Why can't we just buy a team like LAFC & Atlanta?!

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,743 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Cahill ... was great for us ... shame he couldn't convert ... in New England that would have sent us to the final.

People forget his remarkable goal earlier in the match:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=ebshvaI5Ug8

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,505 posts
  • Supports:Metro

LAFC is in the midst of the most successful season of any team in league history, with its marquee player having the best season of any player in league history.

Regardless of whether they win MLS Cup this year, they are positioned better than Red Bulls in the near future to go all the way.

But hey, I guess I'm being a crybaby, so I shouldn't point that out.

Last year, we were in the midst of the most successful season of any team in league history.

I think our owner is shit, but just saying...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Supports:METRO
RB had the best season in league history last year and we all know how that went. LAFC still hasn't beaten the galaxy and playoffs are a whole different beast as we all know, sure they will win the supporters shield but so have we..

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts

lets lay the blame where it needs to be at the Metrostars.  Highly unpopular opinion but hey. 

Plenty of opportunity to spend $$$$$$$ to take a 10 team league.  They did it to some extent bringing in players like Donadoni, Branco and Matteaus and others.  Could have spent a little more and sealed it up. 

Red Bull (hate or indifferent to the brand) gave everyone what they wanted - excellent development academy and stadium AND big time players in Henry, Rafa and Cahill who also didn't get it done (robbed by no red card v NE).  Worked for LAG - us not so much.  

Based on that RB decided to double down on academy and scale back $$.  Which was unfortunately the wrong choice as 1-2 more players likely would have made the difference over the last 3 years.  

They did go get us the missing piece of a high level winger.  

The coach, although new and making some odd choices, has switched up the formation to bring out even more offense.  

Lets see if he can be productive in his limited run and the DEFENSIVE PLAYERS CAN GET their act together.  

Now is the time to spend more $$$ AND develop.  Lets see if they do it this off season with the change in the territory rules AND the appointment of Ralf.  

Lets go Red Bulls.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Last year, we were in the midst of the most successful season of any team in league history.

I think our owner is shit, but just saying...

And now we are a cheapskate moneyball club that only signs prospects from the academy or from friends of Hamlett/Red Bull, while Atlanta and LAFC very likely will not go in that direction.

They will continue to spend and fill their rosters with skill players that put them in a position to go far, while Red Bull is acting like a total farm team.

I know all MLS clubs are seller clubs but are any as blatant as Red Bull? It's like all they care about now is using the first team as practice for the scrubs to get them ready for Salzburg/Leipzig/being sold abroad.

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

And now we are a cheapskate moneyball club that only signs prospects from the academy or from friends of Hamlett/Red Bull, while Atlanta and LAFC very likely will not go in that direction.

They will continue to spend and fill their rosters with skill players that put them in a position to go far, while Red Bull is acting like a total farm team.

I know all MLS clubs are seller clubs but are any as blatant as Red Bull? It's like all they care about now is using the first team as practice for the scrubs to get them ready for Salzburg/Leipzig/being sold abroad.

You would think we are a doormat reading some of these posts. I don't mean to detract from the sad reality that we have never won an MLS Cup or a US Open Cup (three cup finals, zero wins), but this has been a winning club the past decade despite not spending the way we wish they would (Henry, Cahill, Marquez aside). The past six seasons have seen three Shields and a US Open Cup final, and we are on the verge of a 10th straight playoffs appearance and potentially a home playoff game.  If we hadn't dropped so many points needlessly this year, we'd be in first in the Eastern Conference right now.  I desperately wanted to win that US Open Cup in 2017 because despite it being the lesser Cup, I thought it might have broken the playoffs curse.  That would have been four trophies in six seasons. With regard to MLS Cup, I'd argue that corporate has built a team good enough to win it multiple times, but individual players have simply failed in some big moments because, that's so Metro.  Someone also alluded to the fact that this team never won an MLS Cup in all those years that the league was at 10 - 12 years. It only gets harder each year.  I look at all the investment Red Bull has made in this club and appreciate it. Every year we at least have a chance. Unfortunately our European owner probably looks at the Shield and says 'that's the real champion;' they probably view MLS Cup the same way Ibra does.  Winning one damn MLS Cup would do so much to change the mentality of this organization. I honestly think it will take a year like 2008, and come out of the blue. 

