2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:16 PM

I can no longer find the old "Beer" thread. Boo.
Posted Image

Attn: PhishyBrewer
On Beer in Japan...and your planned trip to Hokkaido and Tokyo, check this out.
NY Times "Rise of Specialty Brewing in Japan"

I missed the beginning of the Microbrewery era in Japan, and I'm a little upset about it. Japanese have an incredible sense of freshness, of quality, of technique, and enjoyment & appreciation of beer. These microbrews could be really really good. I can't wait to get there again someday to drink the living shit out of them.

Tangent:
I once found a place in downtown Tokyo where you could pay 3500 yen for an all you can drink Nihon-shu tasting, which American's call "saw-kee" (Sake). I remember going and paying and tasting a few, then I remember being at a disco, then I remember paying $190 for a taxi ride home and a massive 2 day hangover. Regret is a word that comes to mind.

Second Tangent:
Nihon-shu is usually referred to as a rice wine, but it isn't. It is a brewed (heated to a boil at some point) rice drink, therefore it is more like a beer than a wine (which is fermented without heat). Anyway, Nihon-shu brewing is labor intensive and the techniques have been passed down orally like grandma's recipe from grandpa to son. Those sons were born before the war, and were raised during the occupation lucky to be alive, and took great pride and pleasure in the drink they create. The younger generation isn't willing to work a hard job for relative low pay in an unglamourous job like drink making, so the cast of brewers is rapidly declining. At the same time, the brewing of sake is becoming more and more automated, so the fine flavors the old men of the occupation era created are getting ground down to the lowest common denominator. The old men of the occupation era are dying off, and no one is replacing them.

Conclusion:
The point is TODAY is the point in time where you can find the most variety of flavor and quality in Nihon-shu than at any other time in history.

GO DRINK SOME HAND MADE SAKE NOW. The good stuff is pretty expensive and the bad stuff (Ozeki, i'm talking to you) is like Boon's Farm/Thunderbird. It'll never be as good as it is RIGHT NOW.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#2 PhishyBrewer

PhishyBrewer

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

Ahh... beer and Japan. Two of my favorite things. Unfortunately for me the only day I was going to go beer/bar hoping was on a Sunday. When most places likes craft breweries and pubs were closed. Didn't stop me from going to the 7-11 at the corner of our hotel for a pint.

The next trip I'm all about hitting up Popeye's Beer Club in Ryogoku. It was just east of our hotel. About 2 stops past Akihabara. From the looks of it, this place had some bad ass beer and bar food.

Here are a few photos.
WTF!?
Posted Image
Kirin Grand Ale
Posted Image
A tasty Pils at DisneySea
Posted Image
I can get this shit at home. Why waste my time... and my Yen?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Asahi Draft MESSED ME UP. It's nothing like the Asahi we get here in the states.
Posted Image
Suntory has some very flavorful lagers.
Posted Image

#3 PhishyBrewer

PhishyBrewer

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

Hey Buck, If your looking for a good place to watch a match and get a good pint while your in Sacto, may I suggest Streets of London on J St in downtown.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Yeah... it's Beamish draft. Not that wussie ass shit people drink called Guinness.
Posted Image
They've got darts too.
Posted Image
The decor is warm.
Posted Image
They've actually got some English dude in the back that makes this shit. Alright they don't, but it still taste pretty good.
Posted Image

#4 jamesey

jamesey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

If someone can find me some Delirium Tremens memorbilia, I will love you forever.

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

#5 PhishyBrewer

PhishyBrewer

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

If someone can find me some Delirium Tremens memorbilia, I will love you forever.

I have a navy hat with the pink elephant on it. Had some coasters, but used them up. Sorry.

EDIT:

It's slightly worn. If you want it I'll just charge you shipping.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 LuvKeane

LuvKeane

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts
  • Interests:ROY KEANE AND FOOTBALL!!! Musical theatre (Non-Sondheim!)
  • Supports:Broadway & Prawn Sandwich Brigade

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:06 PM

I have a picture of a bottle I had when I was in DC and that place with 100s of beer!
WEST END = PRE-BROADWAY TRY-OUTS

#7 haggis

haggis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Cheebs, Kebabs, Curry Sauce, all things Axl Huckleberry and my anxiety-ridden beagle, and my wife who is my life (not necessarily in that order)<br /><br />But, he's a good beagle!
  • Supports:Galaxy, Rangers, and Good Beer!

