732 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I gotta say, this loss has the fanbase crankier than its been in a long time. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Good, we should be cranky. Shit was embarrassing.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Losing a cup semi final in embarrassing fashion, check

Squandering an entire transfer window to improve the roster, check

No interest from RBG in what goes on in New York, check

A lot of the staunch supporters of Red Bull are even beginning to turn on ownership.

If you want to be cynical, like most of us here already were, you could say that Red Bull have only cared about a few things since 2015

1) Jesse Marsch
2) Gerhard Struber, I guess
3) New training facility to pump out cheap American talent to Salzburg and Leipzig

Even the new HoS is a Red Bull guy who probably doesnt have much of an incentive to take his job all that seriously.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Most of us saw a very rare opportunity to win a trophy go horribly, embarrassingly awry. We arent winning the Shield and likely arent winning MLS Cup. Season feels like it came to an abrupt end. When fans lose hope the team loses fans.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Even the new HoS is a Red Bull guy who probably doesnt have much of an incentive to take his job all that seriously.

Come on, I could agree with everything else, but that last line is a bit much. The last Head of sport is now at Everton. Jesse is at Leeds via Salzburg and Leipzig. Struber is on an upward trajectory. This place can be a springboard for a career, somehow. Most people in this business are on the lookout for the next job, and you don't get that by not taking your current one seriously.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out
When sports owners are incompetent, the fan still has the team/identity to fall back on. (Ex: hate the Wilpons but love the Mets. Hate Dolan but love the Knicks). When the owner and the team are one in the same like New York RED BULL, it makes it almost impossible to support the club when ownership is incompetent.

NewYorkMyGreatestDesire

NewYorkMyGreatestDesire

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Supports:New York 96

I think Red Bull is a soda company and their whole sporting side is a mess. Outside of RBL, RBS and Red Bull Racing, there seems to be no accountability or plan from the top. I can't imagine how much wasted money they must spend getting guys to sky dive from space, race airplanes, sponsoring every mountain bike competition in the world. They even have two F1 teams, which is just weird. Wasting money on weird ventures is ok with them, part of doing business. What they have done sports side has no corollary anywhere - they are truly unique. There is really no competitor to measure yourself against and that breeds ineptitude. 

To your point, having someone who was really focused on the NY team long term at an emotional level would help. Everyone is here to go somewhere else. That's fine for young players, but coaches, directors, uber-directors (Gomez), all seem to just be padding their resume. "In NY, I was able to get the lowest payroll team to be mid table! Imagine what I could do here!" 

They arent the worst owner from an outside-of-sports integrity point of view, but they are not here to win. They are a rich kid who lackadaisically leaves the convertible top on their Ferrari down for two months outside... they just forgot as they drive the G-wagon most days and park it right in front of the mansion.  

But they are wildly successful in almost every venture they put effort into.  Which makes me question, is it incompetence or is it calculated?  If they wanted to put together a winning team here, they would.  Every other football team they have are winners.  Bragantino will probably win a major trophy before us.  Their F1 team is so dominant they destroy old names like Mercedes and Ferrari in a competition involving cars lol.  They don't view us as worthwhile.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out
Yep well said^. Red Bull is majorly successfully in just about everything/team they own.....except us. If they wanted us to be a top club in MLS every year, they could do it. For whatever reason, this club is the outlier in their portfolio.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

I try to support the 11 guys on the field and leave it at that, because if I focus too much on being the sidepiece of a soda company, you can't help but think there are better places to spend your limited time on Earth than this. 

Metro front office sucked, but eventually they left. RedBull came in, gave us a stadium and better teams, but still made it clear we aren't their top priority. Maybe one day someone else will come in & change that. Or we'll expire next to Beetlejuice in the MLS Cup waiting room, either way. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

When sports owners are incompetent, the fan still has

When in the course of human events ...

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Most of us saw a very rare opportunity to win a trophy go horribly, embarrassingly awry. We arent winning the Shield and likely arent winning MLS Cup. Season feels like it came to an abrupt end. When fans lose hope the team loses fans.

So I take it I'm in the minority in thinking we still have a chance at MLS Cup and the rest of the season isn't a total waste of time?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I'm in the minority in thinking we still have a chance at MLS Cup and the rest of the season isn't a total waste of time?

Yes

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Bjorn The Bear

Bjorn The Bear

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Supports:RBNY - Nets - USMNT

So I take it I'm in the minority in thinking we still have a chance at MLS Cup and the rest of the season isn't a total waste of time?

unless klimala magically turns into a consistent goal scorer than yeah

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

I look at a roster like LAFCs and I have a hard time seeing us winning. Perhaps the season can be judged not a waste of time if we play spoiler and knock out NYC.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

In better position than the past 3 seasons, sure.

Red Bull/Hamlett/Schneider are in the process of cutting a giant hole in this teams sail.

They could have made things less of a crapshoot heading into the stretch run/playoffs. The lack of depth along the back line and at striker make a single injury a potential death knell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users