526 replies to this topic

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Just anecdotally speaking, I know two former STH's. One who cancelled before last season and one who cancelled before this upcoming season. Both because of a clear lack of investment in this team - essentially no "win-now" mindset, which is the only acceptable one in a league like MLS (as opposed to other American leagues where you can tolerate a traditional rebuild). These are guys who I've gone to games with since 2010 and are huge soccer fans (still even broader MLS fans too). No shot they are alone in this sentiment. 

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

How would you like them to spend money on that?   Commercials on Channel 9 News?   Full page ad in the Times?  Goodyear blimp maybe?   Pulls some strings for an interview on David Letterman?

That's not the problem.  The problem is clearly parking, and the demise of $1 hot dogs.   

I know people who have gone to red bull games who dont even know they are in preseason. Marketing 101 is to contact those who have purchased tickets in the past.

As for spending money, you dont need to spend too much money if they did a weekly show that promoted the team and highlighted the key players. The YouTube channel is Mostly filled with videos that are less than a minute and the "all access" videos are roughly 5 minutes but barely give any access. They have so much material and content but dont do anything. All I am saying is that they should try.

I understand what you are saying about the transportation issues but they are also located in a community that eats, sleeps and drinks soccer. Systems could be put in place to get many of these people to the stadium.

What annoys me with this team is that they dont event try. It's a culture issue at the organization and they need to clean house.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Just anecdotally speaking, I know two former STH's. One who cancelled before last season and one who cancelled before this upcoming season. Both because of a clear lack of investment in this team - essentially no "win-now" mindset, which is the only acceptable one in a league like MLS (as opposed to other American leagues where you can tolerate a traditional rebuild). These are guys who I've gone to games with since 2010 and are huge soccer fans (still even broader MLS fans too). No shot they are alone in this sentiment. 

I fall into a similar categaory, I dropped my season tickets last year. For me though, I dont need a win-now mentality from the team. Im good with a 3 year plan, but I honestly dont see that. There are so many holes on this squad. Metro has always poor roster construction, with the exception of the Marsch years. When we had DPs like Henry we could overcome some of that. But, if youre not going to bring in guys like that, you need rosters like Marsch put together. You need to go out and make the trade for a Parker when you realize you need a CB. Or bring in a Kaku when you realize Sacha probably going to start declining.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,455 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

We can have capacity crowds every game. There is no limit on the amount of tarps they can put in.

We can have capacity crowds every game.
Just announce attendances as sold-out, which is only slightly less bogus than the Tickets Distributed figures we occasionally see, if it is reported at all.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, USA, PR libre
It may currently be a pipe dream, but this club can thrive with better owners. Repeat after me, RB is not the best it can get.

We need to start there b.c right away comparisons are made with the previous era instead of envisioning the next one.

RED. BULL. OUT.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,590 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I know people who have gone to red bull games who dont even know they are in preseason. Marketing 101 is to contact those who have purchased tickets in the past.

As for spending money, you dont need to spend too much money if they did a weekly show that promoted the team and highlighted the key players. The YouTube channel is Mostly filled with videos that are less than a minute and the "all access" videos are roughly 5 minutes but barely give any access. They have so much material and content but dont do anything. All I am saying is that they should try.

What annoys me with this team is that they dont event try. It's a culture issue at the organization and they need to clean house.

Their instagram account has 200,000 followers.    They're doing stuff every day on every social media platform.    They also post to twitter and tik tok and youtube and FB.    Some stupid "clap challenge on TikTok got 12,500 views.     No one watches 10 minute youtube videos.  They look at Instagram or watch 30 second tiktok clips.   Its not lack of effort.  They are doing everything the other teams are doing.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
I dont particularly care about the attendance talk, but one of the main problems is the team is in no mans land.

They dont make big name signings any longer, but also the past three seasons they have been content to be an also ran.

I dont think a top team would move the needle much in this market regardless, but just floating along isnt helping either.

Also, while homegrown players and locals are seen as something to be proud of in every other world soccer market, American sports fans arent moved or drawn in by having a team full of locals playing for their favorite team.

Obviously we could break out Fishkins list of reasons why the attendance sucks, but the above has a lot of impact.

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Their instagram account has 200,000 followers.    They're doing stuff every day on every social media platform.    They also post to twitter and tik tok and youtube and FB.    Some stupid "clap challenge on TikTok got 12,500 views.     No one watches 10 minute youtube videos.  They look at Instagram or watch 30 second tiktok clips.   Its not lack of effort.  They are doing everything the other teams are doing.   

Are you Florentino Perez in disguise? I could swear he said the same during the Supercup fiasco

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Views and followers means nothing in social media. The real question is... what is the level of engagement of the post. If you look at their youtube channel, they have 20k followers but 1 to 30 people comment per video. That is pathetic. What that tells me is that most of their followers are bots.

No one watches 10 minute YouTube videos? says who? Lol

There are plenty of content creators that produce 10 to 15 minute videos and have over 300 comments per video. Plus, These videos are produced every day.

Red bull just has to put some effort and produce content 2x a week and that should be enough. It's not like they have to dig deep to create content.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,169 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

This team just doesn't generate views or clicks, just ppl tweeting, "Follow back, admin". lol 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

AV has tweeted some things about the views and such they get on their videos by those metrics they kill it.  but the difference is that its one thing to get impressions different level to translate that to money spent. 

i think another point no one has mentioned yet is RB brand of soccer is generally ugly.  its a demo derby so when the team isnt winning the games arent super fun.  And then we double down by playing an ugly brand with guys that arent super talented and you get snoozefests for ppl who arent diehards.  To overcome the ugly style you need some really good players so it looks good. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I think parking and public transit are the biggest problems for attendance.  And unfortunately, there is basically nothing within the team's power that can be done about those issues at this point, short of building a new stadium.

For casuals and families, ease of getting to the game is far more important than popular signings. No amount of marketing can make the parking or public transportation experience better.

I have a family and I have taken them to games in the past and I have never really cared about parking or public transit.

I care about players that are fun to watch and ambition to win the cup.

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

I have a family and I have taken them to games in the past and I have never really cared about parking or public transit.

I care about players that are fun to watch and ambition to win the cup.

you are posting on metrofanatic you aint a casual

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Views and followers means nothing in social media. The real question is... what is the level of engagement of the post. If you look at their youtube channel, they have 20k followers but 1 to 30 people comment per video. That is pathetic. What that tells me is that most of their followers are bots.

No one watches 10 minute YouTube videos? says who? Lol

There are plenty of content creators that produce 10 to 15 minute videos and have over 300 comments per video. Plus, These videos are produced every day.

Red bull just has to put some effort and produce content 2x a week and that should be enough. It's not like they have to dig deep to create content.

they have sold partnerships off the back of those social numbers so

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

you are posting on metrofanatic you aint a casual

I'm not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users