91 replies to this topic

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

It's no lose for Struber. If he wins, he's a genius. If he loses, not his team.

Well he sure didnt look like a genius today. I wish his visa got delayed by a couple of weeks

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Well he sure didnt look like a genius today. I wish his visa got delayed by a couple of weeks

you really think Carnell gets a much different result

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
I like Carnell, think he did a great job. But lets not act like he wasnt a part of the Armas problem. He was an assistant for a terrible coach and part of his job was to help. Clearly didnt work out. Carnell brought stability as interim but I wasnt blow away by his lineups or strategy. New guy didnt do well today, but I doubt it makes a difference. Better strategy doesnt make Meara a better GK and stop that 3rd goal. Carnell starts Pendant just like Struber did and Pendant would suck either way. At some point, we need to stop acting like the coaches are making the difference. We ALL agree this team sucks. Didnt matter who coached. Lets fix this mess of a team and see what the new guy can do

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Probably not, Columbus is a better overall team than we are. But do I think Struber put the team in the best possible position to win today? No, not particularly.

The team looked disjointed on both sides of the ball in the diamond midfield compared to the more familiar formations under Carnell. Even with a win today, I'm not sure I'd ever be convinced that trying a brand new formation in an elimination game is ever a good idea. I think Struber's personnel and substitutions were a little bit questionable as well. Davis has never succeeded as a lone holding mid, Yearwood had to get yanked at half time, and attacking subs were 15 minutes too late imo.

Fingers crossed Struber can make it work with some roster upgrades and a full preseason. I have no reason to think he can't, I just don't think today was the day to start experimenting.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I got the feeling his roster selection today was based as much on evaluation as it was on winning the game.  He wanted to get a look at Clark, he wanted to see what Royer has left, he knew Tetteh wasn't coming back.   Not sure why Barlow got the nod ahead of White, or why he waited so long to bring in Kaku, but it did seem that winning the game was secondary.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Fire Struber! (Just want to get a jump on next season)

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

To be perfectly honest, I thought Struber would be an upgrade over Carnell. I was hoping he would start Kaku. I did not expect Yearwood, Davis, and Valot to play together. I was hoping for CCJ and one of these 3 inferior to CCJ guys play opposite CCJ as CDM. Stroud and White played well lately. I hoped he would start Clark, and he did, but the other choices are befuddling, Particularly 15 minutes for Kaku. Didnt expect them to come out clueless in the second half after he had a break to discuss tactics.

To answer your question, I dont know if Carnell does anything differently and wins. All I know is that I was hoping for a commonsense upgrade over Carnell, and we didnt get it. With 15 mins to Kaku felt More like we got Armas back instead.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

I got the feeling his roster selection today was based as much on evaluation as it was on winning the game.  He wanted to get a look at Clark, he wanted to see what Royer has left, he knew Tetteh wasn't coming back.   Not sure why Barlow got the nod ahead of White, or why he waited so long to bring in Kaku, but it did seem that winning the game was secondary.

Kayden Clark played extremely well, so I would not call him a genius for starting him. However, if you were to poll everybody on this board before the game, how many would choose Barlow over White for this game? How many would say that Kaku should get 15 minutes? Probably no one. And those are not tough decisions, its just basic common sense. Struber to put it quite simply miserably failed to make a first impression and looked like a total fool.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Kayden Clark played extremely well, so I would not call him a genius for starting him. However, if you were to poll everybody on this board before the game, how many would choose Barlow over White for this game? How many would say that Kaku should get 15 minutes? Probably no one. And those are not tough decisions, its just basic common sense. Struber to put it quite simply miserably failed to make a first impression and looked like a total fool.

Kaku is gone, hes barely started over the last 2 months due to intl duty, etc.

Is he the most creative player on the roster? Yes. Is he the most talented player on the roster? Probably. Does he fit this team anymore? Probably not

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Kaku is gone, hes barely started over the last 2 months due to intl duty, etc.

Is he the most creative player on the roster? Yes. Is he the most talented player on the roster? Probably. Does he fit this team anymore? Probably not

Well, we certainly didnt do too well without him in play-offs. not last year when he went out with injury, and not this year when the coach just decided not to play him . If Struber gets rid of him because hes good enough to make Paraguay national team and have international duty, we might be missing Armas after all...

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Thought the same thing and honestly that's disappointing. Probably makes sense for him in terms of building for the next year, but you can evaluate players on film and in training and not in the team's most important 90 minutes of the season. All hypothetical but Carnell maybe wins this game without the tinkering and team selection focus on the next season, and crazier things have happened than average teams lucking into a couple of positive results in a row and winning a tournament.

Anyway, spring 2021, please.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Well, we certainly didnt do too well without him in play-offs. not last year when he went out with injury, and not this year when the coach just decided not to play him . If Struber gets rid of him because hes good enough to make Paraguay national team and have international duty, we might be missing Armas after all...

Great players dont fit every system, its not an indictment on the player. Kaku was always intended to be sold on and that hasnt materialized. His resale value playing for this team is only going to continue to drop.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Supports:Metro

To be perfectly honest, I thought Struber would be an upgrade over Carnell. I was hoping he would start Kaku. I did not expect Yearwood, Davis, and Valot to play together. I was hoping for CCJ and one of these 3 inferior to CCJ guys play opposite CCJ as CDM. Stroud and White played well lately. I hoped he would start Clark, and he did, but the other choices are befuddling, Particularly 15 minutes for Kaku. Didnt expect them to come out clueless in the second half after he had a break to discuss tactics.

To answer your question, I dont know if Carnell does anything differently and wins. All I know is that I was hoping for a commonsense upgrade over Carnell, and we didnt get it. With 15 mins to Kaku felt More like we got Armas back instead.

kaku trained once and Struber has his 11 before even seeing kaku train think it was clear kaku was never going to start and doubt Carnell would have started him

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

kaku trained once and Struber has his 11 before even seeing kaku train think it was clear kaku was never going to start and doubt Carnell would have started him

yeah there was no way Kaku or Casseres were starting under these circumstances.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Kaku was really in as good a spot he could be where he didn't play too much for Paraguay where he wouldn't have fitness, but played 30 mins, so he is not rusty, and actually played extremely well. He is the best player on this team, he was back, played just enough for his NT, played well, then practiced. Bear in mind that team is way better than Red Bulls. That's worth 15 mins of PT in the most important game of the year? Even if Struber brought him in at halftime to replace Davis/Yearwood dreadful combo, I could understand. But 15 mins for your best guy? What's next, he will be saying on a presser that they made one more play than we did?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users