jamesey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

Posted Image

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

#32 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:01 AM

Saw a guy in a G's polo/shirt at the LA Fitness on S. Lake tonight. Don't think it was any of yous guys? Was it?

Let's Eat!

#33 31Charlie

31Charlie

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Supports:L.A. Galaxy

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Ok honestly, how do you guys have time to work out so much? Between work and commute I have about three hours a day of free time when I get home, Id rather not spend half of that driving to the gym, working out, then driving home. I do try to run about 3 times a week around my neighborhood, and I used to do some pushups afterwards but I stopped when I sprained my wrist pretty badly.

When I run I do about 2 miles at a time. I ran a 5k (by myself) on Monday though. I ran 8 miles a few Saturdays ago. That was the farthest I have ever ran in one go. Wasn't moving very fast though.

I am one of those skinny-fat people. I have chicken arms and legs, but a nice big pot-belly. Too much alcohol and fast food. At least once a year I give up soda for a few months and will drop 10 pounds even if I am not working out. That stuff is so bad for you. But I am weak and I always go back to it. Its also so addictive.

I might try that 5x5. Ill keep you updated.

#34 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Saw a guy in a G's polo/shirt at the LA Fitness on S. Lake tonight. Don't think it was any of yous guys? Was it?

I go to LA Fitness on south lake, but that wasn't me. when do you usually go?

Posted Image

#35 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

I was just on that machine. I don't really have a set schedule for going to that particular location. I work out with two other buddies and we alternate locations depending on work schedules. Lake, Downey, and Long Beach are the locations I frequent. Late workouts for me; 9pm and on.

Let's Eat!

#36 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

I was just on that machine. I don't really have a set schedule for going to that particular location. I work out with two other buddies and we alternate locations depending on work schedules. Lake, Downey, and Long Beach are the locations I frequent. Late workouts for me; 9pm and on.

oh cool. I live a couple blocks away and usually go from 7:00-8:00. if you ever need a lifting partner, hit me up. mine is moving to kuwait next month.

#37 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Anyone have experience with HITT - High Intensity Training?

It's essentially short, high to maximum intensity interval training.

Two protocols I've seen are 6 x 30seconds @ 100% intensity, with 4.5 minutes recovery or 10 x 30 seconds @ 90% with 90 second recovery.

It's not sport specific, meaning you wouldn't do this is as your primary training to get ready for soccer or basketball, but it looks promising for general fitness

#38 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

oh cool. I live a couple blocks away and usually go from 7:00-8:00. if you ever need a lifting partner, hit me up. mine is moving to kuwait next month.

Definitely.

Let's Eat!

#39 romero03

romero03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts
  • Supports:USMNT

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Anyone have experience with HITT - High Intensity Training?

It's essentially short, high to maximum intensity interval training.

Two protocols I've seen are 6 x 30seconds @ 100% intensity, with 4.5 minutes recovery or 10 x 30 seconds @ 90% with 90 second recovery.

It's not sport specific, meaning you wouldn't do this is as your primary training to get ready for soccer or basketball, but it looks promising for general fitness

Coach Bones, should I substitute this method for the hour of running I normally do? I feel my hour of running is too long and my hour of weights is too short.
Twitter

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders, Galaxy, LA Kings, ASU, Notre Dame(football)

#40 mastashake714

mastashake714

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:futball <br />FIFA
  • Supports: LA Galaxy bitch

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

I go to LA Fitness on south lake, but that wasn't me. when do you usually go?

Posted Image

Thats hot you should have got her number dude

#41 31Charlie

31Charlie

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

5 x 5

How much does it cost. It claims to be free, but it seems like one of those things that is free to start but cost money once they hook you in.

#42 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Coach Bones, should I substitute this method for the hour of running I normally do? I feel my hour of running is too long and my hour of weights is too short.

Sometimes i'll crank the treadmill incline up to 15 and at 4mph and just do that instead of running. It burns pretty good. I love it.
Great way to conclude the session
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#43 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Yes. And no.

Yes, as in this could be a good addition to your program, and no as a complete substitute. But it also depends on what you like doing and what kind of lifting your doing. And what you want to do.

If your goal is general fitness, some people have success doing heavy, multi-joint free weight workouts three days a week and three days of interval training - HITT being one example of that. And interval training can be running, treadmill, eliptical, whatever, it just needs to be pretty hard. My question about HITT was the particular mix of work/rest. If that's the case, you can probably do weights 3x1 hour a week and intervals 3x30 minutes a week and be fine.

But if you like running, and you seem that you do, I'd suggest that you continue running, but focus on running faster. From what I've seen you post about here and on your FB, it would seem that you're running relatively slowly - 9-10 minute pace. What I'd suggest is that focus, for awhile, on getting your basic pace down to around 8:00-8:30 a mile.

Why? This is from my experience with beginning XC runners, but basically 1) It's more fun to run faster 2) You'll get hurt less, because you're landing with less shock and more efficiently 3) You'll get more training value for your time. Here four steps to get you there, and something I'd suggest for other runners as well.

Step 1: Start by running as long as you can at 8:30 pace (get a GPS watch, or run on a track, or some sort of marked loop or path), and then walk for 20% of the time you just ran. Then do it again, and again, up to 30 minutes of activity. Stay on this until you can run 30 minutes at 8:30 pace.

Step 2: Once you've reached 30 minutes at that pace, start adding faster strides - 4 x 100m at 20 seconds or so, with about 30-45 seconds in between, at the end of your runs. These strides will make you a better runner (remember that running is a skill), and they will make your stronger in a way that is specific to running, and this will make your stride more efficient and again, you'll be less likely to get hurt. And, running fast is fun.

Step 3: Once you can handle 30 minutes + 4 strides, work towards extending one of the runs to an hour, still at 8:00-8:30 pace. There are important metabolic training effects that happen after 45-50 minutes of continuous activity. Take at least six weeks to get there. While your getting there, one of the other two runs should get up to around 40 minutes and keep the other at 30, and continue with the strides after the two shorter runs.

Step 4: The next step is to make the 30 minute day harder. Do this by doing repeats at a pace 1 minute per mile faster than your regular pace. So if you're on 8:30 pace, do 4 x mile, or 4x1200m (3 laps) or better, 5 minutes at 7:30 pace. The rest interval is 20% of the time of the rep - so 90 seconds for a mile at 7:30 pace, or one minute if you're doing reps of five minutes. This what's called lactate threshold or tempo running in the business - it's an important part of aerobic development.

At the end, your week would end up looking like this

Monday: Weights (cf. my earlier post)
Tuesday: 4x 5 minutes @ 7:00-7:30 pace, 1 minute recoveries + 4 x 100m fast strides
Wednesday: Weights
Thursday: 40 minutes @ 8:00-8:30 + 4 x 100m fast strides
Friday: Weights
Saturday: 60 minutes @ 8:00-8:30 pace
Sunday: nuthin'

#44 31Charlie

31Charlie

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

I ran 5k on Monday in 28:52 with about a 9:00 pace. Did it again yesterday and dropped down to about a 8:20 pace getting done in 25:52. Id be happy if I can get it down in to the 20 minute mark.

#45 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Good stuff Coach Bones.

Made me realize how lazy I've become over the years with my pace.

Just for clarification and understanding purposes on my part, that 8:30 pace is a mile per minute?

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users