Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

Hope this gets done.

Luq , Morgan and DV behind Burke or even those three as a three with a solid mid and def which all we need is one CB could be a tough mls team.

I would love a team like that. Only concern would be CB its the lost of Long but Im hoping that we have something figured out at least by the end of the summer window.

LONG LIVE METRO

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I would love a team like that. Only concern would be CB its the lost of Long but Im hoping that we have something figured out at least by the end of the summer window.

Yeah big question remains. Sure getting Vanzeir to compensate for the ineffectiveness of Kl*m*l* should help a ton, I'd guess offloading one of the experienced CMs within MLS for a competent CB remains as one of the highest needs. At least getting Vanzeir, the goalscoring issues should be considerably less, also it seems he's a very direct kind of player, which may be more suitable to Struber's style of attack. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Waiting for midseason to sign a CB would be a mistake. We're a Reyes call-up or injury (and an injury is coming) from starting Dylan Nealis.

Reminds me of 2016, when it was obvious in the offseason we needed a CB. They waited, waited, waited... and started the season so shitty. Thankfully, Collin fell on their lap. Good luck with that strategy.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Waiting for midseason to sign a CB would be a mistake. We're a Reyes call-up or injury (and an injury is coming) from starting Dylan Nealis.

Reminds me of 2016, when it was obvious in the offseason we needed a CB. They waited, waited, waited... and started the season so shitty. Thankfully, Collin fell on their lap. Good luck with that strategy.

i'm not going to punish Jochen for the sins of past sporting directors.  With Leagues Cup teams have an artificial summer break that should make integrating summer signings easier.  Trying to coach someone up to be your 3rd CB is a gamble i dont mind taking to have the attacking and CM depth currently on the roster

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
If the roster pages are accurate Dru is no longer a u22 player or international, so they could get a CB that fits those requirements.

Unless you are signing a clear upgrade on either of the current starters I think it would be difficult to convince a prime age player to come here, if they are even interested in doing so.

I think it has to be a young guy or a vet content at potentially being 3rd choice.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

i'm not going to punish Jochen for the sins of past sporting directors.  With Leagues Cup teams have an artificial summer break that should make integrating summer signings easier.  Trying to coach someone up to be your 3rd CB is a gamble i dont mind taking to have the attacking and CM depth currently on the roster

Not punishing Jochen yet, just seeing a similar situation. To me, CB is the biggest priority after forward. I don't want to be here in the summer pining for a magical savior yet again.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Not punishing Jochen yet, just seeing a similar situation. To me, CB is the biggest priority after forward. I don't want to be here in the summer pining for a magical savior yet again.

Only reason why you would not sign a new CB is if they expect S.Nealis, Reyes, Ndam, D.Nealis and Nocita to be better/competent.  They like to throw their guys into water to see if they can sink or swim. i agree that CB is a bigger priority because we can compete if we cant stop the other team from scoring. 

Personally, i think we need at least one accomplished veteran. I think S.Nealis needs help covering ground or learn how to better position himself on the defensive end. Reyes can't stay on the field (injured or cards), D.Nealis gets bullied out there and looks out of place and Ndam + Nocita are unknowns at the MLS level. 

As of right now, it appears they are expecting a lot from S.Nealis. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

if this gets done...no more excuses for Struber in terms of building a more reliable attack here.  embarrassment of riches depth wise for a coach thats supposed to be good at development.  only weaker group is CB but he has shown ability to coach guys up there with a full preseason

Defense is a huge question mark

bkizoulis

bkizoulis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts
I think they still go for a cb. Maybe they use some of their CM depth to make a trade for CB.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
Yeah, that's good news. Things progressing. Assuming Vanzeir is a good player, out biggest potential weakness could be at CB. We have an excellent left back and a pretty good right back so I'm hopeful there. Plus Struber has gotten CBs to play above their head.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Yeah, that's good news. Things progressing. Assuming Vanzeir is a good player, out biggest potential weakness could be at CB. We have an excellent left back and a pretty good right back so I'm hopeful there. Plus Struber has gotten CBs to play above their head.

Struber once squeezed a stretch of great defensive results with a CB pairing of Tom Edwards and Amro Tarek. If there's one thing I trust Struber to do it's take basically any scrap of players and turn them into an organized defense.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Struber once squeezed a stretch of great defensive results with a CB pairing of Tom Edwards and Amro Tarek. If there's one thing I trust Struber to do it's take basically any scrap of players and turn them into an organized defense.

This

And its what a good sporting director is supposed to do. Focus resources on areas your coach needs more refined talent at. I have zero worry about our defense right now

If things get really bad we can trade a CM or a winger for a solid CB (I.e. omir, Amaya, etc.) but prefer the extra numbers in cm and attack

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
I think you can role with the 4 primary cb we have plus a Dylan Nealis until summer window or closer to primary window closing in may. Unless they really dont like what they see in preseason I would wait

bkizoulis

bkizoulis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Maybe they could trade one of their CM for a CB.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Maybe they could trade one of their CM for a CB.

If shopping within MLS, send Amaya to a slower paced team for any competent backup CB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users