Photo

Donovan Leaving LA [?], the thread that should always have been...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

Mods please sticky.

Let's Eat!

#17 Mikhail

Mikhail

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

Waaaa we're losing! Get rid of Landon! :)+

/Intelligent critique of this thread

#18 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

I just wanna say: Fuck Everton, and fuck the EPL.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#19 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

I can't wait for the "Please Come Back aka Landon Returning to L.A." thread.

Let's Eat!

#20 Chalky

Chalky

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

I'm surprised Donovan has been able to keep motivated in MLS for this long. I think he's beginning to regret the "I want to grow MLS" stuff. I know I would. Ultimately a soccer player has a very short career. If I had his talent I would be bummed if I played most of my career in half empty stadiums. You only get one shot at this and I'd rather have played in several different places (Leverkusen & loans don't really count).

Agreed. I think that disaterous first stint in Germany messed with his head to the point that he just couldn't do it.

#21 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

I can't wait for the "Please Come Back aka Landon Returning to L.A." thread.

Fish came back. Greg Vanney came back. Buddle came back. How have those been working out? Arguably Gavin Glinton had a more successful second stint as a G than any of those guys.

But you're probably right that there will be such a thread.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#22 Ben7

Ben7

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, MLS & USMNT

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'll try to keep it short.

Should Donovan really want to leave the G's, whether it's for a new challenge, retirement or a last hurrah of some sorts I sincerely hope that the G's, MLS and AEG allow him to go (even if it's a smaller or no transfer fee at all).
Simply as a "Thank You" for his impact and influence on the sport over the last decade or so.

I'd be very sad though, wish him the best and hope that once he hangs up his boots, he'll return to the G's, MLS and US Soccer in some capacity, even if it's after a break.

#23 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Pizza and Boyzzzz! And Galaxy! And BEER!
  • Supports:no one...they support me!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

this might be his ploy to become the highest paid player on the team...

I blame Buddle for all of this...check out his salary before he leaves for Germany. Check out his salary now. He scores fewer now, is out of shape now, and the team made special arrangements to sign him at a salary they were willing to pay him after a season in which he produced massive goals for the club. Now he's back, out of shape, and not scoring... when landon follows this path, he'll come back looking like Beckham! STTRAAAWBERRY BANANANANANANANANA!!!!
STEVE SAMPSON; STILL THE GREATEST COACH OF THE LA GALAXY. EVER. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT. NUF SAID. JAJAJA!

#24 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Besides soccer? Golf, Asian girls, grilling, swilling good beer, petite syrah
  • Supports:Galaxy, USA. Xolos

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

"I think every player goes through those moments. Some a bit earlier, some a bit later. I had those moments too, they came usually when you were kind of ready for the next step or a change. It helped me a lot to change [clubs] a few times more. It kept me on my toes and I kept learning a lot of things off the field too. I had those thoughts though."

-- U.S. national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann on Landon Donovan, who he sympathized with. Donovan said this week that he was finding it hard to find the hunger for the game. (Reuters)

#25 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

Reposting this here because it belongs...

Insightful interview with Klinsi.

“Landon is a very intelligent player and very experienced by now. I think it’s also normal that your thoughts go all over the place when you think, ‘OK, what’s next? Where are my next challenges? How long will I play this game?’ At this moment right now, where he has already played in three World Cups and has had many different experiences, I think it’s just normal. For us it’s important that once he’s here that he focuses in, he zooms in, and he gives everything he has then for the National Team. That’s what we saw in these 10 days – he came a bit later, the five or six days that he spent with us. He’s been tremendous in every training session. I didn’t see there any lack of not being hungry or not giving everything he had. He did that. He’s very, very professional. When he has these open discussions with you as journalists, I think that’s good to see. He’s a thoughtful guy and we had good talks after our Italy game where he couldn’t come in and obviously we will follow every player’s path and we will follow every player’s approach and attitude. There’s nothing to complain about with Landon. He’s a highly professional guy and time will tell how much he wants to continue on the highest level.”

~Jurgen Klinsmann

#26 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

Tonight in the Scotland game we saw what Landon can do when he gets the ball in space running at the goal.

That's how he plays his best.

I think he got the ball in that position more times tonight then he has all season.

It seemed that JK set things up to maximize Landon's abilities, and when he's with the G's Landon always has to adapt to Keane and Beckham.

Maybe that's why he's not feeling it.

#27 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

It seemed that JK set things up to maximize Landon's abilities, and when he's with the G's Landon always has to adapt to Keane and Beckham.

Close. But I think people generally like to point the finger at the other DP's. The truer statement is: "with the G's Landon always has to adapt to Bruce Arena."

Bruce is very much a round peg / square hole type guy.

#28 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

Tonight in the Scotland game we saw what Landon can do when he gets the ball in space running at the goal.

That's how he plays his best.

I think he got the ball in that position more times tonight then he has all season.

Maybe that's why he's not feeling it.

This... +1

Close. But I think people generally like to point the finger at the other DP's. The truer statement is: "with the G's Landon always has to adapt to Bruce Arena."

Bruce is very much a round peg / square hole type guy.

And this... +2

All of this makes sense to me if Landon is not only frustrated with himself but Bruce as well. <_<

#29 We Own You

We Own You

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Supports:LA GALAXY

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

Our rebuilding or restructuring is really going to have to center around the void he will create when he leaves us. He's more than a talented player, he's been a huge part of the mentality and drive the G's have had. The Loss of Cobi was made easier with LD being around, we dont currently have any "Legends" to carry the team when Landon leaves.

The search for be for our next fearless leader to guide us for a few years.

#30 Dude Love

Dude Love

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

I didn't know we had so many mind readers. Psychic Squad, we are here.

I think if Landon wanted - seriously wanted - to leave the Galaxy, he'd have left by now. Why would he be honest to the point of TMI on every other subject, but super-cagey and manipulative about staying with the Galaxy? Wahl's "hunger" question was in the context of the national team.

I think (1) Landon knows perfectly well whatever problem it is that Arena is talking about, and (2) Landon is not that problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users