First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Supports:RBNY Player Hatah!

A few clips from the Crew game, links embedded into the text:

Dylan Nealis highlights - borderline MOTM performance for me

Burke with another round of strong hold up and defensive play

A little bit of a look at how differently CCJ and Manoel played the #10 role when attacking. CCJ's play off the ball and on the ball look like a CM, while Manoel's play looks like a striker's. Not a huge surprise that we started creating chances immediately when Manoel came on, but also not a huge surprise that Nagbe got Columbus's attack going later in the 2nd half as Manoel's defensive effort waned.

Manoel came on for Edelman and it really showed, but Manoel was at times playing almost as a #10 which I thought was fairly effective.  He has good instincts, shaving off his defender on Luquinas goal was excellent positioning and play reading.  I hate to admit it on Dylan Nealis but it was a very strong performance, a little too much going to ground for my taste (a la Stephen Keel) but he was effective.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Vanzier showed flashes. I want more aggression. I want him to be as aggressive as manoel and burke. If he doesnt that, he can be a difference maker.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Validation will be Vanzeir scoring 15 this regular season and another 5 in US Open Cup / Leagues Cup / MLS Playoffs. Plus that's got to be on top of Morgan scoring 10 - 15 (he had 18 in all comps last year), and Burke and Manoel chipping in.  This team needs to see its goals-for increasing compared to the last few seasons.

Last year we finished 15-20+ goals behind the teams we need to catch.  If you look just at Philly, we were a massive 37 behind in GD.      Gonna take a lot to catch them.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Last year we finished 15-20+ goals behind the teams we need to catch.  If you look just at Philly, we were a massive 37 behind in GD.      Gonna take a lot to catch them.

Philly's going to regress this year. They overperformed xGD by 22 last season, we underperformed by 2. I also really don't expect Gazdag to drop another 22-goal season. That was a huge outlier for his career.

Still leaves a 12-goal xGD gap, but with a (hopefully) competent striker here and them dealing with early-season CCL, it's a gap that can be bridged.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Manoel came on for Edelman and it really showed, but Manoel was at times playing almost as a #10 which I thought was fairly effective.  He has good instincts, shaving off his defender on Luquinas goal was excellent positioning and play reading.  I hate to admit it on Dylan Nealis but it was a very strong performance, a little too much going to ground for my taste (a la Stephen Keel) but he was effective.

Yeah from my rewatch it looked like for the first maybe 25 minutes of the second half CCJ dropped into Edelman's spot and Manoel took over CCJ's. Same shape different pieces. Towards the end of the half Manoel started to basically play as a second striker. Or maybe he just got tired and stopped defending lol

I like Manoel a lot this season though even if he hasn't scored. He is like Burke in that he's hungry to be involved, and his speed is really unsettling for defenses. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Yeah from my rewatch it looked like for the first maybe 25 minutes of the second half CCJ dropped into Edelman's spot and Manoel took over CCJ's. Same shape different pieces. Towards the end of the half Manoel started to basically play as a second striker. Or maybe he just got tired and stopped defending lol

I like Manoel a lot this season though even if he hasn't scored. He is like Burke in that he's hungry to be involved, and his speed is really unsettling for defenses. 

Same, Manoel's off the ball movement is really clever and he is thick so he rides tackles a little bit when he gets going.  We create more chances with him on the pitch just needs a little more end product.  But at least given his cost and age he doesn't have pressure he can't hand vs being a DP.  A striker 4 of Burke, Vanzeir, Manoel and Ngoma (if he ever gets healthy) would be amazing.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Elias is def a physical player, high hopes for him this season. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users