346 replies to this topic

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Sam hasn't really shown any indication that he cares if he plays/doesn't play. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Sam left Charlton before Wright-Phillips joined.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

If it's true what Panzio says and they don't have a DP in mind right now, the appeal for MLS must be small. There are a lot of good names out there, they just must not want to come over. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

scheets973

scheets973

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, USMNT, Santos FC

I guess we are striking out. It would be a shame to think the big names that came through the league were an anomoly. That being said, the Mexican league does not have a lot of big names(that i am familiar with) yet seem to have a vibrant following with some solid products. 

I am really dissapointed in KAKA and honestly, it does not hurt to go on trial, but from the names and leagues these guys play in, I am not to interested.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

I guess we are striking out. It would be a shame to think the big names that came through the league were an anomoly. That being said, the Mexican league does not have a lot of big names(that i am familiar with) yet seem to have a vibrant following with some solid products. 

I am really dissapointed in KAKA and honestly, it does not hurt to go on trial, but from the names and leagues these guys play in, I am not to interested.

Why would you think they are an anomoly?  Perhaps we are striking out; perhaps we are covering absis.

Definately also disappointed in Kaka.

I'm not impressed by their backround but I wasn't impressed by Luke either.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

WTF does this thread have to do with our pursuit of DP3?  And what could possibly lead you to conclude we are strking out, when the transfer window hasn't even opened, and we haven't heard a peep about anyone even talking with us?  They are obviously keeping everything sealed tight, as a professional organization should.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

If it's true what Panzio says and they don't have a DP in mind right now, the appeal for MLS must be small. There are a lot of good names out there, they just must not want to come over. 

Disagree with that.  Think guys are interested in coming over, it's just that Roxy and Petke are being EXTREMELY picky.

Which is fine with me.

Or it's also possible that Roxburgh met with ownership and they didn't exactly give him a blank check.  

letaureaurouge

letaureaurouge

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

I think Roxburgh's point is that he's not interested in bringing over a good name for the sake of it. He wants players that he can be confident fit the system and/or culture of the team.

I don't see any comment, stated or implied, about the overall appeal of MLS to DP-level players.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

A) Of course they have a number of DP's in mind.  It's absurd to think otherwise.  "In mind" and "close to signing" are very different things.

B) I can't make the logic leap from "we don't know who we want" to "nobody wants to come here." 

C) The WC timing complicates things.    There are probably several players who would come over if they thought it wouldn't hurt their chances for making a WC squad.   If you are DP-caliber, you are probably on a national team somewhere, or older than we might want to go with DP3.  Unless you are on a lesser team (say, Australia, Jamaica, etc.) playing in MLS will hurt you.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Or it could mean that Houllier and Roxburgh don't just want to use it for the sake of saying they used it and want to wait for the right guy.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Or it could mean that Houllier and Roxburgh don't just want to use it for the sake of saying they used it and want to wait for the right guy.

That would take extraordinary discipline. 

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

hoofball

hoofball

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metro Stars

Shaun as a designated player. 

I'm going to say this as large and as many times as I need to to even thinking about this:  NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

http://www.mlssoccer...rch-shelved-now

Well, in the article above, Roxburgh described Wright-Phillips as a guy who can play up top or play wide and he described Stachnik as a guy who would play more in an advanced mid type of role.

As for the DP situation:

“We discussed the whole subject, but we haven’t got any specific target,” said Roxburgh. “We had some names to discuss, but we don’t have one at this moment in time that we feel will be a solution for us because you’ve got to take everything [into account]: Are they available? Would they want to come here? How much does it cost? Is it appropriate for our team? Could he blend in?

“Right now, I don’t think we’ll be doing any business like that certainly in the coming few weeks. It’s wide open over the summer period in Europe and so we don’t have to rush to it.”

Basically it's obvious guys like Benayoun are available, it's just that they don't think someone like him fits extremely well, or perhaps is good enough.  Gonna be interesting if someone shakes loose later in the process.  There are always guys.  Cahill I'm pretty sure came along later in the game last year.

hoofball

hoofball

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Why would Sam recommend the guy who would take a spot ahead of him in the lineup?

also this.  Seems highly unlikely.  In fact maybe if it happens I'd be interested to see what happens with Digao or Sam.

hoofball

hoofball

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Don't mind if BWP is worth a shot, is an area of need and if possible to be under 200K might work well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users