Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Henry didn't really play as a forward.. he was withdrawn left, more playmaker than finisher  

Henry was constantly frustrated with Cooper. He was quoted in the article wrt BWP should have 40+ goals or whatever. Did he say anything at all about Luke Rodgers (2011) or Cahill (2014) when they were featured up top?

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Henry didn't really play as a forward.. he was withdrawn left, more playmaker than finisher  

Thinking about Henry being forced to be a playmaker because this team generally sucks at building strong rosters annoys me every time. Bought a Ferrari and kept it in 4th gear.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Henry was constantly frustrated with Cooper. He was quoted in the article wrt BWP should have 40+ goals or whatever. Did he say anything at all about Luke Rodgers (2011) or Cahill (2014) when they were featured up top?

Henry on Luke Rodgers, possibly the only player he was afraid of in his entire career:

https://nypost.com/2...n-star-donovan/

“I tip him to finish top goal-scorer this year. I tip him, yeah,’’ Henry told the Post before tonight’s tilt vs. Columbus (7:30 p.m., MSG). “I knew he was going to score goals straightaway. When Luke has the ball, he wants to shoot. Good for him; he’s that type of striker. If you don’t give him the ball, he’s not happy, he will curse.

“I knew if we were going to play well, Luke was going to score plus-15. And I will tell you, I’m more than happy to score goals, but I would love if Luke finishes top goal-scorer. I think Luke right now is living a dream. He’s been unleashed. Go. He’s happy, he’s buzzing. You need to be like that to play good football. If Luke scores three (tonight), good for us; carry on like that. We want to win.’’

And a bonus article from Brian Lewis I found while looking for the above quote. Some top notch bleeping on this one Brian!

https://nypost.com/2...n-star-donovan/

“In this league, he’s a respected person, but he’s telling Titi to (screw) off. The kid’s a (genitalia)head. I don’t care. I just think the kid’s a (friggin’ jerk). I don’t care what you put,’’ said Rodgers, clear that his views were his views, and he didn’t care if they were printed, blogged or tweeted.

God I miss Luke Rodgers....

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Thinking about Henry being forced to be a playmaker because this team generally sucks at building strong rosters annoys me every time. Bought a Ferrari and kept it in 4th gear.

That may have been Henry's decision more than anything else. He made a few comments early in his MLS tenure that he didn't necessarily need or want to be the top goalscorer and that he was happy in the playmaker role. He also specifically asked Petke to move out the LW full time in 2013 or 2014 (I think '14...) when he thought the 4-2-3-1 better suited the team as a whole.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Yeah, I thought that was already covered that Henry was the big proponent of that formation switch.  

He was such a good passer that he could play anywhere.  And he was probably smart enough as well to realize what BWP did well.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts

God I miss Luke Rodgers....

we all do. really fucking humble, too. 

what has always stuck out to me about Rodgers was when he and Lloyd Sam were on trial at Portsmouth. Told Sam that if he could he'd play for us, he'd play for free. Crazy stuff. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

One my favorite moments ever is of Luke giving Landon Donovan the chatty mouth hand gesture after he whined at him for being physical, then later having a laugh with Donovan Ricketts. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Theres a FANTASTIC interview with Steve Cangialosi on the Seeing Red podcast this week. Amongst other things he talks about whats gone wrong and how Armas could possibly salvage some things and right the ship.

I highly recommend it.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Theres a FANTASTIC interview with Steve Cangialosi on the Seeing Red podcast this week. Amongst other things he talks about whats gone wrong and how Armas could possibly salvage some things and right the ship.

I highly recommend it.

agree EXCELLENT EXCELLENT interview.

Steve is so great.  talks about this is loss being BAD.  backline is so much worse this year and talks about lack of leadership as no one besides Robles answered tough questions after that bad loss.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

agree EXCELLENT EXCELLENT interview.
Steve is so great.  talks about this is loss being BAD.  backline is so much worse this year and talks about lack of leadership as no one besides Robles answered tough questions after that bad loss.  

Theres 100% a leadership void. Add that to the list of shit thats gone wrong this year.

Love Robles, but hate the idea of a GK captain in general. What? The other 10 guys on the field cant man up? Someone take charge of the field. Jesus.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

hate ... a GK captain ... guys on the field cant man up?

Who do you suggest?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Who do you suggest?

The most senior, quality guy would be Royer, but he just doesn't seem to have the personality for it.   He gets angry and yells occasionally, but its like he's reluctant to do it.    

Sean Davis took a big step backwards this year.  Had he gone the other direction, and stepped up with Tyler leaving, he had potential to be a long-term captain here.   

I like defenders as captains, but Long's seemingly imminent departure negates that.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
I don't think age is a requirement for a good captain. It just needs to be someone the team respects and admires. Of the 10 field players my guess is it should be Kemar.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Who do you suggest?

I cant SUGGEST anyone. One of the lock starters needs to sack up, be a man and take on the responsibility.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts

I don't think age is a requirement for a good captain. It just needs to be someone the team respects and admires. Of the 10 field players my guess is it should be Kemar.

totally, he's Cap'n for Ja-fucking-maica. and when i see those dudes play, they know that they may not have the necessary personnel to get the job done all the time, but they play focused and determined. reflects leadership. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users