604 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Wouldn't that problem be alleviated if lower division teams were guaranteed to host?

I'd like to see that rule change (like in the German Cup) coupled with a loosening of the geographic limits.

In other leagues, the lower teams will often forfeit their right to host, in exchange for a share of the gate at the bigger club's stadium.   Unfortunately, we get such poor turnout that there's no benefit here for the smaller clubs to do the same.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
I do not think that MLS wants or needs to get pushed on the USOC structure. Original NASL did not participate. MLS clubs did not have to, at first. IMO, the league tolerates USOC as a secondary competition, much as it does the Supporters Shield. Each has some usefulness as a gateway to the Champions League. MLS prefers its own Cup to be pre-eminent. Some clubs see USOC as a great source for trophies. It has grown in stature. As long as the USOC does not interfere with the MLSFO vision, we are all good.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

In other leagues, the lower teams will often forfeit their right to host, in exchange for a share of the gate at the bigger club's stadium.   Unfortunately, we get such poor turnout that there's no benefit here for the smaller clubs to do the same.

Well, there are the huge windfalls from US Open Cup TV rights... oh, never mind

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Chicago was the 1st MLS team to win 4 USOCs. Seattle was 2nd. Now SKC is 3rd. DC is only team that has 3, last won in 2013. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Chicago was the 1st MLS team to win 4 USOCs. Seattle was 2nd. Now SKC is 3rd. DC is only team that has 3, last won in 2013. 

So that is 15 of the last 22 by four MLS clubs.
I think we know who values the competition.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

So that is 15 of the last 22 by four MLS clubs.
I think we know who values the competition.

Very interesting.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Very interesting.

https://en.m.wikiped...h_multiple_wins
LAGalaxy & Dallas have each won twice, as well. Non-MLS Rochester won once, so the rest of MLS have 2. The lone Crew & Revs wins prevented Dallas & LAG from having 3.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Snoozefest playing these guys again

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Snoozefest playing these guys again

Would you honestly rather have the draw be totally random and we play Houston or Colorado???
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Would you honestly rather have the draw be totally random and we play Houston or Colorado???

I mean honestly? Without a doubt. Playing Philly/NYC/New Englands B team every single year gets repetitive as hell. Leave the regionalism for the playoffs.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Yeah kinda

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Yeah kinda

The attendance for the game vs 914 United vs the attendance the last time we played Colorado in Open Cup play will suggest you are in a tiny minority. And people are understating the travel issue. Would you rather we played in say Chicago on a Saturday and then had to fly out to Seattle on Wednesday for a Cup tie?
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos

Didn't see this posted, though it jibes with what you all have been saying regarding travel for the smaller clubs participating in the Open Cup: https://www.theguard...s-smaller-clubs

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The attendance for the game vs 914 United vs the attendance the last time we played Colorado in Open Cup play will suggest you are in a tiny minority. And people are understating the travel issue. Would you rather we played in say Chicago on a Saturday and then had to fly out to Seattle on Wednesday for a Cup tie?

No bully. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

https://www.theguard...s-smaller-clubs

$15K travel costs are devastating to small amateur or semi-pro clubs. Linked article within says USSF has >$100M in the bank, possibly wants to blow that on a National Soccer Center.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users