• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

People hated Muyl and didn't want him on the field under any circumstance.  Myself included.  Had nothing to do with role.

But even outside of the last month, he's my preference to have on the field.  The chart that showed how many chances he creates for the team (even though the same chart showed he screwed up a ton) was my wake-up call. Someone who's creating that many chances should be playing.  

Valot was still best case scenario, but Muyl should be on the field

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

lots of people were crapping on Muyl because he made boneheaded plays and his hustle wasn't enough to overcome his shortcomings.  however, as the season progressed, he's definitely improved his game.  no one should have to "eat crow" for rightfully calling out an underperforming player who winds up improving later in the year.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,771 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

no one should have to "eat crow" for rightfully calling out an underperforming player who winds up improving later in the year.

Perhaps the tone of the callouts should be regretted.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

People hated Muyl and didn't want him on the field under any circumstance.  Myself included.  Had nothing to do with role.

So you would write off a 22 year old?  Ok.  My issue with Muyl was his usage and the amount of minutes he was getting over other young players like Etienne.  That was Marsch though, he played what he thought was he Best XI as often as he could, then would make wholesale changes for a midweek game and then right back to his starters.  Armas' way seems to be working better for our bench guys and the team overall is better for it.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

So you would write off a 22 year old?  Ok.  My issue with Muyl was his usage and the amount of minutes he was getting over other young players like Etienne.  That was Marsch though, he played what he thought was he Best XI as often as he could, then would make wholesale changes for a midweek game and then right back to his starters.  Armas' way seems to be working better for our bench guys and the team overall is better for it.

There are plenty of 22 year olds who get written off.  Hell, they are on the USL team.  You have to constantly make judgements and my judgement at the time (and for a long time) was that Muyl didn't have big league athleticism or skill, but he has big league effort.  But what I didn't realize is that a lot of his off the ball movements cause a lot of good things for the team.  

I don't think Armas vs Marsch has anything to do with it either.  Muyl is playing really well regardless of role.  I don't think he's playing better because of how he's being used, I think he's playing better because he's figured out things to improve. He's certainly young, so it does make sense although I can say I didn't think it would happen. As for the team being better overall, our PPG is right around the same mark.  

I hope like hell we are going to win the MLS Cup and everything, but next year is the year we are truly going to find out about Armas.  A full offseason and a full season where it's his team. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

There are plenty of 22 year olds who get written off.  Hell, they are on the USL team.  You have to constantly make judgements and my judgement at the time (and for a long time) was that Muyl didn't have big league athleticism or skill, but he has big league effort.  But what I didn't realize is that a lot of his off the ball movements cause a lot of good things for the team.  

I don't think Armas vs Marsch has anything to do with it either.  Muyl is playing really well regardless of role.  I don't think he's playing better because of how he's being used, I think he's playing better because he's figured out things to improve. He's certainly young, so it does make sense although I can say I didn't think it would happen. As for the team being better overall, our PPG is right around the same mark.  

I hope like hell we are going to win the MLS Cup and everything, but next year is the year we are truly going to find out about Armas.  A full offseason and a full season where it's his team. 

So two young players in Etienne and Muyl, both start playing better under Armas, AFTER Armas gives them consistent minutes off the bench, in positions that match their skill sets, building their confidence, and you think the way Armas has handled them (the role he has given) has nothing to do with that improvement. Ok...

My biggest criticisms of Marsch were no Plan B and the way he handled the bench. Armas comes in and deals with both. He maybe went too far in moving away from the press, but hes handled the bench brilliantly.

Im not saying Chris is a better coach than Jesse. I dont know if Armas could have got this team to the level they are at with press the way Marsch did. But, with a squad that already knows the press inside and out like this one, Armas looks like a better in game manager and maybe a better man manager then Marsch. Armas is focused on the game at hand, but is also preparing for the playoffs. Get a Plan B now in for when you need it later. Get guys minutes now, in case you need them in playoffs.

Three years in a row, Marsch just threw Veron out there in the second leg of a playoff series, when the team was facing elimination. You dont think the team would have better set up to succeed if Marsch had given Veron the types of minutes Armas is giving Etienne and Muyl?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,277 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Three years in a row, Marsch just threw Veron out there in the second leg of a playoff series, when the team was facing elimination. You dont think the team would have better set up to succeed if Marsch had given Veron the types of minutes Armas is giving Etienne and Muyl?

