59 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
I feel like I'm in the minority, but I think Veron needs to start starting. His upside is higher than Grella's, who I think we've seen the best of. If we have Shield or Cup aspirations we'll need a difference maker. Nothing against Grella, he has played admirably this season. I don't think it's a slight to say the guy that may be our BEST player should start over him.

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Right now, i don't think you can bench Grella. we'll need Veron when we get into the late season since our schedule is compressed there. Start Veron when someone up front needs a rest. I think he could also cover for BWP when he needs a break.

For general play though, i think what Veron give you coming on at the 65-70 minute mark is a LOT more dangerous than what Grella will give you off the bench. Veron's speed is nasty, and against tired legs late in the game it's even better. 

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Veron probably isn't match fit enough yet to start.  Expect him to serve the super-sub role for the time-being.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Veron probably isn't match fit enough yet to start.  Expect him to serve the super-sub role for the time-being.

He thinks he's match fit.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

What was Veron's fitness situation before coming here? Did he actually have much time off since the end of the last Argentine season?

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts
Super sub for Veron for now. Grella and team chemistry top pay - just ask Cahill. Vernon has more upside but no reason to rush it. He was subbing at San Lorenzo. He is greT but not Mesdi. Plus his speed and skill against tired D will be great . Also may beach up dependent like against a speedy Chicago.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

jaemae32

jaemae32

First Team

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ

What was Veron's fitness situation before coming here? Did he actually have much time off since the end of the last Argentine season?

Yes he did.  Also he wasn't starting there.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts
Dup

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I feel like I'm in the minority,

You are.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

tkrzyzostaniak

tkrzyzostaniak

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Minus a questionable performance against the Fire, Grella has been really good. I don't think you can make a change like that right now.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
So no one is curious what Veron would bring to the game if he played 75-90 minutes?

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

I'm curious what he would bring, but not curious enough to bench a guy that has earned the right to start (and produced results) for a guy who just got here. Plus we are the hottest team in the league, there is literally no reason to mix it up. If you had the recipe to Dr. Pepper would you add a 24th ingredient because you think it might make it better despite the fact it's already proven to sell?

Pebble

Pebble

insightful, deep and most creative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Rangers FC, #RedBullOut

Grella starts. Veron hasn't shown enough, yet. Besides, he was a sub prior to coming here. He's likely more productive off the bench... 

#RedBullOut

Thursday, November 27, 2008 -

After another Hatch shank over the crossbar...
"And Hatch wonders why nobody is covering him." - Tony Meola

soccerfreak9210

soccerfreak9210

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Roma, Nats

I totally understand the point of view McS, but the combination of Grella playing well, getting on the score sheet, the team getting results, and the added pressure to perform knowing that someone is on his heels, is enough to keep him in his role. I'm sure Veron would be able to perform as well as Grella after a few games of playing 75-90 minutes, but I don't think you change it up just because somebody has a DP tag. Again, WE'RE GETTING RESULTS! Plus, at this point in the season, I'd argue that the players on the field know what to expect from Grella and vice versa.

This may be a stretch, but dare I liken it to Petke getting results, yet still getting fired for a coach that is doing at least as good a job as he was?

To Pebble^, I doubt Veron rides the bench as a super sub moving forward into the next year or two. We hopefully wouldn't have given him a DP tag to stay on the bench (McS's point in a nutshell)

Belshina

Belshina

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars, Juventus, Real Madrid

Someone needs to start instead Felipe.

Unless I am missing out some deep tactical mastermind behind his presence, but I really sometime dont understand his purpose and what he does on the field.

Id start Veron or SWP and move Sam in the center in #10 position. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users