64 replies to this topic

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Tolkin's been called into USMNT's January camp, with games against Serbia and Colombia.  Also Aaron Long.

It seems to be mostly an Olympic level roster, with a lot of young guys and a few veterans sprinkled in.  Slonina, B. Vazquez, Alan Sonora are all getting looks.  Zendejas, who plays for Club America, has been called in and CA is releasing him for the Serbia game.  He's a dual national (as is Vazquez) who reportedly has said he wants to play for Mexico, but he's tied to the USA and hasn't yet filed a one time switch.

https://www.espn.com...or-january-camp

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Tolkin's been called into USMNT's January camp

Congrats to John & all the other first-time Nats!
I hope he gets to play, and that this is the start of a productive USMNT phase of his career.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Congrats to John & all the other first-time Nats!
I hope he gets to play, and that this is the start of a productive USMNT phase of his career.

Yeah! Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Tolkin has a similar play style to Jedi - obviously not at that level, but a similar endurance. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Reyes called up for Colombia... He might face Tolkin!?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

Yeah! Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Tolkin has a similar play style to Jedi - obviously not at that level, but a similar endurance. 

So that is not necessarily a bad thing.during the World Cup there was no suitable substitute to Jedi. If Tolkin can play that role or even, push Jedi and himself, then it is a win win for the US National Team. IDK about most folks but depending on Dest to be both the starting RB and backup LB is a recipe for failure.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I only watch him with the USMNT and not Fulham so take my opinion with a grain of salt too, but Jedi seems more attack-minded. Tolkin is like a stay-at-home fullback, he almost never gets the ball to the endline and doesn't do much with it when he does.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

I only watch him with the USMNT and not Fulham so take my opinion with a grain of salt too, but Jedi seems more attack-minded. Tolkin is like a stay-at-home fullback, he almost never gets the ball to the endline and doesn't do much with it when he does.

I would say Tolkin has a higher technical ceiling robinson is much more athletic but he cant cross to save his life. Tolkin can deliver a nice ball just dont think Struber could break his conservative shell enough to give him the freedom to push into a more advanced role

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Tolkin's shot total is in the 90th percentile and his shot-creating actions is 83rd, so he does contribute offensively.

https://fbref.com/en...524/John-Tolkin

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts
Tolkin is developing more in offense lets see what this season brings

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
Ya... I think Tolkin is a star to be honest. Excellent player on every sense. Contributes both ways significantly.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Tolkin's shot total is in the 90th percentile and his shot-creating actions is 83rd, so he does contribute offensively.

https://fbref.com/en...524/John-Tolkin

As always, fbref has a stat or two that tells you your eye test watching a guy for ~4,000 min is wrong lol.

I'm thinking back mostly to the 2021 season where Tolkin split time with Gutman. Gutman was constantly bombing up the sideline, getting to the endline, and putting balls into the box. You don't see much of that traditional wide play from Tolkin, which maybe skews my perception of his attacking involvement a bit.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I think tolkin is better than jedi but has not been given the opportunity to show it.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

As always, fbref has a stat or two that tells you your eye test watching a guy for ~4,000 min is wrong lol.

I'm thinking back mostly to the 2021 season where Tolkin split time with Gutman. Gutman was constantly bombing up the sideline, getting to the endline, and putting balls into the box. You don't see much of that traditional wide play from Tolkin, which maybe skews my perception of his attacking involvement a bit.

Why 2021 when entire 2022 ? Especially young player

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Why 2021 when entire 2022 ? Especially young player

I mentioned 2021 because Tolkin was interchanging minutes with Andrew Gutman, who was an absolute madman going forward, and by comparison that made Tolkin seem like a much more defensive player. Gutman's FBref page shows what I mean, compared to Tolkin he has a lot more offensive actions, especially in the opposing box.

So maybe its just the lingering comparison to Gutman, or maybe he contributes to the attack in ways that my brain isn't on the lookout for. When I think of an "attacking fullback" I think of guys who overlap wingers, take on defenders, get to the end line, and get in crosses. I don't recall much of that from Tolkin yet. Anytime I think of him joining the attack its by jumping a pass and starting the break himself, or catching a shot from the far corner when a cross straggles through.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
I don't think of Tolkin as a traditional left back who puts in crosses, but he is involved in our attack. He seems to operate as a central mid on the flank, and contributes a lot to our possession. He does also take long shots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users