23 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,455 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

a really solid crowd by our standards. lots of people took advantage of the family 4 pack promo.

45 years ago today, Cosmos drew 62,394 at GS.
Tens of thousand of Fathers Day families.
3rd of 70 consecutive 30K home crowds.
Two generations later, 12-19K is considered good?
https://www.ussoccer...akeoff-in-1977/
I am not knocking those who enjoyed the promo.
Frankly, RB should run it for every home game.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,455 posts
A Fathers Day trip for many families.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

A Fathers Day trip for many families.

Couldnt you argue that in 1977 the Cosmos were one of the best and most entertaining teams in the world? The Red Bulls cannot be described as either of those.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,455 posts

in 1977 the Cosmos were one of the best and most entertaining teams in the world?

I attended a large number of Cosmos home games.
Even then, people called them a retirement team.

The Red Bulls cannot be described as either of those.

People go to watch a lot of crappy movies.
There are different kinds of entertainment:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=BIajBbbtgbs

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,590 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Couldnt you argue that in 1977 the Cosmos were one of the best and most entertaining teams in the world? The Red Bulls cannot be described as either of those.

Entertaining?  Absolutely.  One of the best in the world?  Not by any measure.  They didn't even win their division.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Tens of thousand of Fathers Day families.
3rd of 70 consecutive 30K home crowds.
Two generations later, 12-19K is considered good?
I am not knocking those who enjoyed the promo.
Frankly, RB should run it for every home game.

One of the big differences between now and then is the access to soccer we currently have. If you wanted to watch soccer then what were your options? So many ways to get a soccer fix now. Also, there was the roster. Retirement league or not, those guys were mega stars.

Maybe its comparable to network tv? Back then they were the only game in town. Now, we have access to 1000s of other viewing options with cable and the internet.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,455 posts

If you wanted to watch soccer then what were your options?

ABC had the NASL national contract. Ratings were poor.
Cancellation hurt & contributed to the league demise.

Back then they were the only game in town.

There were games on Spanish-language networks.
Also English & Bundesliga matches.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

One of the big differences between now and then is the access to soccer we currently have. If you wanted to watch soccer then what were your options? So many ways to get a soccer fix now. Also, there was the roster. Retirement league or not, those guys were mega stars.

Maybe its comparable to network tv? Back then they were the only game in town. Now, we have access to 1000s of other viewing options with cable and the internet.

Very much this

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

bukie2k

bukie2k

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • Supports:ManU, Cosmos, Metros

Very good analogy. Until cable and Uncle Rupert came along soccer fans wandered in the desert looking for games on TV. If you wanted to watch a live game on a weekly basis you had your choice of the Mexican League on CH 41, Serie A on CH 31 or a local league match in person (if you could find one). The NASL had various TV deals over the years, mostly syndicated, but none of them lasted more than a handful of seasons and games weren't shown on a regular weekly schedule. ABC joined the party in '79 but only showed games during the summer months in an early afternoon spot on the weekends which didn't do much for the ratings. This was also the era of commercials during the run of play which probably didn't endear the broadcasts to the purists. Ratings were so poor the final year of the deal ABC chose to show Soccer Bowl '81 on tape delay the day after the game rather than pre-empt the Saturday prime time line-up. CH 13 had weekly condensed tape delayed English First Division and German Bundesliga games on Saturday and Sunday evenings.

Footnote to the story - commercial free during run of play broadcasts didn't start until 1993 and were also responsible for the creation of the constant on-screen score/time box that quickly became a constant on every sporting events broadcast. That was how ABC integrated the major sponsor(s) of each game into the broadcast.

When you are born, you get a ticket to the freak show. If you are born in the United States, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

So attendance may have been better then, but youd think tv viewership is up based on the deal with Apple. Is the total number of people (attendance + TV) watching a game up from the NASL days?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Back then they were the only game in town.

There were games broadcast on Spanish-language networks.

I was referring to Network tv, not the NASL. I get that there were some other options to watch soccer then, but no where near the options there are today. I also understand there was more than Network tv, but again no where near what our options are today.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
I know it's hip in some circles to bash the original NASL but the fact is that if it had never existed the entire history of the sport in this country changes, and for the worse. While that soccer boom eventually went bust it convinced people that it could be repeated and sustained if done correctly and led to both USA 94 and MLS (Don't forget that the boom led to the improvement in player quality that led to qualification to Italia 90 which sealed the deal for USA 94). Don't let certain obnoxious types who never shut up about shitting on MLS blind you to that fact.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

There were games broadcast on Spanish-language networks.

Handing out expansion teams like they were molly at a Phish concert was another prime factor in the league's demise. Good thing MLS learned from that mista....

Oh.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

I know it's hip in some circles to bash the original NASL but the fact is that if it had never existed the entire history of the sport in this country changes, and for the worse. While that soccer boom eventually went bust it convinced people that it could be repeated and sustained if done correctly and led to both USA 94 and MLS (Don't forget that the boom led to the improvement in player quality that led to qualification to Italia 90 which sealed the deal for USA 94). Don't let certain obnoxious types who never shut up about shitting on MLS blind you to that fact.

Im definitely not shitting on NASL, I was just saying the attendance numbers arent apples to apples.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Im definitely not shitting on NASL, I was just saying the attendance numbers arent apples to apples.

Wasn't a go at you, was more of a general statement about how people bash NASL and denigrate it's importance and how I feel that is wrong from a historical perspective.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users