240 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

MLS needs to get rid of the discovery rights rule. Who owns the mls rights for Messi? Ronaldo? How did dc united discover a 25 yr old international? Red Bulls should have a team that puts discovery claims on all the best youth talent in the world then.

I believe there is a very limited number of players you can tag.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Supports:Metro
You can tag 4 and its a way of calling dibs on a player before you go and scout them or prepare and offer so the agent cant bid you against another mls team

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
I see we still dont understand discovery rights.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I see we still dont understand discovery rights.

I already covered this, you can read in Taxi thread. We weren't even in the serious running for Taxi as DC offered way more. If we were, and he wanted to come here, it would be a different conversation as discovery rights could have been acquired from DC. It comes down to this: we need to spend to get a good striker, just like we did to get Luq. However, after striking out on Klimala, it doesn't seem like FO/ownership is willing to Luq's equivalent at striker, a Taxi like player. Fletcher was a consolation (read cheap) prize, which looks to be not a prize at all.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I already covered this, you can read in Taxi thread. We weren't even in the serious running for Taxi as DC offered way more. If we were, and he wanted to come here, it would be a different conversation as discovery rights could have been acquired from DC. 

I'm starting to doubt that we ever actually made a bid for Taxi. That came from one Euro source and was not corroborated by anyone who covers RBNY or MLS.

If RBNY were serious enough about him to make a bid, I would assume they would put discovery rights on him themselves. The fact that DC had his rights say to me that it's likely they were the team negotiating with him all along and the Euro outlet got it wrong.

Either way, once DC had those rights, they would be under no obligation to sell them to us, and certainly not at a reasonable price. RBNY was smart to move on to their next target, unfortunately Fletcher hasn't lit it up like Taxi has. FWIW, my guess is that Fletcher would cost just as much if not more than Taxi. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Either way, once DC had those rights, they would be under no obligation to sell them to us, and certainly not at a reasonable price. RBNY was smart to move on to their next target, unfortunately Fletcher hasn't lit it up like Taxi has. FWIW, my guess is that Fletcher would cost just as much if not more than Taxi. 

If they didn't want him or he refused to join them, they would have to sell us the discovery rights at a fixed price of 50k.

https://www.mlssocce...and-regulations
If a club wants to sign a player on the Discovery List of another club that has higher Discovery priority on the player, it may offer that club $50,000 in General Allocation Money in exchange for the right to sign the player. The club with the player on its Discovery List will then have five days (or three days during the Secondary Transfer Window) to either (i) accept the General Allocation Money and pass on the right to sign the player or (ii) make the player a genuine, objectively reasonable offer.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
Good find I had no idea that $50k was set in stone

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

If they didn't want him or he refused to join them, they would have to sell us the discovery rights at a fixed price of 50k.

https://www.mlssocce...and-regulations
If a club wants to sign a player on the Discovery List of another club that has higher Discovery priority on the player, it may offer that club $50,000 in General Allocation Money in exchange for the right to sign the player. The club with the player on its Discovery List will then have five days (or three days during the Secondary Transfer Window) to either (i) accept the General Allocation Money and pass on the right to sign the player or (ii) make the player a genuine, objectively reasonable offer.

Interesting, never knew that

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
https://view.fanmail...db5318e2a2575c7
Probably would have sucked for us.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts
  • Supports:Mighty Metros

https://view.fanmail...db5318e2a2575c7
Probably would have sucked for us.

I see your sarcasm, and I raise  you Tyler Pasher!!

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Looks like we dodged a bullet by not going with Fountas. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Why, what happened? He was doing well before, made MLS all start team.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Why, what happened? He was doing well before, made MLS all start team.

Has been accused by several Inter Miami players of calling one of their players the n word

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Some insights:

https://twitter.com/...9KAMRribAg&s=19

He will be gone.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Had an assist in the 22nd, scores a goal in the 57th:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=cTKP1ph7apU
Drops a bomb in the 59th?
https://sports.yahoo...-014553715.html

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users