DirtyDefender

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:52 AM

Charlotte Police Department seeks bilingual officers

That's an odd shift. When I was in college, there were a number of kids here in the Charlotte area who were responding to local ads from the LAPD, NYPD and Chicago PD because they couldn't get a job here locally.

If you're bilingual, and want to go into law enforcement, you might want to look at other US cities.

#33 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:45 AM

Charlotte Police Department seeks bilingual officers

That's an odd shift. When I was in college, there were a number of kids here in the Charlotte area who were responding to local ads from the LAPD, NYPD and Chicago PD because they couldn't get a job here locally.

If you're bilingual, and want to go into law enforcement, you might want to look at other US cities.

These officers will be the avant garde of La Reconquista

And while I'm at it...

Anybody want to hire a nice, smart college kid for two months? BonesJr hits the ground at LAX tonight.

He's open to whatever. PM if you have any leads or offers.

#34 Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:37 PM

Speaking of certifications...

What certifications does everyone think are really worthwhile?

My brother in law has a few Microsoft certifications, but since he has no prior work experience, he still can't get a job. I don't know if he's just not trying very hard, or that certifications just don't mean much. I do know that there are plenty of computer jobs here in Charlotte, and that if he was really qualified and really trying, he'd be able to find something.

Personally, I'm a certified Project Management Professional (PMP), which on the West coast, was definitely worth it, but no one really seems to give a shit about it here, and I'm debating whether or not I should bother with the trouble and expense of staying certified.

Interesting comment about the PMP. I take the PMP exam on June 3rd. I'm also a CSM (certified Scrum Master) which amounts to not much given the exam is a joke. The PMP seems to be growing in stature out here as it keeps popping up on tons of job descriptions. My company is now adding PMP to the preferred requirements for project mgrs. I'm actually getting the PMP to make myself that much more marketable to get the fuck out of SoCal.

#35 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:37 PM

Interesting comment about the PMP. I take the PMP exam on June 3rd. I'm also a CSM (certified Scrum Master) which amounts to not much given the exam is a joke. The PMP seems to be growing in stature out here as it keeps popping up on tons of job descriptions. My company is now adding PMP to the preferred requirements for project mgrs. I'm actually getting the PMP to make myself that much more marketable to get the fuck out of SoCal.

it's not obvious why the fuck you'd want to get the fuck out of SoCal

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#36 Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

it's not obvious why the fuck you'd want to get the fuck out of SoCal

Really? Too many people, California is one or two misguided decisions from falling off the map economically, housing prices suck, schools suck, roads suck. Are those items not obvious?

I'm not interested in paying a premium to live here anymore.

#37 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:55 PM

Really? Too many people, California is one or two misguided decisions from falling off the map economically, housing prices suck, schools suck, roads suck. Are those items not obvious?

I thought it was all of the Hispanics. <_<

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Twitter: BigTony_42

#38 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:14 AM

so.... you're saying it's obviously the hispanics... i get it

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#39 ramsessalmeron

ramsessalmeron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

Don't Let our agricultural check points hit you in the ass on your way out!

#40 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:36 AM

I can understand wanting to move out of state, but why hate on Hispanics?

#41 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

The PMP certification is done by Project Management International (PMI), which was borne out of the Aerospace Industry and is supposedly Industry agnostic.

The Aerospace Industry in the US is almost entirely on the West Coast, which is why I think it was readily adopted by IT departments there first.

I've only done job searches in LA and Charlotte, so I don't really know for sure, but it seems to me that on the West Coast, having a PMP is more likely to be mandatory, and on the East Coast, it's more of a nice to have.

Either way - I can definitely say that it helped me 6 years ago in LA, but now that I'm on the East coast, I've been wondering if I should bother with the training and fees to keep it maintained.

#42 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

For the record, this is not one of my aliases.

#43 Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

Yes, because I said there's too many people it means I hate Mexicans. I mean let's be honest, why call them Hispanics when we know everyone of them is Mexican. Therefore, I hate Mexicans...

What I really love is knowing that to get oh let's say, to a Galaxy game on a Saturday evening, the 50 mile journey could take 45 minutes or three hours. I hit traffic at times and places where there shouldn't be traffic. Too many people, white, brown, yellow, black and shit roads, both quantity and quality.

Any way you look at it, we pay a huge premium to live in SoCal, whether it be actual cost (taxes, houses, fees, utilities and the like) or implied costs (time, health and so on). I'm not interested in paying that premium anymore so getting back to my original post, I'm getting my PMP in part so I can get the fuck out of SoCal.

It's simply my personal view on the area and the fact that I'm no urbanite.

#44 LASamurai

LASamurai

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:LA GALAXY - LA RIOTSQUAD - MLS - USMNT - AO - J-League -Samurai Blue - Nagoya Grampus - Shimizu S-Pulse - La Liga - UEFA - MAN UTD
  • Supports:LA GALAXY

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

Anyone have experience as a shipping clerk? My company is moving from seattle to L.A. this week, and we need someone experienced. Position is salaried and offers full benefits. Position is at la brea amd melrose, near pinks hotdogs.

IM me your email address.

I'm so fed up looking for work as a Desktop Support Engineer I'd be open to doing something else. I live in Hollywood and need work fast.
Louis

#45 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy dickheads! Arsenal

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:50 PM

It's simply my personal view on the area and the fact that I'm no urbanite.

The good thing is you moving helps solve two problems. Your disgust with there being too many people here and there being too many people here.

Help us Cap'n Obvious. You're our only hope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users