732 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

over last 5 years to be honest i care less about spend and more about how long we let clearly incompetent people keep their jobs.  Armas was a season too long Hamlett is going on 3 seasons too long.  Sucks we arent really a feeder for RB executives because that would weed out guys like Hamlett who can barely do a job in MLS let alone in Europe.  

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

how long we let clearly incompetent people keep their jobs.  Armas was a season too long Hamlett is going on 3 seasons too long. 

Facts. The fact that Hamlett is still around means that RBG believe he is doing his job well, which is actually insane.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

over last 5 years to be honest i care less about spend and more about how long we let clearly incompetent people keep their jobs.  Armas was a season too long Hamlett is going on 3 seasons too long.  Sucks we arent really a feeder for RB executives because that would weed out guys like Hamlett who can barely do a job in MLS let alone in Europe.  

MdG is a good 3-4 seasons too long too. Just rotten across the FO.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

we arent really a feeder for RB executives because that would weed out guys like Hamlett who can barely do a job in MLS let alone in Europe.  

Many wide-ranging organizations have dumping grounds.
F Troop, at Fort Courage.
Fort Zinderneuf, on the edge of nowhere.
The FBI Butte, Montana Field Office.
For RB, it appears to be Harrison, NJ.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

MdG is a good 3-4 seasons too long too. Just rotten across the FO.

Are you seriously suggesting the soda guy who fired Bruce Arena ever had any business being in the position he was in? The soccer version of Eric Bischoff firing Steve Austin only even dumber and more indefensible.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Gotta do what you gotta do. Unfortunately unlike maybe other teams in this league that have local ownership groups, what we do as fans is going to have little impact on how this team operates.

There arent enough on the same page, or enough period, to make a big enough stink. Even now when it feels like support is coalescing against Red Bull for a number of different reasons.

My wish would be for Red Bull to take some cash out but diversify the ownership of the team. Red Bull could sell a minority stake to local ownership. Retain team name, stadium name, and first rights to players in development. Red Bull runs the sporting side and has input to player acquisition and draft, but let a local minority owner run the entire business side including marketing, game day experience, merchandise. Red Bull could provide a first team budget which could be supplemented higher by a local owner. Local owner would want to win for ego. Red Bull could benefit from continued player development and eventually rising franchise value. We need a Merritt Paulson or Steven A. Cohen type in NY. I think the idea that they will just sell outright is far fetched. They can continue as they have been going, competitive but young and cheap, drawing 11,000 a match, and in a decade see the team worth 1 billion just by default thanks to MLS growth.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

My wish would be for Red Bull to take some cash out but diversify the ownership of the team. Red Bull could sell a minority stake to local ownership. Retain team name, stadium name, and first rights to players in development. Red Bull runs the sporting side and has input to player acquisition and draft, but let a local minority owner run the entire business side including marketing, game day experience, merchandise. Red Bull could provide a first team budget which could be supplemented higher by a local owner. Local owner would want to win for ego. Red Bull could benefit from continued player development and eventually rising franchise value. We need a Merritt Paulson or Steven A. Cohen type in NY. I think the idea that they will just sell outright is far fetched. They can continue as they have been going, competitive but young and cheap, drawing 11,000 a match, and in a decade see the team worth 1 billion just by default thanks to MLS growth.

I think Red Bull is a soda company and their whole sporting side is a mess. Outside of RBL, RBS and Red Bull Racing, there seems to be no accountability or plan from the top. I can't imagine how much wasted money they must spend getting guys to sky dive from space, race airplanes, sponsoring every mountain bike competition in the world. They even have two F1 teams, which is just weird. Wasting money on weird ventures is ok with them, part of doing business. What they have done sports side has no corollary anywhere - they are truly unique. There is really no competitor to measure yourself against and that breeds ineptitude. 

To your point, having someone who was really focused on the NY team long term at an emotional level would help. Everyone is here to go somewhere else. That's fine for young players, but coaches, directors, uber-directors (Gomez), all seem to just be padding their resume. "In NY, I was able to get the lowest payroll team to be mid table! Imagine what I could do here!" 

They arent the worst owner from an outside-of-sports integrity point of view, but they are not here to win. They are a rich kid who lackadaisically leaves the convertible top on their Ferrari down for two months outside... they just forgot as they drive the G-wagon most days and park it right in front of the mansion.  

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

i would love to be able to park my G Wagon in front of RBA.  i also loved the sky dive from space.

(oh sorry off topic)

I think having a 'local' owner with skin in the game is a good idea.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

https://www.msn.com/...ect/ar-AA103Bkk

"The Red Bull clubs' focus on developing young talent and selling them for profit while remaining competitive was praised by Klopp prior to Wednesday's loss to Salzburg."

"What Red Bull is doing is a really interesting project, I have to say,” Klopp said to LFCTV.

"The team is incredibly young but incredibly skilled. Again, they kind of change every year, they sell players but still a good team.

"It’s really interesting what they are doing. The football philosophy is not too far away from ours as well."

Problem is, we are incredibly young, but not incredibly skilled.    And we rarely sell a player for profit.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

"The Red Bull clubs' focus on developing young talent and selling them for profit while remaining competitive was praised by Klopp prior to Wednesday's loss to Salzburg."

"What Red Bull is doing is a really interesting project, I have to say, Klopp said to LFCTV.
"The team is incredibly young but incredibly skilled. Again, they kind of change every year, they sell players but still a good team.
"Its really interesting what they are doing. The football philosophy is not too far away from ours as well."

Problem is, we are incredibly young, but not incredibly skilled.    And we rarely sell a player for profit.

Ah, thats because New York is the true grand project. How poorly can you scout, and how cheap can you be while still being somewhat successful?

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Problem is, we are incredibly young, but not incredibly skilled.    And we rarely sell a player for profit.[/quote]We are definitely young and we are skilled. I think Red Bull is doing incredibly well for youngest team, cheapest payroll. But it means we will compete but again not win one of the three domestic trophies. We are not the Toronto Maple Leafs. You just cant go this long without giving your fans legitimate hope that you can win a Cup. At least complete your roster. Throw a measly few extra million at the roster.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

"What Red Bull is doing is a really interesting project, I have to say,” Klopp said to LFCTV.

"It’s really interesting what they are doing. The football philosophy is not too far away from ours as well."

I think it's MLS. They would love to recreate RBS in NY and would happily dump money into that venture, but MLS rules with rosters limits and only a few big money players mean you can't do it here. They bought RBNY on a whim and have no idea what it should be. 

Now the asset is appreciating, which must just confuse them more. 

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

They would love to recreate RBS in NY and would happily dump money into that venture, but MLS rules with rosters limits and only a few big money players mean you can't do it here.

This used to be very true but is getting less and less true with the U22 initiative and seemingly endless TAM. These days you can build a roster with 5-6 project players of DP or near-DP level quality.

The problem is, we've shown no desire to build a full roster let alone use the roster rules to their full extent. We build our roster to minimize the real money input from Red Bull and hope for the best. It's not good enough, it hasn't been for years, and on top of all that, we aren't hitting on most of the signings we do make.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

agree - we are stuck in MLS 2015ish mode or MLS 2019 light

Many other teams are fully in on U22 initiative.

you will have transfers that don't work out for various reasons. 

BIGGEST issue by far is no striker and window open for 3 weeks. Unless we were deep into Suarez negotiations but doubt it.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal
Sporting directors most important job is the ability to turnover a roster. Which ironically is hamletts worst attribute. Its a shame we let the RBS sporting director go to Philly because the timing of our 2018 szn tricked them into thinking Hamlett was good. But hamlett failed that summer to supplement our best team ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users