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:16 PM

E-Bay has a few items up for bid.

http://search.ebay.c...s...op=1&fsoo=1

Also, try here:

Stuffed Sandwich
1145 E Las Tunas Dr
San Gabriel, CA 91776
Phone: (626) 285-9161
Judas: "We welcomed you with open arms, but will be seeing you off with the 2 finger salute!"

BMAB: Drunkenese for By Me Another Beer!
"For fear that one drink will be lonesome, take another to keep it company, and another to keep the peace between them." -Anonymous

Hey, Kool Aid!

For the love of beer, it was a pretzel!

#8 PhishyBrewer

PhishyBrewer

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

The Theme Park Review Beer Thread is one I started years ago. It's basically a post what you drank thread. It's gotten pretty big.

On that note... A Grolsch berfore I head to bed(I work midnights).
Posted Image
There's Popeye's Beer Club
Posted Image

Yeah... I take a lot of stupid pictures.

Can you tell I like beer? Brewing it isn't as much fun as drinking it though.
Posted Image

#9 haggis

haggis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Cheebs, Kebabs, Curry Sauce, all things Axl Huckleberry and my anxiety-ridden beagle, and my wife who is my life (not necessarily in that order)<br /><br />But, he's a good beagle!

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:50 PM

I can no longer find the old "Beer" thread. Boo.

That's because you are off trail. D'OH!

LARSEventsandTripspg.5
Judas: "We welcomed you with open arms, but will be seeing you off with the 2 finger salute!"

"For fear that one drink will be lonesome, take another to keep it company, and another to keep the peace between them." -Anonymous

Hey, Kool Aid!

#10 rokstedy

rokstedy

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy & USA

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:42 PM

Pop quiz, hotshot.

Beer Church's Basic Beer Quiz

Beer Church's Advanced Beer Quiz

Another beer quiz

Chilliman Store's Beer Label Quiz
"Last month I was in the Canary Islands, and I met up with Armada Sur, the supporters group for CD Tenerife. When the subject of MLS comes up one of the first things they ask me about is if I've heard of the Riot Squad and they mention that one of them has a LARS shirt, and describes the gask mask guy logo.

Halfway around the world and I can't get away from you guys?!?!"

Jasonma, from your other favorite message board, BigSoccer, which has become BigStupid

GOATS NEVER, GALAXY FOREVER!

#11 haggis

haggis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

Ooooooooooooooooooo, Jamsesy's in LOVE! HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!

I have a picture of a bottle I had when I was in DC and that place with 100s of beer!

Hey, Kool Aid!

#12 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:08 AM

Hey Buck, If your looking for a good place to watch a match and get a good pint while your in Sacto, may I suggest Streets of London on J St in downtown.

Nicely Phishy. I believe my sis has mentioned the place. Have to give it a try over Xmas.

That's because you are off trail. D'OH!
LARSEventsandTripspg.5

Fuck that old thread! It's time we got away from it's tyranny anyway!!
(I swear I looked for it for 30 minutes...I suck.)

New article on Beer, this time
The Power in the Cask: Old Ways, New Beer
...about the use of traditional casks for hand made brews rather than metal kegs.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#13 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

The Power in the Cask: Old Ways, New Beer
...about the use of traditional casks for hand made brews rather than metal kegs.

I've had Cask Ale a number of times in England. They're good, but it's more nostalgia than it is taste.

Is there anywhere in LA that has it?

#14 haggis

haggis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

I've had Cask Ale a number of times in England. They're good, but it's more nostalgia than it is taste.

Is there anywhere in LA that has it?

Totally disagree with you there.

Cask Condition Ales are the real thing. More complex tastes and natural carbonation.
They used to be pretty hard to find here in the States but more brewpubs/pubs are carrying them now a days.

I'm not a fan of the beers of BJ's, but usually they have a cask condition ale once a month and these are pretty good.

Back Street Brewery in Irvine has one on once a month as well.

Pizza Port Brewery has a Real Ale Festival at least once a year. Great Stuff there.

The only bad thing about Cask Condition Ales is they are very popular and don't last too long. :cheers:

Hey, Kool Aid!

#15 PhishyBrewer

PhishyBrewer

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:12 PM

I'm not a fan of the beers of BJ's, but usually they have a cask condition ale once a month and these are pretty good.

BJ's beer sucks! The only reason to visit is for the pizza and MAYBE a bottle Belgian ale.

Stone had some bad ass cask conditioned ales at the 10th anniversary party. So good I can't remember a God damn thing I drank while I was there. :pint:

I have to get back there and get my fill on some Victory brews.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users