30 replies to this topic

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

I've been a season ticket holder for the Devils and Red Bulls for a very long time. Devils attendance issues has been overblown for years. They had more people at their game yesterday to watch a shit team than the amount of people at RBA last night.

Devils attendance has been very solid since moving into the Prudential Center considering how bad they have been most years playing there and the fact they have missed the playoffs 7 times since moving there and only advanced past the 1st round 1 time in 12 seasons there.

You can talk about all the past success but that does nothing to take away from how awful they have been the majority of the time in this new arena.

They have missed the playoffs 6 of the past 7 years and this season has been absolutely horrible but the crowds have been great. Attendance is sitting at 92.4% capacity this year which is amazing considering all their injuries and the fact they have been basically been a minor league team cause of the injuries.

People are coming out to their games, it's just that the midweek mildly attended games against western conference teams that nobody cares about gets overblown into "no fans!"

Here's the Devils capacity per season since moving into the Prudential Center...

18-19 - 92.4% no playoffs
17-18 - 92% 1st round knockout
16-17 - 94% no playoffs
15-16 - 91.3% no playoffs
14-15 - 86.2% no playoffs
13-14 - 88.7% no playoffs
12-13 - 97.1% no playoffs
11-12 - 87.4% lost in the finals
10-11 - 83.08% no playoffs
09-10 - 88.1% 1st round knockout
08-09 - 89.6% 1st round knockout
07-08 - 88.3% 1st round knockout

You aren't completely wrong but the capacity numbers are misleading: a couple of years back the capacity of Pru Center was reduced by about a 1,000 for hockey so judging past numbers vs current numbers is something that really can't be done.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars

RBs email blast from last week was showcasing Nani as the main attraction

Glad you brought this up.  That was pathetic.  For those that aren't on their email distribution list, the subject line was: "Nani is Coming to Red Bull Arena!"

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

You are accepting RB numbers, which IMO fail the eyeball test. Posting tickets distributed as legitimate attendances, instead of turnstile counts, is disingenuous.

I read that the NHL also does this, is that the case, and if so what does that mean for Satanshockey's Devils numbers above?

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I read that the NHL also does this, is that the case, and if so what does that mean for Satanshockey's Devils numbers above?

The eyeball test doesn't work, since many people see different amounts and can't agree. Look at our Orlando game with people saying it was an open cup type crowd, which simply isn't true.

The Devils eyeball test doesn't work either because before the current owners we had 6 full sections that provided free food the entire game so you could look at those sections and they would be a lot of empty seats because people are stuffing their faces. The current owners changed it to not include everyone unless you wanted to pay extra for it but still a ton of people do it now and eat most of the game.

Do teams want everyone who has a ticket to show up? Of course but there's always gonna be a bunch that don't. I have numerous season ticket holders near me at the Devils that don't show up every game, they either give the tickets away some times or they can just afford to eat them and it doesn't matter.

Tickets sold is all that really matters in the end.

staab

staab

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Supports:RedBulls

..having a stadium in virtually the middle of nowhere doesn't help. RBA absolutely sucks to get to, although it is easier to get to than Giants Stadium ever was...but for people that don't live in Jersey, or close to the PATH, it still sucks ass to go there. Harrison is a complete dump and it looks like a nuclear bomb went off there.

Also, the team is boring. In the past I could justify a few hours of travel interspersed with drinking in Manhattan to watch Henry, Djuorkaeff, Guevara, Meola, etc. Who do we have worth watching now? Kaku? I like BWP, Kaku, and Royer but a lot of the other guys are really boring...basically just roleplayers. Muyl? Sean Davis? At least guys like Peter Villegas were fun to watch. Most of the players are here for two years...and as a result no one seems to really care; constant ball-less displays in the playoffs and Open Cup as examples. And if anyone from the front office is reading this, yes a LOT of us care about the OPEN CUP. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle
I have always wished the 33rd Street line of the PATH could go straight through all the way to Newark, at least on weekends. That would make life so much easier for fans coming from the city, Hoboken, and Jersey City. Especially for the city crew with the WTC line construction on the weekends.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

fanbase ... is constantly depressed and negative

The club does not help fans enjoy the game.
This year, there are tall Fire Towers behind each goal.
They block the views of fans in the front rows of 101.
I took photos and sent them to my ticket rep.
She said the issue would be reviewed.
Today I got a call from her, that it had been decided that the towers will remain in place for the entire season.
I asked who made the decision to install these towers,
who made the decision to keep them, and whether
that person would have the balls to contact me?
Needless to say, no name was provided.
I was asked if I wanted to move my seat.
I do not. I have had it since RBA opened.
I mentioned that I have been attending since 1996,
and that ignoring legitimate complaints costs fans.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Tickets sold is all that really matters in the end.

