2016: with Austrian Austerity, who gets a raise?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

beefyT

beefyT

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Supports:Taco Tuesday

We have too many players playing way above the bargain contracts that they're currently on.   

Miazga, Grella, Lawrence, Sam, Robles, etc.  

What's the plan out of Austria?  Will these guys get new contracts - reflecting their value, or are they destined to be replaced by another round of $60k players?

mkbloodyen

mkbloodyen

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Supports:Metro SC

As long as they don't become DPs, there's really no reason for Austria to care.

That being said, I see Miazga and Taxi being offered new contracts. Sam just signed one. Robles and Grella I think (possibly controversially) are fine - might only get slight raises.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

If Grella is indeed on a 1 year deal, he is not gonna play for 60k again next year. I would be comfortable doubling that. He could probably be a 12 goal guy somewhere as a target striker I bet, and get more.

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Also keep in mind that some guys will be gone. Like, Roy Miller & Hamstring Zubar leave, and you can double Miazga and Grella, with lots of money left over. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Miazga and Lawrence are the only ones who I think need considerables bumps to keep here. Grella's a career journeyman who is inexplicably having his breakout season at the age of 28, Sam will be 31 next season and unlikely to have English teams lining up for his services, and serviceable keepers are too common in MLS for Robles to make any serious demands.

mkbloodyen

mkbloodyen

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

I'd be surprised if Zubar's deal was only for a single year.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

you could bump up grella to 85k-100k 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'd be surprised if Zubar's deal was only for a single year.

Not all that common that players sign a one year contract in a new league. But even if its a longer deal, if he continues to struggle with what seems like every muscle in his legs we could always use our one "get out of contract free" card. Assuming of course that's still a thing with the new CBA.

BillFromAstoria

BillFromAstoria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Liverpool, US, SUNY Purchase

Taxi can and should make a jump to a big league (and a bigger salary) in January if he wants to.

And frankly, I wouldn't begrudge him. New York is just going to be a stop on a long, fantastic career for him. 

METRO T-SHIRTS!

1996NY.com

Even the losers get lucky sometimes.

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Grella's a career journeyman who is inexplicably having his breakout season at the age of 28

You could say inexplicably, or you could also say he's in the right environment with the right supporting cast of players, and a coach playing him in a position suitable to his strengths.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
  • Supports:Metros

You could say inexplicably, or you could also say he's in the right environment with the right supporting cast of players, and a coach playing him in a position suitable to his strengths.

Well said.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Taxi can and should make a jump to a big league (and a bigger salary) in January if he wants to.

And frankly, I wouldn't begrudge him. New York is just going to be a stop on a long, fantastic career for him. 

Pretty much. He was the best defender in the entire Gold Cup tournament. I fully expect him to make the jump to England... probably an EPL team.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
Can we get a transfer fee out of Taxi at least?

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
I though mls standard contact is semi guaranteed and for 3 years.

Based on that, Sam and robles might be up at the end of the year. Taxi and Grella are prob stuck with current contract.

I think miazga still has 1 more year.

mkbloodyen

mkbloodyen

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Sam signed a new one at the beginning of the year - he's not up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users