#527 kenosis

kenosis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Storm, Torpedo Vladimir

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:26 PM

seriously man. regulation is what keeps kids from working in factories. it's what keeps companies from selling tainted food at the supermarket or producing unsafe medications. regulation is what stops monopolies from fucking us all. it's what stops (or attempts to stop) price-fixing, scams, unsafe work environments, and all sorts of shady things that go on in the world of business.

regulation is not inherently bad. please understand this.

I'm really not sure laws are what keep Americans from sending kids to factories nor am I sure the government is the only thing keeping American food safe. Underwriter's Laboratories, for example, is an excellent example of a non-governmental body that maintains quality of goods. Were there not a governmental body overseeing food quality I'm confident something like UL would come in to do the job. YMMV, of course.

I used to believe the government protected people from monopolies -- that is, the natural state of business would be to consolidate to one firm without government safeguards. Now I tend to think the opposite is true: that governmental regulation is the source of monopolies. Aeons ago I remember we talked about the charges leveled against Standard Oil's monopoly -- except that it charged cheaper prices than its competitors, which really demonstrates that it was concerned about competitors and thus wasn't a monopoly at all. I find it's really hard to find examples of monopolies that don't come from government intervention on their behalf. (If you can find one you think has merit I'd be interested in discussing it.)

#528 jokerman326

jokerman326

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:22 PM

I'm really not sure laws are what keep Americans from sending kids to factories nor am I sure the government is the only thing keeping American food safe. Underwriter's Laboratories, for example, is an excellent example of a non-governmental body that maintains quality of goods. Were there not a governmental body overseeing food quality I'm confident something like UL would come in to do the job. YMMV, of course.

I've worked for 2 different slaughterhouses owned by 2 different major corporations. Trust me. The regulations are the only thing keeping the food safe, and no, the corporations wouldn't replace the USDA with anything half as effective. What amazes me is how few cases of food poisoning there are, considering the USDA inspections are pretty much "scratch and sniff."
If there is a regulation, be it food safety, workplace safety, employment eligibility, the slaughterhouses know 20 ways around them.
BTW, bad meat: goes to either dog food (which some Americans do indeed eat) or exported to other countries. So yeah, slaughterhouses have no problems putting bad meat out on the market for humans to consume. Profit is profit, you know. And there is nothing unethical or illegal about sending tainted meat to a country without regulations or without enforcement of regulations in order to make the most fucking profit possible regardless of (someone else's) expense.

#529 kikkoman1231

kikkoman1231

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Supports:Hawks/Fire/Sox

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:39 AM

This is why I hunt every weekend, killing squirrel, foxes, raccoons and skunks for human consumption.

Once you get past the bullets and bones, it's not a bad dish. :P

#530 bahns82

bahns82

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Supports:cfsc

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

Supreme Court mandated re-count and Jeb Bush won, by way of write-in ballots
The WB05 Zine. Undeniably overdue.

#531 kikkoman1231

kikkoman1231

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Supports:Hawks/Fire/Sox

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

Obama is selecting Arne Duncan, the Chief Executive Officer of the Chicago Public Schools as the Secretary of Education.

I never went to a CPS, but I always hear about failing grades, out-dated books, limited resources, gang-related violence, etc. that is common in CPS. All I know about this Duncan guy is that he graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard and that he is criticized in local media.

Any take on Duncan? Should we be more happy that he's the Secretary of Education or that there will be a new chief in town that can provide better service to our local community?

#532 kenosis

kenosis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Storm, Torpedo Vladimir

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:39 AM

Obama is selecting Arne Duncan, the Chief Executive Officer of the Chicago Public Schools as the Secretary of Education.

I never went to a CPS, but I always hear about failing grades, out-dated books, limited resources, gang-related violence, etc. that is common in CPS. All I know about this Duncan guy is that he graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard and that he is criticized in local media.

Any take on Duncan? Should we be more happy that he's the Secretary of Education or that there will be a new chief in town that can provide better service to our local community?

I think he's about as good as we're likely to get. All things considered I think CPS is better than it used to be - and he sure beats Ron Price.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users