428 replies to this topic

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

OMG. He has been the most clutch, and simultaneously the most underrated, player in this club's history. TH14 was superb, no doubt. But BWP, imo (definitively (and subjectively) has contributed more to this club, and if he wins the OC he'll have more hardware too. Making him the best player in club history period (subjectively). [/tackiness]

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

He's continuing Henry's standard of excellence and professionalism that transformed the team. And he keeps getting better. You can tell he'd be a great coach as well. Hope he's a Metro lifer. Woly 5.0.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

If you're going by goals scored, of course BWP will be the best. He's played here for a few years and has been very consistent (on a seasonal basis). He's also been very effcient, both in terms of goals per game and goals per shots/chances. That's the argument that SHOULD be made in his favour. If counting stats and especially goals are decisive in a "greatest player" debate for you, there's no other choice than BWP.

Instead, the post I answered said "shows up in the biggest games, time and time again," which is a very high standard for anyone, and certainly not one BWP's lived up to in the past two seasons in playoffs and CCL, while playing on much better teams overall than Henry ever played on while here.

My argument for Henry is not based on "he's been the most prolific scorer for NYRB," as that's obviously not the case, in the regular season or the playoffs. He played in a different role from BWP, especially in his last couple of years. He was a creator. He was freeing up space for others. He was setting the tone for the squad and was an example to largely shitty rosters. He elevated others' and BWP's play. He created tens of highlights that won't be forgotten. Scored some of the best goals I've seen on TV and in person. He changed the franchise, putting it on the map for a lot of US and international soccer gans. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to win a title by himself. (Neither will BWP - not by himself.)

Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion. For me, it's not the counting stats that matter.

I don't want to influence who you think is the club's GOAT — you could easily make an argument for Henry! I love the man. There was no other reason to watch the team in 2011. He played a huge role in our first-ever trophy in 2013. And then there was the destruction of D.C. in our 2014 playoff run, still one of my favorite Metro moments. 

But if you're benchmarking players based on playoff performance, Henry had his fair share of disappointments and blunders, as well — none worse than (needlessly) encroaching on Kenny Cooper's penalty in that awful meltdown against D.C. Point being that I think a lot of fans hold BWP to an unfair standard, especially in comparison to other club legends.

Because of his incredible scoring record, for example, it's easy to take BWP's productivity for granted. Yes, his goals the other night were against USL competition. That doesn't diminish their impact. The Crew couldn't score on this USL team, the Fire couldn't score on this USL team and RBNY were very close to losing to this USL team — if it was so easy to score on them, then someone else might have carried us to victory! Instead it was BWP.

No, BWP is not perfect in the playoffs or CCL, but neither was Henry, JPA, or basically anyone else. If any of our other stars had showed up in the biggest games, time and time again, year after year, then we would be having a very different conversation, but such a player has not come along.... Yet! 

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I think the biggest reason that BWP is looked at differently is because so much of his game is based on other guys doing well.  If BWP doesn't get service, it's a question as to whether he's going to make an impact.  He's not the best passer in the world (although this year I believe he's improved) and he's not amazing on the ball.  What he is fantastic at is his finishing.  

With Henry, he could have the entire team around him playing like garbage and he was still going to make something happen.  

Either way, we get an Open Cup trophy and I will never have an argument with anyone saying that BWP is the top guy (although I'll always personally believe it's Henry).  Same with an MLS Cup.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I don't want to influence who you think is the club's GOAT — you could easily make an argument for Henry! I love the man. There was no other reason to watch the team in 2011. He played a huge role in our first-ever trophy in 2013. And then there was the destruction of D.C. in our 2014 playoff run, still one of my favorite Metro moments. 

But if you're benchmarking players based on playoff performance, Henry had his fair share of disappointments and blunders, as well — none worse than (needlessly) encroaching on Kenny Cooper's penalty in that awful meltdown against D.C. Point being that I think a lot of fans hold BWP to an unfair standard, especially in comparison to other club legends.

Because of his incredible scoring record, for example, it's easy to take BWP's productivity for granted. Yes, his goals the other night were against USL competition. That doesn't diminish their impact. The Crew couldn't score on this USL team, the Fire couldn't score on this USL team and RBNY were very close to losing to this USL team — if it was so easy to score on them, then someone else might have carried us to victory! Instead it was BWP.

