552 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,428 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

At the rec level, its probably good for all kids to get fairly equal playing time; theres no reason to turn anyone off at that point.

Exactly - my goal coaching was never about scholarships or academies, it was to make sure the kids would love and play the game their entire lives.   Its ridiculous to target any more than that for 99% of the kids.   Of course, everyone thinks their kid is in he 1% and the rec coach is holding him back.  If a kid has any shot at playing at an elite level, he'll/she'll stand out from the crowd and get all the minutes he/she needs and more.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

IIRC, not too long ago 16 of the 26 starting MLB shortstops were from one city in the DR.
https://en.m.wikiped...dro_de_MacorĂ­s
The story is told that one successful MLBer returned and wanted to build beautifully manicured ballfields like those he saw across the USA. The legendary reply was that, if he did so, there would never be another star ballplayer from that city.

That story brings to mind Bruce Arena's complaining about the field in Trinidad before we lost and bombed out of the WC.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,067 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

At the rec level, its probably good for all kids to get fairly equal playing time; theres no reason to turn anyone off at that point.

My point was that some parents obsess about it.
They want to tell the coach what to do, but will not volunteer to help out.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

My point was that some parents obsess about it.
They want to tell the coach what to do, but will not volunteer to help out.

gotcha

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,067 posts
Not limited to USA or sports leagues:
https://www.rossenda...anning-14900847

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

bukie2k

bukie2k

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts
  • Supports:ManU, Cosmos, Metros

USA wins the World Cup, in 2026.

Probably this country's last best chance to win in my lifetime.

When you are born, you get a ticket to the freak show. If you are born in the United States, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

The Belgian pro league teams don't have academies?

This what is making the difference -  we now have the very first wave of kids coming through who grew up in professional academy systems, then bypassing college.    The challenge will be for the pro academies to identify young kids outside of the ridiculous pay-to-play systems we have.    We now can develop them properly, but we still have a challenge finding them to bring in.    We are still too reliant on places like Holmdel for talent.

Yes, they do but I mean kids as little as 7-8 already have the technical skills that outpace anyone that I remember watching in the US at those ages. Kids play soccer with whatever litmited space they have too at their school yards here. Dont' see that America. Dont' even know what 1st-3rd garders play during recess...probably flag football (smh)...

But really, how are academies supposed to pick up on players that aren't already playing somewhere where they'll be seen? Word or mouth or maybe twitter videos?

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

They funny thing is that for example, many parents here just drop their kids while they have a beer, coffee, or wait in the car. Some stay, but it's a distraction for many kids already at 5,6, 7 to be having their parents. At matches, they'll go an support them, but never have I seen coaches berated or confronted.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,067 posts

kids as little as 7-8 already have the technical skills that outpace anyone ... in the US at those ages. Kids play soccer with whatever litmited space they have

Some of the kids play barefoot, and with bundles of rags.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,067 posts

Is there a worse ambassador for the sport than Neymar right now? A total flopper.

Is it in our nature?
http://www.dailymail...rly-humans.html

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,067 posts
Belgium put England to the sword.
Vardy should have played.

MetroFever

MetroFever

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

So the United States has  over 24 million Americans playing soccer (out of 325 million americans) and the country has not been able to produce players like Mandzukic, perisic, rakitic or Modric.

Keep in mind that Croatia only has 4 million people in the country but has had a much greater success rate.

this data just shows what is wrong with american soccer. 

Our best American player Pulisic is Croatian and US Soccer can't take credit for his development. Hid dad played at the pro level.

I could write a book on this topic. In the states, the Academies have been raking in the money and produced no one. Thousands of Brits have come to the US to train our kids and what have they done? They couldn't cut it home, so they arrive here where Americans think they must know the game because of their accent. 

I was hoping by not qualifying, US Soccer would make changes to it's system. Nothing has changed. It's still about money and not about producing the best players.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Our best American player Pulisic is Croatian and US Soccer can't take credit for his development. Hid dad played at the pro level.

I'm sorry, what? He played for 7 years in a USSDA-affiliated club, and his dad played indoor. I'm sure that home coaching helped, but to say that American soccer can't take any credit is ridiculous.

Plus, he's of Croatian descent. It's not like he was born in Zagreb. The Pulisics have been in the US for at least 50 years.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,067 posts

Our best American player Pulisic is Croatian and US Soccer can't take credit for his development.

Did you miss my July 21 post?
His wiki page says he was offered the chance to play for Croatia. Looks like they have managed to get by without him. Does he speak the language?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,067 posts

He played for 7 years in a USSDA-affiliated club ... home coaching helped, but to say that American soccer can't take any credit is ridiculous. Plus, he's of Croatian descent. It's not like he was born in Zagreb. The Pulisics have been in the US for at least 50 years.

I may have spent more time in Zagreb, than he did, but there is nothing in the good Hershey water that made him into the great soccer player that he is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users