• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Pizza and Boyzzzz! And Galaxy! And BEER!
  • Supports:no one...they support me!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Never liked the idea of trading Ricketts. I respect all that Saunders has done for the G's, but I always thought there was a drop off in quality from Ricketts to Saunders.
Again, a keeper is highly dependent upon the defense in front of him and whoever is behind the current G's defense will struggle...

Yup.

Defense in shambles.

Zero creativity in the attacking third.

No leadership.

No heart (as Cat pointed out).

The game plan looks stale and when it doesn't work out, the team automatically resorts to the default "hopeful long ball."

There is almost no desire to counter attack or switch the point of attack in transition.

Shit is real ugly right now...

I didn't like Ricketts leaving but I understood the business necessity of it. Were we in a league that didn't have a have a salary cap or rules regarding fx players or any of the other b.s. that euro leagues don't have to deal with, I'm sure we'd have kept them all.

That being said, we have what we have...

As far as defensive woes, I think they are pretty much solved as far as the backline goes. (POST RANT EDIT: There have been some shitty goals allowed by the defense, but they have looked much better than they did in week 1 is all I'm saying...) The break downs we've had over the last few game have all come from the midfield. OUR MIDFIELD SUCKS!!!!! They aren't dropping back to defend in time, they aren't creating any offense, and they aren't playing with any heart.

Maybe this is why Bex shouldn't ever stick around after winning his championships...

But no, fuck that nonesense! I blame LANDON!!! Landon needs to be the leader on this side. He was the one that gave the PK to Robbie. He is the one that I've not heard a peep from during this funk. Where is the Captain? I know we are all in love and up the guy's butt, but LD is a million dollar non perferformer on our roster as well.
STEVE SAMPSON; STILL THE GREATEST COACH OF THE LA GALAXY. EVER. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT. NUF SAID. JAJAJA!

#77 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

As far as defensive woes, I think they are pretty much solved as far as the backline goes. The break downs we've had over the last few game have all come from the midfield. OUR MIDFIELD SUCKS!!!!! They aren't dropping back to defend in time, they aren't creating any offense, and they aren't playing with any heart.

Maybe this is why Bex shouldn't ever stick around after winning his championships...

But no, fuck that nonesense! I blame LANDON!!! Landon needs to be the leader on this side. He was the one that gave the PK to Robbie. He is the one that I've not heard a peep from during this funk. Where is the Captain? I know we are all in love and up the guy's butt, but LD is a million dollar non perferformer on our roster as well.

Yes, the midfield blows... and no the defensive woes have not been solved.

I never liked the idea of Beckham returning. I had hoped the team would move on from the Beckham era after last season.

Now if things continue down this path, we are more likely to see the end of the Arena era before we see the end of the Beckham era.

Yes, there is zero leadership at this point. Landon doesn't seem to want the leadership role anymore. He is way too comfortable with being a role player these days.

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#78 Johnny Chanclas

Johnny Chanclas

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Futbol & Soccer
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, B&G, WBA, Atlas

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

I would think that someone (Becks, Duni or LD) needs to take the reins and organize some kind of 'players only' meeting and really have a heart to heart. Or maybe a team camping trip/slumber party. It just feels that there is a huge disconnect and lack of engagement. We are slowly going the way of the buffalo...
"If you are going to do something wrong, do it right."

#79 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

Never liked the idea of trading Ricketts. I respect all that Saunders has done for the G's, but I always thought there was a drop off in quality from Ricketts to Saunders.
Again, a keeper is highly dependent upon the defense in front of him and whoever is behind the current G's defense will struggle...

I'll admit that I was totally down with trading Ricketts and giving the starting job to Saunders, since Ricketts is a great keeper but old and injury-prone and expensive. However, injury-prone he may be, but suspension prone he is not.

I agree that Donovan has been a big disappointment. Maybe he shouldn't have been whored loaned out to another team over the offseason?

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#80 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

I agree that Donovan has been a big disappointment. Maybe he shouldn't have been whored loaned out to another team over the offseason?