Def coulda solved the puzzle of Veron if Armas was running the show. Or at least got more out of Veron. What could've been. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Everton

Def coulda solved the puzzle of Veron if Armas was running the show. Or at least got more out of Veron. What could've been. 

The thing that always riled me up about Veron was if you looked at his stats vs. minutes played, he had really good production, he just never got more than a cameo role under Marsch. 

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,378 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The thing that always riled me up about Veron was if you looked at his stats vs. minutes played, he had really good production, he just never got more than a cameo role under Marsch. 

I like the guy,  especially how he handled the lack of minutes and the language barrier.    But he was often injured, and his most productive spot was in BWP's position, or maybe even at the 9, which explains why he got so few minutes.   I never saw him as terribly effective on the wing; he certainly had the physical ability, but mentally never picked it up on what he needed to do in that position in our system..  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,277 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

All's I'm saying's, Armas might've made happen. 

*shrug* 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

So two young players in Etienne and Muyl, both start playing better under Armas, AFTER Armas gives them consistent minutes off the bench, in positions that match their skill sets, building their confidence, and you think the way Armas has handled them (the role he has given) has nothing to do with that improvement. Ok...

Muyl didn't get consistent minutes in the exact same position he's playing now?

OK...

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Muyl didn't get consistent minutes in the exact same position he's playing now?

OK...

Here are Alex minutes by game under Marsch in 2018:

0, 0, 90, 0, 3, 0, 3, 19, 23, 1, 17, 8, 89, 90, 26, 60

And, hi minutes by game under Armas:

90, 59, 13, 81, 21, 25, 20, 63, 1, 19, 76, 23, 25, 25, 79, 76

His minutes since Armas look more consistent to me... Alex was an unused sub four times under Marsch.  The first two are explainable because they bookended CCL matches, but the next two cam after Muyl played very well against Minn U and were part of a four game stretch in which he played no more than three minutes.

Since Armas has been manager, Muyl has only played less than 13 minutes in a match one time and that was part of the five games in 15 days stretch.

I'm not saying Marsch didn't play Alex, of course he did.  I was one of the loudest saying he was playing too much.  My only point was that once he lost his spot to Valot, he wasn't always getting the 15-20 minutes sub appearances Armas was giving him when RZA started a few games over him.

And, regarding my comment about position, I was referring more to Etienne there.

Alex and DE are both playing better now than either has did with Marsch.  Call it what you, I probe to give Armas credit as I think he's dealt with players more in a more even manner.  I think Marsch was more feast or famine - you are my starter and will play 80+ minutes most matches or you're not, and maybe I'll get you in.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,378 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Alex and DE are both playing better now than either has did with Marsch.  Call it what you, I probe to give Armas credit as I think he's dealt with players more in a more even manner.  I think Marsch was more feast or famine - you are my starter and will play 80+ minutes most matches or you're not, and maybe I'll get you in.

They are young guys who you expect to develop and get better, independent of any particular coach.   It's just a natural progression.    The love fest around Muyl over the past few weeks is as attributable to the lack of really shitty shots taken by him as it is to anything else.    Take away that one ridiculous weird goal Ettiene had v. Toronto (defender inexplicably falls on his ass, DE needlessly gives himself a ridiculous angle instead of cutting inside), and he hasn't been anything special under Armas v.  expectations either. 

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,771 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

young guys ... develop and get better, independent of any particular coach ... natural progression. 

Plenty have not progressed.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

They are young guys who you expect to develop and get better, independent of any particular coach.   It's just a natural progression.    The love fest around Muyl over the past few weeks is as attributable to the lack of really shitty shots taken by him as it is to anything else.    Take away that one ridiculous weird goal Ettiene had v. Toronto (defender inexplicably falls on his ass, DE needlessly gives himself a ridiculous angle instead of cutting inside), and he hasn't been anything special under Armas v.  expectations either. 

Eh, the Toronto goal was lucky, but the game changed when Derrick came on - both goals were scored after he came in.

We can agree to disagree.  Under Marsch, after Muyl lost his job to Valot, he played 0-3', in four out of the next five games.  I think there is something calming, that whether Armas thinks Muyl or RZA is the starter on the wing, Alex knows he's going to at least 15-20' game.  That builds confidence in a player, that you trust him whether or not he's the starter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users