Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Robles got a knock in the '13 Shield game, affected his play the rest of the playoffs. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Anyone criticizing Robles on Giovincos free kick fans from the playoffs last year needs to do a little homework on what happened there. If you understand everything the situation and are still blaming Robles for that goal, then you an f-ing idiot.

Seems harsh. Why are we assuming that having a player backtrack and get to the goalline is a brilliant strategy? Don't see too many teams going that even against great SP takers. Even when you have someone on the goalline (happens rarely) they are already there waiting for it). And ultimately the responsibility organization of the defensive players in situations like these still falls on the keeper.

Last night we didn't get a lot of angles, so it's hard to say what happened with certainy.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Blindly supporting the all time greats got us Tim Howard in goal vs Trinidad and Tobago

Nonsense. This is about snotty remarks.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Blindly supporting the all time greats got us Tim Howard in goal vs Trinidad and Tobago

Fucking read, man. Please. Nobody is categorically shutting down a Robles vs Meara debate on principle. We're saying that citing two goals against over the span of a year as the justification for searching elsewhere is such a stupid means of appeal.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Seems harsh. Why are we assuming that having a player backtrack and get to the goalline is a brilliant strategy? Don't see too many teams going that even against great SP takers. Even when you have someone on the goalline (happens rarely) they are already there waiting for it). And ultimately the responsibility organization of the defensive players in situations like these still falls on the keeper.

Last night we didn't get a lot of angles, so it's hard to say what happened with certainy.

Okay here goes: the team had a set defense for the free kick. Murillo failed to do his job which directly led to the free kick goal. This is no different than a cornerback in football blowing his assignment and giving up a touchdown. You can't then blame the safety who did his job correctly. I don't know why that's hard to understand.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Don't know why you're shitting on the OP. Snarky replies won't hide the fact that Robles hasn't looked automatic anymore as he did a few years ago. The gap between him and Meara has slowly but obviously been shrinking over time.

Thought Robles was pretty average last year but has been good this year. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

not suggesting having Murillo backtrack was brilliant, I was just assuming that was Marschs strategy, not Robles. If that was Robles call, then Ill take the idiot label.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

not suggesting having Murillo backtrack was brilliant, I was just assuming that was Marschs strategy, not Robles. If that was Robles call, then Ill take the idiot label.

It may have been Marsch's strategy but it doesn't get implemented without Robles's buy-in. And sure, Murillo probably blew his assignment, but that's a risk when using complex unusual approaches like that (especially timing the backtracking). I think it's more nuanced than it was Murillo's error, Robles is untouchable and everyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. :)

Robles is still our rock at the back. Nobody's perfect, so he'll obviously make mistakes too, just like anyone else on the team.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Okay here goes: the team had a set defense for the free kick. Murillo failed to do his job which directly led to the free kick goal. This is no different than a cornerback in football blowing his assignment and giving up a touchdown. You can't then blame the safety who did his job correctly. I don't know why that's hard to understand.

You're talking like the game plan was infallible, which is what ivo was calling into question. Having a guy try to sprint backwards to the post as a free kick is being taken by one if the best in the world isn't exactly straight out of the "soccer 101" textbook, there's a reason you rarely ever see it done. If an NFL coach tells his cornerback to ignore the route and do the Macarena instead, do you still blame the cornerback for not stopping the TD?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

You're talking like the game plan was infallible, which is the point ivo was reasonably calling into question. Having a guy try to sprint backwards to the post as a free kick is being taken by one if the best in the world isn't exactly straight out of the "soccer 101" textbook, there's a reason you rarely ever see it done. If an NFL coach tells his cornerback to ignore the route and do the Macarena instead, do you still blame the cornerback for not stopping the TD?

The larger point is that the setup used is Marschs call and Murillo messed it up (or Giovinco saw what was happening and took the kick quick). Robles did his part and people are unjustly placing blame on him. I guess you could blame him for not disagreeing strong enough with Jesses plan. In the cornerback scenario, you can blame the cornerback and coach, but not the linebacker.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

You're talking like the game plan was infallible, which is what ivo was calling into question. Having a guy try to sprint backwards to the post as a free kick is being taken by one if the best in the world isn't exactly straight out of the "soccer 101" textbook, there's a reason you rarely ever see it done. If an NFL coach tells his cornerback to ignore the route and do the Macarena instead, do you still blame the cornerback for not stopping the TD?

Comparing a specific play call to the Macarena is absurd. Murillo was told to do something and failed to do it. That's not on Robles, and this whole stupid thread is partially inspired by a play that was not his fault. That's the problem.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
I feel like this is one of those threads where OP came in with such an absurb take that we all actually agree with each other but are riled up enough to argue anyway.

I also fully stand by my wish to see an NFL CB perform the Macarena during a live play.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

I feel like this is one of those threads where OP came in with such an absurb take that we all actually agree with each other but are riled up enough to argue anyway.

I also fully stand by my wish to see an NFL CB perform the Macarena during a live play.

Unfortunately for you the Giants fired Macadoo because he would've eventually got around to calling that in a game.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Robles has to think on his feet there then... He can see Murillo.  He could see Murillo wasn't making up the distance in time.  Everyone and their brother knew where that kick was going.

I absolutely place some blame on Robles for that goal.  And absolutely place some blame on that first goal vs Philly.  He basically just waived at it.  No serious effort and it's not like the ball hit the side-netting.  The ball hit the goal in a place that seemed very saveable.  

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

some blame on that first goal vs Philly.  He basically just waived at it.  No serious effort ... seemed very saveable.  

Apparently Luis has said that at first he was unsighted, then the ball deflected. I have seen many keepers left flat-footed by deflections. They may have been fooled by the shot. They are not fools.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users