full of lousy teams who trip over each other in futility.
It is enough to make more STHs cancel.
Meanwhile, RBS have won 9 consecutive league titles.

making the playoffs is something to celebrate. imagine being cincy, chicago or miami who have struggled to make it.

having a low budget team is also okay as long as the team is performing.

what is not okay is seeing that something is not working like our forward situation and doing nothing about it. what is not okay is letting guys leave on free transfer when the team could have raised money and reinvested those funds.

what is not okay is claim that you want to train and develop players but you dont field a complete reserve team and lose u18 prospects to europe. 

this is not a coaching issue but a management issue. whoever is responsible for this needs to be let go. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

We are officially the most pessimistic fan base in the league!

0/26 MLS Cups. 1 actual final.
0/25(?) USOCs, 2 actual finals.
We've earned it.

Not knocking the 3 Shields, but how many of our fan base acknowledge them?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

making the playoffs is something to celebrate. imagine being cincy, chicago or miami who have struggled to make it.

having a low budget team is also okay as long as the team is performing.

what is not okay is seeing that something is not working like our forward situation and doing nothing about it. what is not okay is letting guys leave on free transfer when the team could have raised money and reinvested those funds.

what is not okay is claim that you want to train and develop players but you dont field a complete reserve team and lose u18 prospects to europe. 

this is not a coaching issue but a management issue. whoever is responsible for this needs to be let go. 

yes it is management issue and coming on top of the 10 years of metrostars failures (1 US Cup final) and conisdering how prime the market was to succeed it is not good.  It feels like they are stuck in MLS 2015 and not ready (yet) the MLS 3.0-4.0

the summer window is just bs.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

0/26 MLS Cups. 1 actual final.
0/25(?) USOCs, 2 actual finals.
We've earned it.

Not knocking the 3 Shields, but how many of our fan base acknowledge them?

Anyone who fails to recognize a shield will fail to recognize an Open Cup, only the hardcore fans know either of them exist.

Of the ~15 other MLS teams that haven't won an MLS Cup, there aren't many I'd personally want to trade places with. So it surprises me to see so much hateful rhetoric coming from RBNY fans, as if there is malicious intent behind their playoff mediocrity. It's unlike any other fanbase I've been apart of, and there are some bad teams in there.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Anyone who fails to recognize a shield will fail to recognize an Open Cup, only the hardcore fans know either of them exist.

Of the ~15 other MLS teams that haven't won an MLS Cup, there aren't many I'd personally want to trade places with. So it surprises me to see so much hateful rhetoric coming from RBNY fans, as if there is malicious intent behind their playoff mediocrity. It's unlike any other fanbase I've been apart of, and there are some bad teams in there.

I think it's that there's a direct comparison of resource allocation.

Red Bull spends a fucking ton on their F1 team, Leipzig, and Salzburg. Their resources are functionally limitless.

So it's extremely frustrating to watch them put out an MLS team with one of the lowest payrolls in the league year-after-year.

I get why they don't invest much in the playing squad here, but it's still annoying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users