71 replies to this topic

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
The terms of the deal would also keep in place plans for an under-22 player initiative set to begin in the 2021 season, the source said. That new discretionary spending category would allow teams to sign up to three players under the age of 22 with no limitations on acquisition costs, as long as the players salary is less than the maximum budget charge, which is set to be $612,500 in 2021. The under-22 initiative player signings would then be counted at a reduced budget charge similar to young designated players

From the Athletic

Full article if you have a subscription

https://theathletic...._shared_article

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Cool. at least there's some details wrt how the new rule will work. Thx, fam 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

There is literally no excuse for us to not max out on the ability to use this rule. Not wanting to spend millions in salary on a starter in Europe with a reputation? Fine, I get it. But a bunch of 18-21-year-old's who will be happy to earn a decent income for the first time in their lives? We should be all over that. especially since, if they actually believe in what they're building, they can be sold for profit a few years later anyway.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

There is literally no excuse for us to not max out on the ability to use this rule. Not wanting to spend millions in salary on a starter in Europe with a reputation? Fine, I get it. But a bunch of 18-21-year-old's who will be happy to earn a decent income for the first time in their lives? We should be all over that. especially since, if they actually believe in what they're building, they can be sold for profit a few years later anyway.

Theres no excuse.

The excuse they will use is that the team is the star so they dont want to spend big on one guy and a little on another.

So theyll just spend little on everyone.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Big question is about the personnel out there. These ppl trying sign guys and bring them to RBNY, are they even CLOSERS in the first place. What kind of pitch are they giving for players to eventually say "Thanks, but no thanks" and we end up with fliers like Tetteh? 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

So this would prevent guys like Jorgensen and Yearwood (assuming a modest salary) from being DPs. With Kaku sold, we'd have all three DP spots open for the first time in awhile.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Big question is about the personnel out there. These ppl trying sign guys and bring them to RBNY, are they even CLOSERS in the first place. What kind of pitch are they giving for players to eventually say "Thanks, but no thanks" and we end up with fliers like Tetteh? 

This comment reminds me that Clark chose RBNY after RBL already sort of closed the deal ... hoping Thelwell/Struber have been honing their sales pitch.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
Assuming Kaku is sold or traded, and Yearwood is reclassified as one of these U22 players, RBNY would have all 3 DP spots and 2 U22 spots open.

They probably wouldnt use all 3 DP spots, but with 4 open international slots (5 if Kaku is gone) that should mean bringing in 4 high potential/high impact players to the squad. (2 DP, 2 U22)

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Assuming Kaku is sold or traded, and Yearwood is reclassified as one of these U22 players, RBNY would have all 3 DP spots and 2 U22 spots open.

They probably wouldnt use all 3 DP spots, but with 4 open international slots (5 if Kaku is gone) that should mean bringing in 4 high potential/high impact players to the squad. (2 DP, 2 U22)

These guys can't seem to close a window (or within a window) nevermind closing a deal with a non-Red Bull organization player.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
I will just be happy if we don't have to play 2/3 draft picks opening day.

I have really liked 80% of the names we've been liked to this winter, I can't be bothered to figure out if they're legit links.

My expectations are in line with what this FO has shown me they can do.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Just got a spam email from Don Garber - sounds like things might not be smooth with CBA talks?

>

Dear MLS Fans:

On behalf of everyone at Major League Soccer and our clubs, I hope that despite the challenges we all continue to face in 2021, you and your families are having a happy, safe and healthy start to the year.

With the victory by Columbus Crew SC in MLS Cup just over a month ago, we concluded the most remarkable year in our 25 seasons. I truly appreciate everything that our players, staffs, officials, and our ownership did to get us through the year. And I want to thank all of our fans for your continued support of your club during a difficult season. For all that we achieved together, we can proudly say that the 2020 MLS season will be remembered forever.

Today, we turn the page and look ahead to the 2021 season with the MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas as our newest expansion club Austin FC makes the first overall selection. There’s incredible energy around Austin FC, as the club has sold out its season tickets and will debut this spring in a world-class stadium that reflects the spirit of their community. We will also open two new stadiums in Ohio for FC Cincinnati and Columbus Crew SC.

Through all the excitement that comes with the launch of a new soccer season, the COVID-19 pandemic is still very much with us and brings a great deal of uncertainty. I know fans missed being able to attend matches last season and it is certain that there will be significant limitations on attendance this year. Unlike other leagues here and abroad, we are hit harder financially when our fans can’t attend games.

Coming out of the pandemic in the strongest possible position will continue to require everyone in MLS to work together. Last year forced us all to make tough decisions and endure new and difficult challenges. We were forced to reduce our staff at the League and club level as well as reducing salaries. We made significant budget cuts to allow us to fund key initiatives like the MLS is Back Tournament and to continue to pay our players 95% of their salaries.

Our players faced new challenges as well with a revised schedule that had them away from their families for weeks on end and enduring new pandemic-related health and safety protocols.

As we look ahead to a second tough season this year, we met with the MLS Players Association and their player representatives in early January to talk about how we can deal with the ongoing challenges with the pandemic and the impact on MLS for a second year.

The MLS ownership group presented a fair proposal to a very difficult situation that provides the players with 100% of their salaries this year, in return for a two-year extension of the MLS Collective Bargaining Agreement. I’m proud of the solution that our ownership group has presented. The MLS ownership takes the risk and financial losses from the pandemic this year, while protecting the long-term stability of our League by providing an opportunity to earn back some of that financial loss in the future.

Like you, we are all eager to begin the 2021 season this coming March. We presented our proposal to the MLSPA two weeks ago and look forward to receiving a response. We are ready to meet with the MLSPA and players in the coming days and reach an agreement that works for the short- and long-term benefit to all.

We are confident that from these challenging times, MLS will persevere and emerge stronger than ever, and we thank you for your support.

Regards,

mlscommish_sig_2017.jpg
Don Garber
Commissioner
Major League Soccer

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

email from Don Garber

I had posted a link in the NMR subforum:
https://www.mlssocce...ead-2021-season
I would have expected leaked info about the CBA by now, from either a club FO or the MLSPA.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

CBA deadline extended to Feb. 4:

MLS sets new negotiation deadline, warns of possible lockout (msn.com)

Will this really happen?

Is U22 rule stuck until then and cant bring in players?

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

CBA deadline extended to Feb. 4:
MLS sets new negotiation deadline, warns of possible lockout (msn.com)

Will this really happen?
Is U22 rule stuck until then and cant bring in players?

The squabbling over the CBA doesnt seem to involve minutiae like roster rules, more so the 2 year extension of the CBA and larger details.

MLS has put the PA in a bad spot, especially with the extension, transfer windows are closing in Europe on Feb 1st and would hinder players ability to find work elsewhere if they were locked out.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

The squabbling over the CBA doesnt seem to involve minutiae like roster rules, more so the 2 year extension of the CBA and larger details.

MLS has put the PA in a bad spot, especially with the extension, transfer windows are closing in Europe on Feb 1st and would hinder players ability to find work elsewhere if they were locked out.

if they lock them out over petty stuff like this im taking my season ticket money and giving it to the PU if they would take it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users