No, BWP is not perfect in the playoffs or CCL, but neither was Henry, JPA, or basically anyone else. If any of our other stars had showed up in the biggest games, time and time again, year after year, then we would be having a very different conversation, but such a player has not come along.... Yet! 

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. 

I will say that I'm not benchmarking based on playoff performance - my initial reaction about that "shows up in the biggest games, time and time again" quote was that it's just not true (not in 2015 or 2016 or in the early spring of 2017). That neither Henry nor JPA nor anyone else has lived up to that (incredibly high) standard is completely accurate. But neither has BWP, that's all. 

He sure did on Tuesday. I hope he does it again in the final and in this year's playoffs. It probably still wouldn't change my opinion. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Seeing a bunch of clips of Henry today coming along with all the birthday wishes, its clear he has one thing that BWP will never have - pure, unadulterated entertainment value. Both skill on the field and demeanor off it it, the man was just a gravitational pull of attention. And when you're talking about something as subjective as "best player" for the team, there's just no way to cast that aside.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

If you're going by goals scored, of course BWP will be the best. He's played here for a few years and has been very consistent (on a seasonal basis). He's also been very effcient, both in terms of goals per game and goals per shots/chances. That's the argument that SHOULD be made in his favour. If counting stats and especially goals are decisive in a "greatest player" debate for you, there's no other choice than BWP.

Instead, the post I answered said "shows up in the biggest games, time and time again," which is a very high standard for anyone, and certainly not one BWP's lived up to in the past two seasons in playoffs and CCL, while playing on much better teams overall than Henry ever played on while here.

My argument for Henry is not based on "he's been the most prolific scorer for NYRB," as that's obviously not the case, in the regular season or the playoffs. He played in a different role from BWP, especially in his last couple of years. He was a creator. He was freeing up space for others. He was setting the tone for the squad and was an example to largely shitty rosters. He elevated others' and BWP's play. He created tens of highlights that won't be forgotten. Scored some of the best goals I've seen on TV and in person. He changed the franchise, putting it on the map for a lot of US and international soccer gans. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to win a title by himself. (Neither will BWP - not by himself.)

Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion. For me, it's not the counting stats that matter.

When I wrote that, I actually did think of the the Montreal sitter, and the Columbus playoff game when he failed to score. So your right, maybe its not "every single time". But he has come through in the clutch A LOT of times.

Of course Henry was better than BWP its not even remotely a discussion. I just think in terms of "big time moments", BWP is the bigger legend to the club.

Part of this is because BWP has had the benefit of more big moment opportunities than Henry. Imagine if Henry had played in important Open Cup games, CCL games, or NY Derbys. Who knows what he would have done?

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

When I wrote that, I actually did think of the the Montreal sitter, and the Columbus playoff game when he failed to score. So your right, maybe its not "every single time". But he has come through in the clutch A LOT of times.

Of course Henry was better than BWP its not even remotely a discussion. I just think in terms of "big time moments", BWP is the bigger legend to the club.

Part of this is because BWP has had the benefit of more big moment opportunities than Henry. Imagine if Henry had played in important Open Cup games, CCL games, or NY Derbys. Who knows what he would have done?

I think their contributions are pretty equal, just in different ways. Besides the most skilled, Henry added a certain je ne sais quoi flair and personality to the team. He was great fun to watch. BWP has been clutch and hard to argue with the strike rate and his workmanlike humbleness is inspiring.

Little noted in the earlier discussions on Henry is we had him past his physical prime. He produced because of his skill and incredible soccer IQ, but he couldn't contribute all that much defensively. While that never showed in the stat sheets, it definitely left us more vulnerable. BWP is non stop and is important to our high press approach. 

Henry was the better player, but I think our team is better now.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Without 2 years of Henry barking at him, does Sean Wright-Philips' brother become B! W! P!?

It's a lineage of best-ness, really. I gots no problem calling em both GOAT.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Bradley Wright-Phillips Recognized as Most Prolific Goalscorer in MLS History!

https://www.newyorkr...rer-mls-history

Super Metro

Super Metro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars 4Ever, USA National Team

Need a ticket for KC OC game! 

Metro/Red Bull
4 Ever

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Need a ticket for KC OC game! 

because BWP is the greatest player to have ever worn the shirt?

BTW, saw him yesterday grocery shopping at the new Wegmans.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Was he wearing the shirt?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Was he wearing the shirt?

civilian/casual

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Nice.  What was in the cart?  I feel like he definitely would have picked up some of that fresh hummus from the olive bar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users