75 replies to this topic

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

SWP in his prime was a speedy winger who relied on pace to blow by you. The years took his pace away. This polish striker was never fast, so it's unlikely that a few years will wash him up.

He's not the saving grace, but it is a low risk, low reward move. I'm all for it if the alternative is starting or playing Barlow down the stretch. Worst case he sucks and he comes off our roster next year.

Like you said low risk, low reward. The fact we have an old guy here with no speed on RB press system is not very encouraging. I am not convinced Struber will play him over Barlow, who is faster with better cardio and is a favorite of Struber. Low reward is really what this is. We NEED a good player within the next day, not a low reward guy.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

1) I'd rather sign this guy than no one
2) I'd rather sign someone else more of the Vente profile

3) Based on this guy and Fletcher Struber really has a preference for these massive target man types
4) That said it would be nice to have another grown up on a team that needs some more leadership clearly

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Legia team was bad because their defense went to shit (they conceded 100% more goals than previous season), but they ended up scoring only two fewer goals than previous year (down 4%). It does not explain his 60% drop off in scoring. And even worse if you consider other competitions as well, where he netted a single goal in 14 games. Finally - there are not too many good players who are still FAs at this stage. A better explanation is that he declined due to age. Even BWP also dropped off drastically around the same age. You have to admit there is a significant likelihood of that explanation, even if we are not 100% sure.

It's hard to tell if he is washed up or not. Based on what i read, he is going to need service to score. I dont see him creating his own shot. Its unclear if the 60% drop in scoring is because of poor service or he lost his touch. Usually, target/poacher strikers could be effective players into their late 30s.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Like you said low risk, low reward. The fact we have an old guy here with no speed on RB press system is not very encouraging. I am not convinced Struber will play him over Barlow, who is faster with better cardio and is a favorite of Struber. Low reward is really what this is. We NEED a good player within the next day, not a low reward guy.

we also need a guy who can dominate in the air and be a threat on set pieces. He checks those two boxes.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out
0% chance we get this guy. Seriously do u guys actually believe we are signing a 33 year old? We havent signed anyone over 25 in the last 10 years (I'm sure someone has the exact # or stat but i cant be that far off)

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

0% chance we get this guy. Seriously do u guys actually believe we are signing a 33 year old? We havent signed anyone over 25 in the last 10 years (I'm sure someone has the exact # or stat but i cant be that far off)

2015 is the last time we signed someone over 30. BWP's brother.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Bjorn The Bear

Bjorn The Bear

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Supports:RBNY - Nets - USMNT

maybe he has a 12 year old son we can sign

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

maybe he has a 12 year old son we can sign

haha.. this comment reminded me of the birth certificate scene from Hustle

Netflix - Hustle | 22 | Netflix | Facebook

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

2015 is the last time we signed someone over 30. BWP's brother.

and it took months to finally sign him, iirc. played only a few games anyway, with one of his few starts at Portland (correct me if I'm wrong Dan-o)

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

we also need a guy who can dominate in the air and be a threat on set pieces. He checks those two boxes.

I don't think the guy checked any boxes last season aside from getting dropped off a cliff performance wise as he turned 33, and not being signed by anyone in spite of the season about start in a week. He didn't dominate anything since the season before that. You can make an argument he is better than nothing, but that to me is an extremely low bar to clear. We need REAL help. Not an over the hill free agent, who I doubt will play over Barlow.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I don't think the guy checked any boxes last season aside from getting dropped off a cliff performance wise as he turned 33, and not being signed by anyone in spite of the season about start in a week. He didn't dominate anything since the season before that. You can make an argument he is better than nothing, but that to me is an extremely low bar to clear. We need REAL help. Not an over the hill free agent, who I doubt will play over Barlow.

Dude he will play over Barlow. Barlow wouldn't sniff Legia Warzawa's team. If the point is that Struber has some infatuation with Barlow and we need to bring in a Belotti-level player so that he plays him over his boy, that's another story. 

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Maybe his last year drop off was due to Luquinhas leaving? 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Dude he will play over Barlow. Barlow wouldn't sniff Legia Warzawa's team. If the point is that Struber has some infatuation with Barlow and we need to bring in a Belotti-level player so that he plays him over his boy, that's another story. 

Looks like Tomas also wouldn't sniff Legia team now, which is why he is still a FA. And yeah, Barlow for some reason is Struber's favorite, so you need someone who is actually quite good to play over him.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Maybe his last year drop off was due to Luquinhas leaving? 

Wasn't he there first half of the year, where Tomas also sucked? If anything, he did slightly better after Luq left. All I am saying is that there is a HUGE likelihood it is due to age. We've seen good players decline right around the same mark, including BWP, his brother, Sacha, Higuain, etc, and at least it looks like he declined in a major way, and it is only downhill from here. I just want someone better, we NEED someone better, and today is the last day to do it.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

all we have is a rumor.  Why no announcement?

the guy is free agent but still get it over the line if thats all we got. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users