Photo

Donovan Leaving LA [?], the thread that should always have been...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Catamount

Catamount

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

LD's recent candid interview with Grant Wahl (seems to trust that guy), got me to wondering why we don't have a thread to discuss LD and what he means to the Galaxy.  Seems to me to be more important than any thread about Beckham.  So here are the links to Grant Wahl's article and a thoughtful piece by Noah Davis.

Yeah. I'm to the point where this might sound crazy, but I like [being a sports celebrity] for the kids, but I don't really enjoy this aspect of it. I know it's a byproduct of it. I know a lot of people want to be famous and be a celebrity, and that was sort of an undesired consequence of everything that went on in 2010. I'm not complaining. But at my core I'm a pretty simple kid from a small town, and I've been doing this a long time. So I'm actually excited for the day when I can kind of step away from it and really just be a normal person again. ~Landon Donovan to four reporters

Donovan — because of his demeanor, his candor, his So Cal-style — doesn’t get nearly the credit he deserves for the effort he puts in, the pressure he deals with, the demands on his time he endures. He’s been the face of American soccer for a decade now, which is a long time for anyone, much less a quiet guy who’s happier with his dogs on the beach than in front of 60,000 fans.

He knows how lucky he’s been, but no one really understands how hard he’s worked for everything. If anything,  soccer is the easy part for Donovan. The rest of the superstar persona is more exhausting. So, when the footballing side becomes more difficult — he hinted multiple times at his decreasing abilities — it’s not surprising that the game becomes less enjoyable. ~Noah Davis

#2 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Should really be titled "Donovan leaves L.A." because that's what's about to happen sometime in the next 4-6 months.

#3 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Several Thoughts

1. Has there ever been a pro athlete who has talked so openly or cluelessly about just how hard it is to do what he does, about his need to comfortable? I don't mean guys that don't want to practice or be self-disciplined, I mean has there ever been a pro athlete that has been so shoe-gazingly emo?

2. There's nothing "SoCal" about this. This is not laid back. Frankie Hejduk was SoCal laid back and he clung to his national team and pro career for as long as he could.

3. Landon didn't have to take Nike's money.

4. Could he be sad that he no longer has the game for SoCal women but can still play in Liverpool? (first google image for "english girls" is...)

Posted Image

Edit: And I say this as someone who has loved Landon. I respected him so much when he brought us the Cup in '05, for the way that he stood up to the Beckham nonsense and for the passion he played with last year. And for being the Mexicutioner. And for the Algeria goal. I teared up last November when Landon jumped onto the field when he came out to warm-up before the Final.

But now? If he wants to be at Everton, send him to Everton.

#4 FuzzBall

FuzzBall

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Interests:Football, Fútbol, Fußball, De voetbal, Futebol, フットボール
  • Supports:LA G's, Chelsea F.C.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

AEG should just take whatever Everton offers. LD is on the decline.

#5 fredo9

fredo9

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • Interests:The Beautiful Game & Ugly Tales
  • Supports:GALAXY!

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Last year, I had the opportunity to talk to Landon and I said to him, "We need the Cup." He responded with, "I know. I know." I could hear it in his voice that he meant it.

I am sad about this thread.
"That's life." -Bruce Arena

"There's no easy games in The MLS." -Robbie Keane

See You Later, My Friend!

#6 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Pizza and Boyzzzz! And Galaxy! And BEER!
  • Supports:no one...they support me!

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

I don't have powers in this forum but would gladly change this title to "DONOVAN LEAVES LA"

It's clear he's checked out. I don't know why, I'd be fine if he left. There is plenty of talent on our bench and I'd love to pick up a new star player.

I heard Zidane is available...
STEVE SAMPSON; STILL THE GREATEST COACH OF THE LA GALAXY. EVER. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT. NUF SAID. JAJAJA!

#7 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Mods please delete.

Let's Eat!

#8 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

So I changed the title - the request from the Slugbot went into my spam folder.

#9 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

This thread definitely has a "Shoe-gazing" feel to it...

I saw this early on in the season.

The "barometer" and "systemic" team problems were cited as reasons, but...

It is clear that Landon is "over it", "not feeling it" and has "lost that loving feeling" in general...

Oh well... it happens... and some players go public with their feelings sometimes.

Whether or not he gets his wish is another matter...

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#10 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

Catamount is one cruel dude... After all that Landon's done for the club... To put him on blast like this...

#11 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Catamount is one cruel dude... After all that Landon's done for the club... To put him on blast like this...

I was actually wanting to create a thread that would allow us to discuss all the quality things LD has done for the Galaxy, one of which is being honest and transparent. However, it seems as if the thread has been LARSified into a leaving thread. That's okay by me.

LD HAS BEEN THE G's LEADER since he arrived with a huge assist from Cobi. Now Cobi is on the outside looking in and LD is the man, even though he no longer seems to want to be the man. Even though LD is Southern California born and bred there is a self-absorbed kind of vibe I get from him when he isn't playing well. When he plays well I begin to hear more about "us" the "guys on the team." Even in these articles from the national team he talks about the team and the guys. When he talks about Everton he mentions the fans, the guys in the locker room, and the welcoming spirit.

I think the constrast with Dempsey is interesting. What you hear from Deuce is all about his own goals and his drive. Yes, he is focused on helping the team, but it is always about what can I do to succeed. That's not the talk of a leader, but it is the kind of driven attitude that makes great players.

LD always had the extra something that made him look at the team and take responsibility for more than himself. It's hard, it's messy, it is uncomfortable, but he has been willing to do it because he knows that's what it takes to win championships. Notice the difference in the number of championships between Dempsey and Donovan. You can make excuses for Dempsey because he has been playing on a mid table team in Europe, but that's part of the point. Dempsey never found the leadership necessary to get the championship with the Revs and made playing "at the highest level" more important that championships.

In my opinion what makes LD special is precisely his leadership. I also think that his leadership suffers the minute he begins his self-absorbed, living the moment, how do I feel, mantra.
:pint:

#12 Johnny Chanclas

Johnny Chanclas

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Futbol & Soccer
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, B&G, WBA, Atlas

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

It is clear that Landon is "over it", "not feeling it" and has "lost that loving feeling" in general...

Posted Image

Can we get a banner made of this with a photoshop of LD's face and sing/chant this song to him? Kinda like, help him get back into it??? just saying....nevermind it won't work or happen....ideas get shot down here quickly...
"If you are going to do something wrong, do it right."

#13 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

Posted Image

Can we get a banner made of this with a photoshop of LD's face and sing/chant this song to him? Kinda like, help him get back into it??? just saying....nevermind it won't work or happen....ideas get shot down here quickly...

you learn quick...

although I will say that if you talk to isaac, ed or chris in person and give them your ideas it might work...just do not mention it on these boards man... too much ego...

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#14 romero03

romero03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts
  • Supports:USMNT

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

I want a damn captain on the damn team. Send his ass packing! Forget waiting 4-6 months.
Twitter

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders, Galaxy, LA Kings, ASU, Notre Dame(football)

#15 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

I'm surprised Donovan has been able to keep motivated in MLS for this long. I think he's beginning to regret the "I want to grow MLS" stuff. I know I would. Ultimately a soccer player has a very short career. If I had his talent I would be bummed if I played most of my career in half empty stadiums. You only get one shot at this and I'd rather have played in several different places (Leverkusen & loans don't really count).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users