RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

https://www.uslsocce...cle/show/971819
No update since this?
Any contract? Salary scale?

CBA expected this coming year. Spent the year developing an executive counsel and getting established.
The players union has taken to social media recently with a "One Voice" message being shown by members of many teams. (@USLPlayers on Twitter)
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts
  • Supports:Metro

very well said!

that's why i don't get why fans of the indy USL-C teams want the MLS reserve teams out of USL-C and into USL1. the reserve players might feel like, "fuck playing USL1, i'm here now at USL-C making 45k. i'm liking the fuck outta this situation, and i might even have a chance at the 1st team." fuck what it looks like in the stands, the players on the 9 MLS reserve squads in USL-C are getting compensated and they're hungry to make an impression.

also, no one had any idea that USL-C would be where it is now since '14, when LA fielded their USL team. i love that it's growing and our reserve team thrives within it. i just want the conditions to be better across the board, and i'd totally advocate for USL-C guys to make 40k+ and the MLS reserve team players getting the current entry-level MLS salary (55k). I do hope that the new MLS CBA will allow for a higher pay bump to the reserve team guys. 

Conflict of interest. If your in a city without an MLS team for 5+ hours but have a USL team, THAT is your thing. You treat it line your MLS because it's what you have. It's a reason people show up for independent teams. Why go to the 2 show when the real time costs $5 more and is up the road? 2 teams are for development. It feels watered down.

Maybe it doesn't make sense for folks in NY/NJ but there's a reason the overwhelming majority of fans in smaller markets are against 2 teams. No one wants an MiLB situation. They want to believe their league is more meaningful. There's the USOC, the preseason tournaments with MLS, the long shot of pro/rel.

I think salaries around $50k with housing and stipend changes things a bit. Most of us drop $25k+ on housing per month so that's not an insignificant perk but at $20k you're still borderline poverty. The team finances are drivers of this. No luxury of a TV deal like MLS.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I don't think USL salaries are kept artificially low by owners or anything like that. The salaries are low because there isn't enough money (yet, hopefully?) for higher salariesfor everyone. (Please correct me if that's not the case.)

What you're saying probably applies even more for MLS where even despite recent significant raises, the indications are still that teams make sizable profits, and players iirc still only get 25% of the revenue. I'm sure the next CBA negotiation will be interesting.

Also, going to a U18 team in Europe is hardly a bad thing for someone's development. Higher risk, certainly.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,060 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

CBA expected this coming year. Spent the year developing an executive counsel and getting established.

It has been a year. Way too slow, IMO.
Will USL have a CBA for the 2020 season?
Especially, one with a decent minimum base salary?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,060 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

fans in smaller markets ... want to believe their league is more meaningful.

USL need no franchises with the 2 label.
Some MLS clubs rebranded their 2s.
The rest should. Why not RBNJ?

Most of us drop $25k+ on housing per month

What?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,126 posts

What?

Agree on rebranding as I don't like the 2 name although strangely SKC just changed theirs back to a 2 name.

Montclair Matadors?

North Jersey Fist pumpers brought to you by Red Bull.  Rotating vodka co sponsor

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,613 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

What?

Im pretty sure he meant per annum

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

Agreed, need to rid the 2 element. 7 clubs remain with the 2, II, or B attachment. Not counting New England and Inter Miami.

I think the clubs having the most success from a business front are those that are hybrids (business side is owned by Reno and Rio Grande Valley ownership, but coaches and players are owned by San Jose Earthquakes and Houston Dynamo). Attendance for these two ranked in the top half (17th and 22nd) in the USL professional system (46 teams), whereas the closest MLS owned and operated team ranked 32nd and down to last place 46th, with the bottom 9 teams having 8 MLS owned clubs.

27. Tacoma Defiance = Sounders
32. Real Monarchs = RSL
33. Portland Timbers 2
34. Atlanta United 2
38. Loudoun United = DC United
39. North Texas SC = FC Dallas (USL1)
41. LA Galaxy 2
42. NYRBII
43. Swope Park Rangers (will be called Sporting KC II in 2020) = Sporting KC
44. Bethlehem Steel = Philly Union
45. Orlando City B (USL1)
46. Toronto FC II (USL1)