224 replies to this topic

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
I believe the Columbus owner is from Austin so he feels that he has more political pull down there to get a downtown stadium.

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Looks like Precourt was planning this from the beginning. Douchebag.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Looks like Precourt was planning this from the beginning. Douchebag.

TBF, the guy put a lot of effort into the rebranding and trying to make it work in Cowtown.   They were in trouble before he got there, and he wasn't able to turn it around despitesome legit effort.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

TBF, the guy put a lot of effort into the rebranding and trying to make it work in Cowtown.   They were in trouble before he got there, and he wasn't able to turn it around despitesome legit effort.

That's the spin he is putting on it, but is it really the truth? Sure, they rebranded by adding the idiotic SC and ditched the village people, but did it go beyond that? I honestly don't know...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

That's the spin he is putting on it, but is it really the truth? Sure, they rebranded by adding the idiotic SC and ditched the village people, but did it go beyond that? I honestly don't know...

To hear Crew fans tell it, he put some lipstick on the pig, so to speak.

They got a new logo, sold the naming rights to Crew Stadium and got a shirt sponsor. But they didn't do much to market the team and they've made it tougher to watch games on TV.

I can't speak to the veracity of those claims, but given the circumstances, I'd believe Precourt would do the bare minimum to convince people he was trying.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

But they didn't do much to market the team and they've made it tougher to watch games on TV.

I posted this a few pages back but he actually made it easier to watch games on tv...

http://www.dispatch....25-crew-tv.html

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Is this the first time a professional sports team in the USA is moving from the capital of one state to the capital of another state? (assuming the move takes place)

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Who knows, but why go through the effort of doing anything?  Wouldn't the team be even easier to move if it had less fans in Ohio?

If they move, they shouldn't be allowed to take the name Crew.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Is this the first time a professional sports team in the USA is moving from the capital of one state to the capital of another state? (assuming the move takes place)

See avatar.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Agreed, it seems like he's only made half-hearted efforts. Lots of reports where local politicians and business people tried to work with him and he's brushed them off, planned on moving to Austin this whole time. He's had offers from locals to buy the team from him and he declined. Really looks like he's wanted to move the team this whole time and was only doing the minimum to keep up appearances. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Who knows, but why go through the effort of doing anything?  Wouldn't the team be even easier to move if it had less fans in Ohio?

Yeah, let OH keep the team name, just in case. If Cincy gets to MLS, re-start Columbus and you'll have the rivalry. 

Sorta what MLS did when the Quakes moved to Houston. League gave SJ a franchise. This time around, there'll be an already built facility in Cbus.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Who would want to?
If Crew name is abandoned, does 2008 MLS Cup default to RBNY?
Actually, the owner has apparently registered a couple of names for Austin already.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Who would want to?.

in the NBA, someone took the Jazz name to Utah...

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
It's so obvious the owner conned his way into being able to buy the team by pretending he was committed to the city when he planned to leave from day one. According to the Dispatch he guy put it in his agreement that he was staying for 10 years but could break it to move to Austin. Also local intrests wanted to buy the team but he blew them off. And here's another scummy detail I saw a Crew fan post elsewhere: this announcement was made a day after their STH renewal deadline so if they stay as a lame duck the slimeball gets their money when if people knew his plans nobody would've renewed.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

in the NBA, someone took the Jazz name to Utah...

And the Lakers name from Minneapolis to LA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users