• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
Sounds like someone we'll take. When daddy doesnt give you any money you take what you can get

5 year plan

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

boyd was miles ahead of allen before his injury. allen is a prototypical MLS 1.0 forward.  i don't rate him at all. boyd is more athletic (speed and strength), and better instinct.  if we could get him on a permanent deal, it would be fantastic. however, i'd guess that Leizpig still rates him, so he will see some playing time with us and they can decide what to do with him after the year.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Ehhhh, most would say that Boyd has peaked, doesn't have any more upside. 

Maybe he's still a good MLS level striker? Maybe he could be a legendary player for us, but part of me would rather give the minutes to Allen or some young academy kid. 

Allen is 23, he needs a chance to play in the next level. If not in 2017, when?

Boyd has peaked at 25 but Allen has room to grow at 23?  I do not think that Boyd's inability to get much of a chance at Leipzig means he is not good or has nothing to offer.  Liepzig are after all the second best team in the Bundesliga.  They guys ahead of him there, Poulsen, Werner, and Selke are all among the very best young forwards in Europe.  Additionally Selke and Poulsen are tall strong forwards not dissimilar from Boyd.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Boyd has peaked at 25 but Allen has room to grow at 23?  I do not think that Boyd's inability to get much of a chance at Leipzig means he is not good or has nothing to offer.  Liepzig are after all the second best team in the Bundesliga.  They guys ahead of him there are very good.

Injuries dude! It's not that Boyd has reached his expiration date because of age. It's that most dont think he'll recover his form after these injuries. It's not a matter of getting first team minutes with Liepzig, he can't get\stay on the field for Liepzig II either (knee cyst?).

Point being, signing Boyd would be a roll of the dice and I think there's rolls that have better odds for us. 

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Every formation change has blown up on us because Sacha has a specific spot he fits best at.

Could we do a 4-1-2-1-2?

Robles and friends; McCarty; Felipe, Davis; Kljestan; BWP, Boyd

Swap McCarty and Felipe if you want.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

RBNY source tells me "highly, highly unlikely" Terrence Boyd comes to club on loan. #MLS

Well that sucks.

Both are good sources too so don't know what to think.   Pretty sure the Stewart Binks girl talks to one of the major guys (MDG, Curtis, Marsch) because she has had some news breaks regarding this team for the past year or so.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Injuries dude! It's not that Boyd has reached his expiration date because of age. It's that most dont think he'll recover his form after these injuries. It's not a matter of getting first team minutes with Liepzig, he can't get on the field for Liepzig II either. 

Point being, signing Boyd would be a roll of the dice and I think there's rolls that have better odds for us. 

I do not see why you think he can recover.  Before his injury he was scoring tons of goals.  When he returned from his injury, he came back into a great team with 3 forwards who were scoring tons of goals.  As such, he did not get much of a chance but when he did, he scored a good amount of goals for the reserve team.  I do not see much indication that he as peaked, just that he came into a team with a number of players ahead of him.  Allen is good, but Boyd was better than Allen is currently when he was 22/23.  Even if Boyd has peaked and is no better than he was then, he is still a better player than Allen.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

tynian16

tynian16

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

RBNY source confirms @TaylorTwellman report that Boyd interested, but has options he's evaluating. Cash would be key in deal for club. #MLS

She posted this just a few minutes later.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

RBNY source confirms @TaylorTwellman report that Boyd interested, but has options he's evaluating. Cash would be key in deal for club. #MLS

She posted this just a few minutes later.

Well, it's interesting.  I'm rooting for it to happen.  We need a long term option to replace BWP and Boyd could certainly be that.  Plus, Boyd could be a real weapon early on as well.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

I do not see why you think he can('t*) recover.  

It's not that I don't think it's possible. It's just a risk I'm not sure we should take considering MLS salary restrictions and the limited minutes we have to offer our young players. Boyd could come back and be the UMSNT starting keeper down the road, but he also might get another knock to his knee and sit out another year or several months or just retire. 

How much of our salary cap do we want to spend on a backup striker who may or may not ever see the field for us? 

Allen is just a placeholder for the argument. If it's not Allen, it's some other player who has better odds of being a consistent starter. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Could we do a 4-1-2-1-2?

I think we could at times to be honest.  We used the 4-1-3-2 late last year and it's the first time things didn't look completely lost.   Puts a lot on Dax and the two CB's but they are paid well.   Throw in the fact that Royer, Muyl, and Sacha are so defensively responsible, that formation could work.  Especially in situations where we need a goal.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Could we do a 4-1-2-1-2?

Some people are unhappy with the level of play from our wingers, but solving that by playing without any seems a bit radical.  :) That lineup leaves out Veron and Royer who are our 5th and 6th-highest paid players and probably #2 and #3 creative options.

As an option to have, sure. I'd probably prefer a more attacking-minded 4132, especially at home.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Ehhhh, most would say that Boyd has peaked, doesn't have any more upside. 

Maybe he's still a good MLS level striker? Maybe he could be a legendary player for us, but part of me would rather give the minutes to Allen or some young academy kid. 

Allen is 23, he needs a chance to play in the next level. If not in 2017, when?

I'm all for giving minutes to RB2 guys, but if Boyd can get back to where he was before his injury, he should be an incredible MLS striker. Against going out and getting someone like Magee, that won't start and is not the future. Boyd has the potential to do either.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

As an option to have, sure. I'd probably prefer a more attacking-minded 4132, especially at home.

I've always been surprised that we don't see this formation more often, especially since d-mid is typically one of the stronger positions across the league.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

I'm all for giving minutes to RB2 guys, but if Boyd can get back to where he was before his injury, he should be an incredible MLS striker. Against going out and getting someone like Magee, that won't start and is not the future. Boyd has the potential to do either.

Yeah but... why is Magee even in the conversation?

Boyd is an unknown. The only games he's played in 2 years are with Liepzig's reserve team in the 4th division. How much cap room does he take up? Is that the best use of our limited minutes at striker? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users