It's 9am Monday and he hasn't been fired yet

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,003 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Good morning, everyone. See you in training camp.
Chris, can I see you in my office for a minute?
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=eG2sPj0GJII

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Borats

Borats

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

In his end of year interview last year Robles said as much, "look who they were bringing in compared to us." Farm club mediocrity.

There is no question the team lacks talent, but thats more of a reason to bring the best talent we already have. Buck master didnt have to get embarrassed today - we had Murillo, and Armas had already experimented with Buck in regular season. The problem is he is unable to realize that the experiment failed. That Buck and Lade while work hard are not at Murillo level. He is unable to see that BWP plus another striker always failed before. That second half wasnt random.

He simply failed to use the best talent we had on the talent depleted team already. Failed to learn from mistakes from the beginning of the season. Failed to even realize what went wrong. He said they made one more play as the reason for loss. I just think we need better form our HC, not just a talent upgrade.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2
I would like him to go but I think more faults were made by the front office in personnel.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts

I would like him to go but I think more faults were made by the front office in personnel.

For me it just comes down to so many players getting worse.  There is no way I can blame that on anything but the coach.

Even if this team spent a ton of money (which they clearly don't intend to) I have no faith that Armas could get the most out of them given that he clearly couldn't get the most out of the current team.

I'm rooting for Ralf to take over the team.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts
  • Supports:Metro

That's the thing, Armas definitely made a bunch of moves that make no sense, but this organization puts the coach in a position where he has to be essentially perfect to win.

People seem to think Marsch is the bestest coach ever now, (and comparison with Armas certainly contributes to that perception,) but even he had his flubs in the playoffs, including that lackluster showing against Montreal in 2016 when they let in all the key goals and couldn't score for shit.

Marsch is a great regular season manager but goes galaxy brain in knockout formats.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Marsch learned from his mistakes and evolved. They might have lost next year's Toronto series on stupid away goals, but Marsch's adjustments immediately after Toronto scored in the first half kept them in.

... and that Montreal series complete changes if Sacha buries the PK.

Fair point, though similar end result in both cases. 

It would have been a good test case to see how Marsch did last year with two years of MPF to learn from, his plan B certainly couldn't have been worse than Armas.'

My first post wasn't meant to be an argument for Armas - what happened with him seems to prove my point - his questionable tactics vs. Atlanta cost a team that was more talented and balanced than this one, and pretty much everything that he did since made a bad situation worse. (Whereas a coach with a better plan might have better accounted for some of the variables.) 

The FO sure didn't do him many favors though, and in spite of our expectations to win MLS cup, to have a winning team period with this roster is not necessarily a mean achievement, taken by itself.  But you look at Davis, Long, Parker, etc. who all had pretty steep dropoffs from last year in performance and that's got to be on the coach. There's much more of a case for Armas to go then there was for Petke.

Like a lot of fans, I don't have much hope that things will be vastly different with a better coach; whoever that is will still have to try to make do with a lot less than all of the other big teams (and most of the bad teams too, honestly.)

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

redredred

redredred

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Supports:metro
Ralf and young ambitious guy would be best combo. Did this last year at Leipzig with JM as placeholder for the new guy. Would be happy if Ralf came for a year with the next guy up to assist/take over. Would also probably help get some players in if Ralf is here or has picked who is next.

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos
cant wait until this thread is retitled: The Fired Chris Armas...

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Dyer: "For what it is worth, several sources close to the situation tell me that Chris Armas is expected to return as head coach of #RBNY in 2020.

Team won Supporters Shield, two playoff appearances since appointment last summer"

https://mobile.twitt...995556364750848

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Dyer: "For what it is worth, several sources close to the situation tell me that Chris Armas is expected to return as head coach of #RBNY in 2020.

Team won Supporters Shield, two playoff appearances since appointment last summer"

https://mobile.twitt...995556364750848

Absolute dog shit. That shield has a * next to it when it comes to Armas since Jesse is a huge reason why we won as well.

Armas is more responsible for us giving up 3 goals in Atlanta. We went to Columbus and did absolutely nothing good and he went with the same game plan instead of learning from his mistakes in Columbus..

This year had been absolutely medicore and then we blow a 3-1 lead after half time but yay at least we made the playoffs! Fuck off.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Absolute dog shit. That shield has a * next to it when it comes to Armas since Jesse is a huge reason why we won as well.

Armas is more responsible for us giving up 3 goals in Atlanta. We went to Columbus and did absolutely nothing good and he went with the same game plan instead of learning from his mistakes in Columbus..

This year had been absolutely medicore and then we blow a 3-1 lead after half time but yay at least we made the playoffs! Fuck off.

more responsible than Parker not dealing with crosses from the left for 2 years of playoffs?  Or letting a 5'8 guy dominate him for a goal this past weekend?

and I like Tim Parker as a player but the weird focus on Armas is LOL

SOCCER IS A PLAYERS GAME - coach is a coach who influences the game.  Granted Armas needs improvement and has made a # of weird decisions.  

They think Armas is a generally good coach who can and still is growing.   RALF thinks it  - Jesse thinks it.   

Another year + much different roster .

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

more responsible than Parker not dealing with crosses from the left for 2 years of playoffs?  Or letting a 5'8 guy dominate him for a goal this past weekend?
and I like Tim Parker as a player but the weird focus on Armas is LOL
SOCCER IS A PLAYERS GAME - coach is a coach who influences the game.  Granted Armas needs improvement and has made a # of weird decisions.  

They think Armas is a generally good coach who can and still is growing.   RALF thinks it  - Jesse thinks it.   
Another year + much different roster .

Maybe if they were told to press in Atlanta instead of trying to defend almost the entire game then Parker would never be put in that situation.

That's my main issue with Armas, we went to Columbus and didn't score a goal when away goals really matter because they barely pressed and lose 1-0. Sure we win the second leg at home but instead of going to Atlanta and trying to get goals we did the same exact shit that didn't work in Columbus except Atlanta burned us for 3 goals.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,107 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

If making the playoffs is Red Bull's metric for a successful season, we're in trouble. MF made a good point in his write up here, miracle playoffs runs are going to quickly become a thing of the past with more teams entering the league, parity quickly disappearing as some owners outspend the rest, and a playoff format that requires a slew of away wins against the league's best. Gone are the days where the bottom seeded team can realistically win a Cup.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Maybe if they were told to press in Atlanta instead of trying to defend almost the entire game then Parker would never be put in that situation.

That's my main issue with Armas, we went to Columbus and didn't score a goal when away goals really matter because they barely pressed and lose 1-0. Sure we win the second leg at home but instead of going to Atlanta and trying to get goals we did the same exact shit that didn't work in Columbus except Atlanta burned us for 3 goals.

thats a valid take - live by the press die by the press OR make adjustments because its the playoffs with not having your best 11.  

Pick your poison.

RB Global triples down on youth this offseason. 

They sell Long Taxi etc and then out there stumping look at our development track record for youth (Adams, Miazga, Long, Ream heck even Duncan/Omir as U23 player). Pick your path (Academy, post college, rehab project) we know how to develop players, send some to Europe, while having successful (at least making playoffs) season and did we mention we just brought in a new Academy coach.  Hanover to Harrison to EU pipeline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users