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,999 posts

RB had the best season in league history last year and we all know how that went. LAFC still hasn't beaten the galaxy and playoffs are a whole different beast as we all know, sure they will win the supporters shield but so have we..

This is very much true, but I also think it is clear we are far behind in the attacking third when looking around MLS.

BWP's aging legs a big factor here, but the team is just short of what is needed to score in big spots. The lack of fire power is alarming. 

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,108 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

You would think we are a doormat reading some of these posts. I don't mean to detract from the sad reality that we have never won an MLS Cup or a US Open Cup (three cup finals, zero wins), but this has been a winning club the past decade despite not spending the way we wish they would (Henry, Cahill, Marquez aside). The past six seasons have seen three Shields and a US Open Cup final, and we are on the verge of a 10th straight playoffs appearance and potentially a home playoff game.  If we hadn't dropped so many points needlessly this year, we'd be in first in the Eastern Conference right now.  I desperately wanted to win that US Open Cup in 2017 because despite it being the lesser Cup, I thought it might have broken the playoffs curse.  That would have been four trophies in six seasons. With regard to MLS Cup, I'd argue that corporate has built a team good enough to win it multiple times, but individual players have simply failed in some big moments because, that's so Metro.  Someone also alluded to the fact that this team never won an MLS Cup in all those years that the league was at 10 - 12 years. It only gets harder each year.  I look at all the investment Red Bull has made in this club and appreciate it. Every year we at least have a chance. Unfortunately our European owner probably looks at the Shield and says 'that's the real champion;' they probably view MLS Cup the same way Ibra does.  Winning one damn MLS Cup would do so much to change the mentality of this organization. I honestly think it will take a year like 2008, and come out of the blue. 

The point is, it has always gotten tougher as the league progresses, but with teams like ATL and LAFC now spending like they are, its getting out of reach for teams like us.   We are going from being a real contender to merely being competitive.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I love the shield but the problem with it is every year we have won it we died out in horrible fashion in the playoffs.

2013 - blew a 2-0 lead on the road to draw 2-2 because of a stupid red card and then lose in extra time with a ball barely crossing the line at home to an absolute dog shit Houston team in the first round we played.

2015 - was great knocking out DC but then we go and basically lose the series 9 fucking seconds into the game against Columbus which is still a record for fastest MLS playoff goal I believe and then a late goal with 5 minutes to go which basically sunk us for a chance to host MLS Cup yet again. Pretty sure I remember a ball in the final minutes of the 2nd leg at home just hitting the post and not going in either which would have tied us on aggregate.

2017 - go to Columbus and play stupid non pressing soccer and get shutout, adjust at home and win. Go to Atlanta and play the same stupid non pressing soccer that didn't work in Columbus and get our teeth kicked in by Atlanta 3-0 with no hopes of overcoming that at home to blowing another chance of hosting MLS Cup.

Now did I enjoy all 3 shields? Absolutely, I was there for all of them and I'd never miss a chance to be there when we win one but I'd be lying if I didn't think it was diminished after we bowed out of the playoffs in the most nuclear explosive fashion possible every time.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,505 posts

The point is, it has always gotten tougher as the league progresses, but with teams like ATL and LAFC now spending like they are, its getting out of reach for teams like us.   We are going from being a real contender to merely being competitive.

Except that last year, it was here for the taking. An accumulation of a decade of sustained progress. Who knows what next year brings... (I doubt it brings much. :()

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

You would think we are a doormat reading some of these posts. I don't mean to detract from the sad reality that we have never won an MLS Cup or a US Open Cup (three cup finals, zero wins), but this has been a winning club the past decade despite not spending the way we wish they would (Henry, Cahill, Marquez aside). The past six seasons have seen three Shields and a US Open Cup final, and we are on the verge of a 10th straight playoffs appearance and potentially a home playoff game.  If we hadn't dropped so many points needlessly this year, we'd be in first in the Eastern Conference right now.  I desperately wanted to win that US Open Cup in 2017 because despite it being the lesser Cup, I thought it might have broken the playoffs curse. That would have been four trophies in six seasons. With regard to MLS Cup, I'd argue that corporate has built a team good enough to win it multiple times, but individual players have simply failed in some big moments because, that's so Metro.  Someone also alluded to the fact that this team never won an MLS Cup in all those years that the league was at 10 - 12 years. It only gets harder each year. 

