28 replies to this topic

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

my general expectation of success for any manager / GM combo of our team.  You are judged for requirements annually, and judged for preferences after you've been around for a couple years.  it's Strubers first year so i expect some growing pains but once he gets settled he has to produce.

Requirements

Playoffs Every Year

Winning Record at home

Preferences (need to accomplish at least 3 of these if you've been at the Club for some time)

Trophy obtained in last 3 seasons (shield, open cup, MLS Cup)

1200 minutes played by homegrown players (too fruitful of an area to not develop people)

Qualify for CCL in last 2 seasons

Host playoff game in most recent season

All "nice to have" objectives obtained

Nice to Have

Combined winning record against DC and NYCFC

Top five team in duels won in final third (sign of good pressing team)

Top 3 developer of USMNT players among MLS teams

Fill at least 2 DP slots (hate that i have to put this here)

... potential split thread here ... IMO anyone running the team rn has to come in knowing they have 3(2?) years to win a cup or they're out. Nothing else should matter besides getting a star on that shirt and I hope that Struber was brought in with those terms\intentions. 

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

That's an absurd standard.

After 25 seasons of failure and being close many times. This is a good standard. I dont care if we are in a "rebuild" the fans of this club since day 1 deserve an MLS Cup.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

A place where I get beer and sometimes snacks. 

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Why?  Do you like being disappointed?

Hes still here, isnt he?

My absolute minimum requirement for a successful season is qualifying for continental football (or winning the USOC if that no longer ensures automatic qualifying)

Everything else is just varying degrees of failure.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

If winning Leagues Cup means getting a berth into CCL, cool. If not, don't care. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I personally would be very happy surprised to even make the playoffs.

ftfy

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

After 25 seasons of failure and being close many times. This is a good standard. I dont care if we are in a "rebuild" the fans of this club since day 1 deserve an MLS Cup.

There are 27 teams in the league. This one is in the bottom quarter of player expenditure. Setting an expectation of "title or bust" is delusional.

Like, you can be mad that a title isn't realistic and that the club should be spending more. But to look at the team's performance last year, the new signings, player movement around the league, and say "yeah, we need a title in 2021 or it's a failure" is crazy.

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

If winning Leagues Cup means getting a berth into CCL, cool. If not, don't care. 

It does starting in 2023 with the new CCL format

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

Making the playoffs arent the bar. If hes good, it should be a home playoff match

2nd this.... Have to go further than last season..

Sadly I don't not feel optimistic about this year.. It's been years since I have felt optimistic about Metro
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Hes still here, isnt he?

My absolute minimum requirement for a successful season is qualifying for continental football (or winning the USOC if that no longer ensures automatic qualifying)

Everything else is just varying degrees of failure.

After thinking about it...I would be satiated with the Open cup or winning the CCL.

Seeing as how we are not in the CCL...

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

There are 27 teams in the league. This one is in the bottom quarter of player expenditure. Setting an expectation of "title or bust" is delusional.

You and Koko are talking about two different things. Some of you guys are asking what is a reasonable expectation out of this year's squad (home playoff game). Koko is asking what is reasonable to ask of ownership in any given season (legit shot at a title).

In that sense I don't think he's crazy or delusional. We absolutely should be expecting our owners to do everything in their power to put out a title contending team every year. Whether that ends up being a realistic option is a different story.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

A lot of stupid shit can happen in one playoff game. The one time we went to MLS Cup was with one of our weakest rosters this century. 

I'll feel far better about the direction of our team if we have a strong regular season on the backs of young players than I will if we have a mediocre season and then get a few Royer magical moments to get us an Eastern Conference Final exit. 

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Like, you can be mad that a title isn't realistic and that the club should be spending more. But to look at the team's performance last year, the new signings, player movement around the league, and say "yeah, we need a title in 2021 or it's a failure" is crazy.

While this is true for any rebuild year with a brand new coach, I don't think it's crazy to have those expectations for when there's been 2-3 years of tenure. Jesse is the only coach we've had hit the two year mark and not get fired the next year. 

2010 it was obvious they thought they could just throw some money at it and get a result, there's some sort of pattern in here wit the SS cadence every few years matching the turnover in players and coaching. 

So while it's silly to have an expectation for 2021, I think it's totally on point to consider the clock as having started for Struber's tenure. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I have two bars:

- Be entertaining to watch, especially at home games I attend.   Winning is the easiest, and probably only way to be entertaining.

- Win The Cup.   We've won the Shield plenty.

The Shield and USOC are redundant with bar #1 above.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users