Some would agree with you on the issue of off-season loans. It is definitely a factor to be considered.

I don't want to resurrect a dead horse, but some would also argue that LD is not being played in the position that best suits his talents.

Again, this also resurrects the debate of who the team is and should be built around.

#81 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

As far as defensive woes, I think they are pretty much solved as far as the backline goes. (POST RANT EDIT: There have been some shitty goals allowed by the defense, but they have looked much better than they did in week 1 is all I'm saying...) The break downs we've had over the last few game have all come from the midfield. OUR MIDFIELD SUCKS!!!!! They aren't dropping back to defend in time, they aren't creating any offense, and they aren't playing with any heart.

But no, fuck that nonesense! I blame LANDON!!!

Landon should be to blame. I went back and watched the game (let's hear it for DVRs), and the goal from NY was completely on Landon. He didn't track back with his man, but instead allowed Sean to suddenly have two players to cover. That ended up overloading the defense allowing Lindpere to come in free. If Landon tracks back with his man, that doesn't happen, and the defense can handle the midfield runs.

The other big part of this, is that the midfield is not opening any space. Constantly, the ball went from defense to forwards, no midfield play. When the G's have possession, they were passing it across the backline then would send a long ball forward. A few times there were passes to the outside midfielders, but very little actually went through the middle up high. There was a huge area of the field that the G's wouldn't even try to use and that made our offense pretty one-dimensional and easy to defend.

Midfield needs to step it up and control the pace and flow of the game. Right now, the G's look overmatched in midfield no matter who they are playing.

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Twitter: BigTony_42

#82 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

I don't know...Lindpere was playing CAM. That's either Juninho or Beckham's man to pick up I would think...

The real point is though... leadership or lackthereof... someone needs to handle this already...

#83 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

Yes, the midfield blows... and no the defensive woes have not been solved.

I never liked the idea of Beckham returning. I had hoped the team would move on from the Beckham era after last season.

Now if things continue down this path, we are more likely to see the end of the Arena era before we see the end of the Beckham era.

Yes, there is zero leadership at this point. Landon doesn't seem to want the leadership role anymore. He is way too comfortable with being a role player these days.

What I heard from LD at Everton, and what I see so far this season, leads me to believe his heart is no longer with the Galaxy. Hopefully embarrassment will set in and he'll grow a pair. In the past when the G's went through rough spots it was LD who stepped up to the mic after games and shouldered responsibility. This year it has been Barrett, Beckham and Arena? Is Sarvas in the dog house because he exposed the reality of the situation? Lots of fundamental issues that go much deeper than the ability of players and tactical savvy. Bruce couldn't get the ship righted in the second World Cup. He has another chance here. Hopefully he's mad enough to light a fire under LD and his leadership.

Every goal scored represents the collective heart of the team. The ball goes into the net when all of the relationships on the field converge in a defining moment. This team barely has a pulse. NY is not a team with a great deal of heart, but it had magnitudes more than the G's did.
:angry:

PS. I had a team like this once. Drove me absolutely crazy because we had better players than all but one team in the league. I ended up suspending seven players (five starters) who simply did not seem to care or put in any kind of effort at practice. We played our best game of the season with them sitting in the stands (0-0 tie with 5 saves for each keeper). That team never really grew a heart and we missed the playoffs (.500 on the season). The same group minus the previous years seniors (6 players, 3 starters) won the league title the following season. Still don't know what was up with that group. I think it may have been an unwillingness to follow the leadership. Several players told me that the suspensions made a big difference though I've never been able to find out why they thought so. If felt like there was stuff going on I wasn't going to know about.

#84 dhines

dhines

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, USMNT, Cruz Azul, USC

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

Who knows . . . maybe it is time for captain america to be sold and we then acquire lampard. Do I want that to happen, no. Do I think that will happen, No.

I think this team is just too loaded with talent (for the MLS), and therefore the players just aren't pressing hard enough. Couple that with how the team was assembled so late in the pre-season, and it is trouble.

I have a sneaky feeling we are going to come into the playoffs as 4 or 5 seeds and then steamroll everyone in our path.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users