#196 S.Bones

S.Bones

Dir. of Football Operations

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Landon as the "barometer" is a cop out. He's been playing too long with this team to keep pulling that crap. I don't expect it from Beckham and Keane because they'll always seem like hired guns to me. The G's are still Landon's team and he should act accordingly in tandem with Bruce.

I'm not saying this to mean that I think this is a good thing, but at this point in his career, I don't see Landon putting this team on his shoulders and saying "Let's go". Moreover, I don't think he can with this team.

I think Landon did do that with the team that won the Cup in '05, but that was in the pre-Sooper Club era, where all he had to do was gather the guys and play in spite of the Big Giant Head. Today's team has too many big voices and agendas, and I think Landon sees that and backs off. Note the way that Landon followed his brilliant leadership with the '05 Galaxy by embarrassing himself with the WC in Germany.

Landon will lead now when his leadership is the final thing needed for the team to succeed. It was easy at Everton because it was a team that just needed another piece. Landon provided that and everybody loved him.

And for Landon acting "in tandem" with Bruce, that ignores all of the other power centers on the team, ones that will not allow themselves to be ignored.

The problems are systemic. Beyond Landon's funk, look at what's happened with Sarvas. Whatever's wrong isn't going to be solved by Landon making more runs and shouting "Come on guys, let's go".

#197 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

http://www.washingto....html#pagebreak

from this i gather that beckham and magee gang banged sarvas' wife... and bruce can't tell us about it.

other than that, i feel a sense of calm after reading that. maybe I shouldn't but i feel like things will be fine...

Has the Galaxy lost its hunger and bite after winning the title last season?

“I can give you that answer at the end of the year,” he said. “I have a lot of understanding why our issues to date have been what they are, but that’s not anything I will make public right now. I have a very good sense why.”

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#198 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

The problems are systemic. Beyond Landon's funk, look at what's happened with Sarvas. Whatever's wrong isn't going to be solved by Landon making more runs and shouting "Come on guys, let's go".

An oversimplification of the point I was making. Landon is the most senior member on the team. Sarvas is just some dude they picked up in the offseason.

Perhaps with the loss of guys like Hejduk, Berhalter, etc that ability to lead in tandem has shifted, but "stepping back" is just another form of copping out.

The "systemic" issues are something that Bruce needs to address. The on field play is something the captain needs to address. So yes... in tandem so to speak.

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#199 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Surely it's possible to have great respect for the leadership Berhalter and Hejduk showed last year while at the same time thinking it's some seriously weak sauce if the rest of the team can't pull their thumbs out of their butts because Berhalter and Hejduk aren't on hand anymore.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#200 O D

O D

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy Rochdale

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Gotta love it when a Noob tells us to lay off Beckham.  Hey Noob, We are being VERY kind to Mr. Beckham.  We are not calling him Judas, or Grumpy, or %$#ckhim.  We're not telling him to go to &(ell, or making wisecracks about His Beckliness.  Now that that has been settled...

Beckham and the whole team played significantly better in the second half in large part because he didn't drop so deep.  And they found some bite in the midfield.  The G's don't have a real threat to finish off set pieces, which were a very important part of the G's offense last year.  Magee scored last year partly because opponents were worried about Omar.  If your offense is going to consist of play possession and get fouled, or counter attack, you have to be able to finish the service.

The G's had 10 corners and at least 7 free kicks.  I don't remember a single time when a G got to the ball first in the air.  Chances came when the ball came down into the scramble.

However, Montreal were able to get a head on nearly every set piece at both ends.  They didn't have near as many chances and the G's did a decent job of clearing the second ball.  Montreal isn't a particularly good team.  They certainly have a thuggish mentality, which should get them some points in this league.  Nice to see the G's win some of the fights in the second half.

I'm disappointed in the team, the management and the leaders, LD, Dunivant, Beckham, etc.  Tinkering and hoping it will go away isn't the answer.  Maybe they need to bring Cobi back into the coaching staff to help the team grow some heart.
:cheers:

Yeah, I know the history. Having grown up in England it's hard to hear a bad word against Becks, but I read and saw the history and understand perfectly.
I'm here in the States now and Galaxy are my team, I need my football and I'll support them with just as much passion... If you'll have me :-)

#201 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Pizza and Boyzzzz! And Galaxy! And BEER!
  • Supports:no one...they support me!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

I think Landon did do that with the team that won the Cup in '05, but that was in the pre-Sooper Club era, where all he had to do was gather the guys and play in spite of the Big Giant Head.

:)+

It has become clear to me that none of you can recognize the fact that this was the LD m.o. since he started in soccer and that it was in FACT the GENIUS OF SAMPSON that won the double and NOT LANDON DONOVAN!!!!
STEVE SAMPSON; STILL THE GREATEST COACH OF THE LA GALAXY. EVER. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT. NUF SAID. JAJAJA!

#202 Eric B

Eric B

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

beckham and magee gang banged sarvas' wife...

Isn't that how they welcome all new players?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users