I look at all the investment Red Bull has made in this club and appreciate it. Every year we at least have a chance. Unfortunately our European owner probably looks at the Shield and says 'that's the real champion;' they probably view MLS Cup the same way Ibra does.  Winning one damn MLS Cup would do so much to change the mentality of this organization. I honestly think it will take a year like 2008, and come out of the blue. 

Very glass half full look (and others' views are diametrically opposite and glass half empty, obviously). I do agree with most of it, but that doesn't mean that there aren't issues or that the performance of the FO couldn't be much better - I think you'd agree.

RB has done really well at infrastructure and bringing young players along, and they were willing to spend on big names in their early years.

So it is frustrating of the team to not do both at the same time at a marginally higher cost - and we're not even asking or expecting to get players like Giovinco, Ibra or Vela necessarily (although it would be nice). I don't thinking asking for a couple of good players to be signed in February and July instead of 1 guy at the end of August is an unreasonable expectation, for example.

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

And buried in my point is the fact that Red Bull can buy Thierry Henry, Tim Cahill, Miguel Almiron, or Carlos Vela and there's no way to guarantee you will win the trophy you really want.  We didn't win MLS Cup with Donadoni. We didn't win it with Angel. We didn't even get there with Henry, Cahill, and Marquez. Couldn't get there when BWP was the best scorer the league had ever seen.

I do agree with you that I like our odds better with Carlos Vela in a red shirt, but still, it's just tough to win playoffs.  Last year ATL collapsed on Decision Day and we stole the Shield from them. They paid us back and won MLS Cup. Had those results been reversed it would be all wine and roses in Metroland.

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

So it is frustrating of the team to not do both at the same time at a marginally higher cost - and we're not even asking or expecting to get players like Giovinco, Ibra or Vela necessarily (although it would be nice). I don't thinking asking for a couple of good players to be signed in February and July instead of 1 guy at the end of August is an unreasonable expectation, for example.

I totally agree with this. It's unfortunate that they don't take a hard look at the club in the offseason and say, 'We should spend for a proven right midfielder' or 'Franck Ribery as a one year 'rental' might bring the mentality and the smarts to put this team over the top' or 'Murillo is just not the guy and Duncan isn't ready. We need right back depth.' It's not an unreasonable expectation at all.  From the few minutes I saw of Sims I'm curious what having him, Kaku, and Royer could produce over a season, but borrowing him for 6-8 games is almost a slap in the face. It was the club saying, shoot, the fanbase expects us to do something at the window.   

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,108 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

And buried in my point is the fact that Red Bull can buy Thierry Henry, Tim Cahill, Miguel Almiron, or Carlos Vela and there's no way to guarantee you will win the trophy you really want.  We didn't win MLS Cup with Donadoni. We didn't win it with Angel. We didn't even get there with Henry, Cahill, and Marquez. Couldn't get there when BWP was the best scorer the league had ever seen.

I do agree with you that I like our odds better with Carlos Vela in a red shirt, but still, it's just tough to win playoffs.  Last year ATL collapsed on Decision Day and we stole the Shield from them. They paid us back and won MLS Cup. Had those results been reversed it would be all wine and roses in Metroland.

Those "we didn't win with Henry"  and "no guarantees"  comments are tedious horseshit.   Back then we had no depth, and ran out of gas.   Today we have no stars.  To win, especially now,  you need both, stars and depth.     There may be no guarantees of winning, but I can guarantee we won't win if we don't step up.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Those "we didn't win with Henry"  and "no guarantees"  comments are tedious horseshit.   Back then we had no depth.   Today we have no stars.  To win, especially now,  you need both, stars and depth.     There may be no guarantees of winning, but I can guarantee we won't win if we don't step up.    

We weren't deep enough to win with Henry in 2013 and 2014? That's horseshit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users