I would be happy if RB was actually selling tickets for the prices printed on them. However, the measure at RBA is not tickets sold, but Tickets Distributed. FO hands out thousands of tickets and count them as part of the crowd, even if they are unused.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

..having a stadium in virtually the middle of nowhere doesn't help. RBA absolutely sucks to get to, although it is easier to get to than Giants Stadium ever was...but for people that don't live in Jersey, or close to the PATH, it still sucks ass to go there. Harrison is a complete dump and it looks like a nuclear bomb went off there.

Also, the team is boring. In the past I could justify a few hours of travel interspersed with drinking in Manhattan to watch Henry, Djuorkaeff, Guevara, Meola, etc. Who do we have worth watching now? Kaku? I like BWP, Kaku, and Royer but a lot of the other guys are really boring...basically just roleplayers. Muyl? Sean Davis? At least guys like Peter Villegas were fun to watch. Most of the players are here for two years...and as a result no one seems to really care; constant ball-less displays in the playoffs and Open Cup as examples. And if anyone from the front office is reading this, yes a LOT of us care about the OPEN CUP. 

Getting to RBA feels like a saga to me.  I live on the south shore of Nassau County.  For a weekend game it's LIRR train (off-peak, making all stops) to Penn Station (~50 minutes), slight wait for NJT train to Newark Penn (~20 minutes), then PATH, shuttle, or walk to RBA.  I leave the house about three hours before game time.  All in all, it's a good three hours of commuting for a 90 minute match.  Tough to take the kids more than once or twice a year.  I've never driven for any of the 20+ games I've attended...scared to!

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Getting to RBA feels like a saga to me.  I live on the south shore of Nassau County.  For a weekend game it's LIRR train (off-peak, making all stops) to Penn Station (~50 minutes), slight wait for NJT train to Newark Penn (~20 minutes), then PATH, shuttle, or walk to RBA.  I leave the house about three hours before game time.  All in all, it's a good three hours of commuting for a 90 minute match.  Tough to take the kids more than once or twice a year.  I've never driven for any of the 20+ games I've attended...scared to!

if you live that far out, driving may not be a bad idea.  just don't park near the stadium - park in Newark instead and have some lunch/dinner after the game.

BLewis1968

BLewis1968

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

You are accepting RB numbers, which IMO fail the eyeball test. Posting tickets distributed as legitimate attendances, instead of turnstile counts, is disingenuous.

The eyeball test? How does one eyeball tickets being sold? 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

The eyeball test? How does one eyeball tickets being sold? 

One eyeballs a less than half-filled stadium and laughs at an announced attendance of more than 20,000.
This season, RB has reported home attendance for the first two games of more than 30,000. IMO, the total should be less than 20,000, probably closer to 15,000.
https://soccerstadiu...mls-attendance/

BLewis1968

BLewis1968

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

One eyeballs a less than half-filled stadium and laughs at an announced attendance of more than 20,000.
This season, RB has reported home attendance for the first two games of more than 30,000. IMO, the total should be less than 20,000, probably closer to 15,000.
https://soccerstadiu...mls-attendance/

There is no such thing as "should be." It either is, or is not. They announce tickets sold and or gifted, not turnstile count. That is not up for debate or open to interpretation. If they sell 20,000 and only 100 people show up in the South Ward, the attendance isn't 100; it's 20,000. So again, how are you going to "eyeball" how many tickets some rep is selling?

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

There is no such thing as "should be." It either is, or is not. They announce tickets sold and or gifted, not turnstile count. That is not up for debate or open to interpretation. If they sell 20,000 and only 100 people show up in the South Ward, the attendance isn't 100; it's 20,000. So again, how are you going to "eyeball" how many tickets some rep is selling?

The big question is what proportion is gifted tickets. Announcing sold tickets is fine, but the club has the ability to significantly inflate announced attendances via gifted tickets.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

They announce tickets sold and or gifted, not turnstile count.

Which is NOT attendance!
https://www.merriam-...nary/attendance
https://dictionary.c...lish/attendance
The fact of being at an event.

If they sell 20,000 and only 100 people show up ... the attendance isn't 100; it's 20,000.

RB is not selling 20,000 tickets.
Attendance is butts in seats, not distribution.
Otherwise, RB should distribute every unsold ticket on the morning of each home game, and announce every game as sold out! Forget our eyeballs!
Then, do the same for RBII!
https://en.m.wikiped...per_circulation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users